The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2013, 10:49 PM   #1
downbytheriver

5.3 Turbo swap 68 Stepside C10-Project Sky Dogggg maannnnn

Picked the truck up from Hotlanta, so I figured it'd need a fitting name.

I bought this old girl last weekend, and drove it from South of Atlanta to Jacksonville, FL. Well...I drove it all the way to I-10, and the two truck driver took it to Jacksonville It overheated due to a hose "failure", aka a bent hose connecting the heater core sides of the water pump. Yikes. Hagerty insurance took care of the roadside pretty quickly. Nothing like getting on I-75 in ATL the first time you've driven one of these old trucks. Talk about a little pucker!

Anyway, the truck is a 68 c10 that's been in one family for the last 30 years. It's been pretty well maintained, but it's definitely been painted, once white and then once red I believe. The pictures look wayyyy better than it does in person. It'll need lots of body work, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

The idea behind this truck to do a rolling project whenever possible. I'd like to enjoy this truck on weekends, etc. and still do things the right way. Any advice that anyone has when it comes to that or anything else is much appreciated. I'll be starting off by giving her a tune up this weekend and trying to get rid of some parts to get it into my garage, where the real fun will begin.

The 5.3w/4l60e that a friend scored for $450! Still needs finishing, when it's on the frame.

ECE suspension drop kit, adjustable track bar, brake kit with 6 lug rotos etc.

Austin loves riding in the Audi, but isn't too sure of what to think about the giant beast in the driveway...he'll come around. On the way to the dog park tonight, he sat basically in my damn lap. On the way from the park, he had his face buried into the wind outside.

downbytheriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #2
Low Elco

Re: 5.3 swap 68 Stepside C10-Project Sky Dogggg maannnnn

Sweet ol truck! What else ya gonna do to it?

PS- what's the deal with the tore down one in the garage?
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
bigguy69
dazed and confused

Looks to be a great start!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2013, 09:15 PM   #4
downbytheriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Sweet ol truck! What else ya gonna do to it?

PS- what's the deal with the tore down one in the garage?
The plan now is to bag the back, and do a 4.5" drop in the front. I'm going for more go than show, so I'll just fix some major body stuff and give it a flat light blue paint. I like the idea of it looking like crap on the outside, as strange as that sounds. I'll do it as I go, instead of just tearing into it without really knowing what I'm doing, like the last one. I'm in the middle of doing research on what wheels will fit with the drop I'll have. I think I've settled on either rallyes or cragar soft 8s.

First thing is to get this frame out of the garage so I can work, then it'll be getting the wheels in to swap the brakes and do the drop. Then, do the frame front and rear while I have everything apart and get the motor in.

The other frame is a project I started and then I realized I would rather work on one that's running and do a little at a time. The good news is I basically have all my money out of the last one

The dog seems to be enjoying this truck more and more everyday:

Old 06-09-2013, 12:10 AM   #5
downbytheriver

I've been collecting parts and doing lots of research for the past two weeks, and now that I've cleaned the garage out and have gotten rid of my last "project", it's time to finally get to work!

I'll include a price list for everything I buy, to hopefully make it easier for those doing the same build. I have found some incredible deals recently, so this may not be accurate for everyone. Also, there's an exciting surprise that I came across today

Garage is clean, and old project is gone:

New lights hung so I can see better. Will be wiring them to the house AC soon:

Wheels and tires came in, had them mounted and balanced:

Decided to plasti-dip the wheels white, as it'll go with the light blue a lot better. I still have to remove the overspray from the tires:

Picked up radiator, fans and exhaust manifolds out of a 2000 firebird formula for $100:

Trying to get everything ready for the engine to come out tomorrow. I pulled the front end apart, and just have to tackle the fenders and radiator support tomorrow morning. Noticed some rust that will need to be fixed where the heater fan was. I'm going to shave that area anyway. Overall, the truck is pretty solid, and while it does need some things (rockers, fender bottoms, one cab support, and most likely both corners), it's in fairly good shape.

I had to evict the last tenant of the truck:

Old 06-09-2013, 12:22 AM   #6
downbytheriver

Here's that surprise I was talking about earlier:

Didn't really expect to take this so far, but what the hell, right?? My plan is to get the engine running and driving NA, then save for the rest of the turbo build parts and try to finish that over the winter.

.76 intake/.70 hot side. It needs a rebuild, but I got it for $150, so couldn't pass that up.

Price list so far:
-5.3 L59/4L60e - $450, CL
-Harness from 2004 Escalade - $90, CL
-Radiator/Fans/exhaust manifolds from 2000 LS1 - $100, CL
-Wheels/tires - $800, ebay
-Wabro 255 fuel pump - $100, left over from my WRX
-PCM, TAC module, pedal, harness, OBD2 from 2004 tahoe, $160, car-part
-Fuel cell, 16 gallon w/sending unit and foam- $182, summit
-Fuse block, blue sea systems - $45, amazon

Very cheap so far (relatively speaking), and if you're patient you can find deals that even better than these.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:27 AM   #7
z-iowa

Im in man im diggin the wheel and tire combo!
Posted via Mobile Device
z-iowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:56 AM   #8
502ms

You came to Atlanta and didn't see Dianah! Sweet truck! Keep it stepside.....love the idea you have
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-11-2013, 10:06 AM   #9
Low Elco

Looks like good progress! Dogs love trucks!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:00 AM   #10
Hardesty454

Great job so far, keep up the progress. I know how it is to dig into a project and it spin out of control. My current build started out as a static drop and moving the gas tank to the rear. Its slowly turning into and bagged, ls swap, 68 clip swap hot mess. Focusing on little project keeps motivation.

Good luck, cant wait to follow along!

1971 c10 - ground up in progress

Tripp's Speed Shop Build -
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=589750
Hardesty454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:22 PM   #11
downbytheriver

Thanks guys. Leon, yours is one of the LS swaps that I bookmarked for reference.

Okay, so got even more parts in this week. I'm really just waiting on my friend to come over with his engine hoist, then I can really go to town. The plan is to get a quick and dirty paint job on it the weekend of the 29th. Going with 507 paint. Not doing really any of the body work now, besides fixing the firewall rust. Next year when I decide what kind of "show" it needs, then I'll get the major stuff done then. For now, it's more "go", and looking like a crappy old farm truck...dents and all

Anyway, here's what came in:

That turbo from a friend, and 72 lb trick flow injectors from craigslist. For ONE HUNDRED BUCKS! He also threw in a fuel pressure gauge.

PCM, TAC module, throttle pedal, and OBDII port. I got them from a place called Carney's in Iowa for $160 shipped. They were good to work with, and I found them on car-part.

CPP notch, and lokar linkage, shock relocation kit, and trailing arm bushings from ECE. Those guys at ECE are great, and very helpful. I have a lot of their products, and they seem to be of great quality. The CPP notch was on sale on ebay, and I think I'm going to be welding it in as well for strength.

A lot of the stuff I had for my last project, where I got in over my head. It's a damn good thing I love these trucks and kept with a C10 so I can use them

Going to test fit the wiring harness and see where I want to put the PCM in the cab when I get the engine out. I'll probably need to lengthen it, because I believe everything was in the engine bay in the Escalade.

I know, very little work and lots of money spent. Now I just need to get that engine out and get moving!
Old 06-13-2013, 10:33 PM   #12
downbytheriver

The other thing I'm anticipating having to do sooner than later is take a look at the transmission. It's just a stock 4l65-e, and I'm thinking that it won't be long for the world if I make it to my goal of ~500 whp. I'll be running the stock rear end with 3.73s, street tires, and eventually a richmond lock right. No strip or racing, just cruising and highway boost. I'm sure that takes significantly more stress off the tranny.

I think I'd like to just have the l65 built, but I've also considered an l80. Will the 80 fit with a low hump?
Old 06-30-2013, 10:40 PM   #13
downbytheriver

Had a busy past couple of weeks at work as railroad construction season is in full swing. Finally got around to getting some work done, including doing body work for the first time. I don't know how much you guys make doing bodywork full time, but I promise it isn't enough This is one area where someone definitely needs to follow up on what I do.

Anyway, got the engine and tranny pulled, the gas tank pulled, and the filler panel for the gas tank and the firewall shaved. A buddy came over to do some welding, and we got a bunch done:

Our ghetto firewall shaving template made with notebook paper and greasy fingers:

Here's the little bit of body I did, in sequence. I didn't snap a picture of the end of it, but it seemed pretty smooth. I used short chop bondo glass and then USC icing polyester finishing putty. The icing stuff was really easy to work with, and forgiving/. The first few pictures look like a disaster in the making, but it actually turned out alright.

The same friend is remodeling a house, and found me these sweet cabinets for DIRT cheap. I spent today picking them up and installing them. I figured I'd do it while the truck was gone, so I got them hung and started painting them. Pretty nice cabinets, and they'll give me plenty of storage.

I sent the truck for paint (bass ackwards, i know) because I just wanted something temporary until I have an idea of what I really want the truck to be. Right now I'm only concentrating on the mechanical stuff. I should be able to get a lot more done this week.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:09 AM   #14
SeTx67

Great progress so far. I'll be following along to see how the turbo 5.3 turns out. I'm torn between that or a heads and cam 6.0 or 6.2. That's a long ways off for me though
Posted via Mobile Device
SeTx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:14 PM   #15
downbytheriver

Thanks. I'd like an NA motor, but it was just more money than I was willing to spend. The 5.3 is a pretty good platform what boost, from what I've been reading. There's a ton of good info on ls1tech. I wanted a 6.0, but I got such a good deal on the 5.3 that I couldn't pass it up. Do you have a build thread?
Old 07-01-2013, 10:17 PM   #16
SeTx67

No build thread yet. I need to take a few pics and get one started soon. So far all I've done is plan and order a few parts. It's about to take off though
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #17
downbytheriver

Well, got a little preview of what the painter did. Should be able to pick her up tomorrow.

Not bad for a temporary paint job of $400!
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #18
mcbassin
Still Learning

I love the LS engine. Sounds like you have some cool plans for the truck.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #19
downbytheriver

Not much going on at the moment, but figured I'd update with how the truck looks now. I have to tear it back apart and finish the engine bay and frame. I should probably should have called this project ass backwards. Don't mind the white on the tire, it's plasti-dip that I haven't scraped off yet.

Also, I have to finish painting the cabinets, so don't mind those either

Old 07-17-2013, 09:24 AM   #20
SeTx67

How well does the ls1 radiator fit in the core support? I was thinking about trying it out but since you already have one I'd love to see some pics

Finally started my build thread if you wanna check it out. It's boring right now though
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-14-2013, 10:13 AM   #21
downbytheriver

Finally ordered the front end rebuild parts, so I decided to start going to town on the frame. The ball joints were riveted, and a real bear. Getting 45 years of rust, crap, tar and Georgia clay off of that frame was not a pleasant experience either. Now I need to move to the firewall and finish shaving it. Once it's painted, I'll be ready to drop the engine in. Finally!

Next on the li$t:
-order f body oil pan
If anyone needs one for their swap, I found this site, which is by far the cheapest:
https://www.superchevyperformance.co...tCode=12628771
-order rod bolts
-order fitting for turbo oil feed and drill that sucker into the pan for future use
-figure out what kind of stall I need for that cam and turbo
Old 10-22-2013, 10:39 PM   #22
downbytheriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeTx67 View Post
How well does the ls1 radiator fit in the core support? I was thinking about trying it out but since you already have one I'd love to see some pics

Finally started my build thread if you wanna check it out. It's boring right now though
Posted via Mobile Device
Sorry for the late response, just saw this. I can take some pictures tomorrow if you want. it fits pretty well, but the fbody radiator just needs a few plastic tabs cut off. I can snap some pics tomorrow or thursday.

Got some more done, just need to do some touch ups and then reassemble the front end. I mashed the threads on the lower control arm u-bolts, so I need to find some of those tomorrow before everything goes back together. The end of this frame grinding/painting crap in the front can't come fast enough...I hate it. It won't be as bad from here though, as all the nooks and crannies are up front.

Next up is to remove the cab and keep working my way back. The f body oil pan came in, so I need to paint that and get the engine in. If anyone is looking for an oil pan for a lowered truck with an LS motor, the cheapest I've found one is here:
https://www.superchevyperformance.co...tCode=12628771

Be sure to get the windage tray, pickup, dipstick tube and dipstick. Takes the newer style oil filter (PF48). I need to weld in an oil drain for the turbo setup and then paint. Hopefully I'll have the engine in the truck within the next two weeks.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:46 AM   #23
mcbassin
Still Learning

Awesome progress! Love all the new parts
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:59 AM   #24
AMERICAN PICK-UP

i like this one.
AMERICAN PICK-UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #25
downbytheriver

VERY productive 11 hours yesterday!

A buddy came over yesterday around 6 to just get the front end back on. At around 2 am, we decided to just go ahead and put the engine in to make room for the cab in the garage. Everything went well, except for Moog, who shorted me all the parts for the upper ball joint, and the fact that the oil pan is hanging up on the crossmember.

The mounts were ECEs, and we used the two outer holes on the top of the frame. For the bottom part of the mounts, we drilled two holes in the crossmember. I need to take a look at moving the mounts back a little bit further or using some kind of spacer to lift the engine up from the mount. Does anyone have any advice about that?

Anyway here are the pics from yesterday. There's still some touching up to do, but everything is on the truck. The engine looked great from what little I could see when the pan was changed out...the cross hatching that I could see looked really good. This really is a low mileage engine, which I was unsure of when I bought it. The guy that sold it to me said there was around 50k on it, but you know how that could go. For $450 though, can't go wrong!

The fbody oil pan was put on, and it made a significant difference. I wouldn't even dream of using the truck oil pan with a truck this low. The line for the turbo oil return was also drilled. If anyone is doing it for theirs, there's a valley in the f body pan that's perfect for one. This was not the one we used The motor mount is obstructing it a little, so I'll have to get a 90 degree fitting for it.

So far, so good. The cab will come off this week, and now I can start doing the work on finishing the firewall, and doing the rest of the frame.