The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-12-2018, 10:24 AM   #1801
MARTINSR

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebte View Post
That’s great, I enjoy seeing items reused. New is always nice, but sometimes it’s nice to know people repurposed something. I guess in a way the whole truck has been repurposed.

Crazy how something so knurled can make something so beautiful, reminds me of the old guys growing up. They looked like life was terrible, but the hot rod was a thing of beauty.
Thanks, yeah, that car is beautiful my brother has a heck of an eye. I hate to see it go, he just sold it a few days ago, we built in in the early nineties. From pulling the 1922 Buick body out of a farmers field to rolling it into the Oakland Roadster show, my brother and I were side by side in the project. Wonderful memories. Our dad was a Buick salesman, so building an all Buick hotrod was a big deal to us.

Brian
Attached Images

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:36 AM   #1802
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Thanks, yeah, that car is beautiful my brother has a heck of an eye. I hate to see it go, he just sold it a few days ago, we built in in the early nineties. From pulling the 1922 Buick body out of a farmers field to rolling it into the Oakland Roadster show, my brother and I were side by side in the project. Wonderful memories. Our dad was a Buick salesman, so building an all Buick hotrod was a big deal to us.

Brian
VERY cool !!!
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:23 PM   #1803
evilokc

didn't do anything to the truck directly. every vehicle I own broke at the same time. my wife has a newer Hyundai sonata that suddenly had a charging issue. she started driving my firebird while I tried in vein to fix her sonata. while she was driving my firebird the rear brakes went out on it and had to be replaced. my truck is almost back together. it literally needs the two radiator hoses put back on, the alternator belt tightened, and battery hooked back up. so 30 minutes of work? however Ive been working on everything else and my tools ended up ALL OVER the garage. I spent about an hour and a half wiping all my tools down and putting them in their homes and sweeping up. feels good to have my garage back. maybe I will get the chance to get the death rattle fired in the next couple of days. sure miss driving that thing.
evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:44 PM   #1804
mikebte

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilokc View Post
didn't do anything to the truck directly. every vehicle I own broke at the same time. my wife has a newer Hyundai sonata that suddenly had a charging issue. she started driving my firebird while I tried in vein to fix her sonata. while she was driving my firebird the rear brakes went out on it and had to be replaced. my truck is almost back together. it literally needs the two radiator hoses put back on, the alternator belt tightened, and battery hooked back up. so 30 minutes of work? however Ive been working on everything else and my tools ended up ALL OVER the garage. I spent about an hour and a half wiping all my tools down and putting them in their homes and sweeping up. feels good to have my garage back. maybe I will get the chance to get the death rattle fired in the next couple of days. sure miss driving that thing.
Completely understand your pain, when it rains it pours. Life of a do it yourselfer.
Way to tackle the challenge head on and find time to organize in the process.
mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:00 PM   #1805
Black_Sheep

Quote:

Brian
That's really cool! I'd have a hard time letting go of something so special...

The correct window regulators showed up today so I was able to get the driver's side assembled. The passenger side will have to wait until tomorrow night...
Attached Images

Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:29 PM   #1806
MARTINSR

As I finished doing something on the truck I walked away feeling like I did nothing because I don't know what to do. First, I sand blasted the striker and components on the hood only to wonder, ok, what the heck do I do now with it? They were zinc plated I assume, which was long gone. So what the heck, paint them so they get all scratched? I am thinking just priming with with an etch zinc primer and a thin coat of paint.

I then removed all the hub cap clips on the 50ish Chevy wheels I have to have them sand blasted. But it hits me, do I really want these? They are only 5" wide, they were gotten when I was building a super accurate Motorama truck, now it's going to be a daily driver so maybe I need to be thinking 6"? I do want to run white walls and all that, but may be I should be going 6" with a little wider tire for day to day use?

Geeez

Brian
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2018, 09:45 AM   #1807
my56chevytruck

Quote:
Damn Mark that looks good! WOW

Got the doors primed up first thing this morning. It's so funny, I haven't painted regularly in so long, I have been a little uneasy as I do it. Mixing, getting things ready, I just have been fighting in my brain to do it right. I prime something and then don't do it again for months so I don't get "in it." Today I felt a big change, I knew by the weight of the gun as I was spraying that it was out of primer, that made me feel good. It's so funny, I have sprayed literally thousands of gallons of primer, paint, clear in my life and now after not doing it for 18 years regularly so much has been forgotten.

Brian
The painting looks good Brian, nice and even. So what color/brand are you planning for the final??
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:49 AM   #1808
my56chevytruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep View Post
Rolling SEM bed liner on the wheel wells to protect from rocks, etc... I also did the step area to provide a scratch resistant coating.
I've been kicking around the idea of putting down the bed liner on the step area for a while, I like what I see. Very good idea and thanks
Old 09-13-2018, 09:50 AM   #1809
my56chevytruck

Quote:
That's really cool! I'd have a hard time letting go of something so special...

The correct window regulators showed up today so I was able to get the driver's side assembled. The passenger side will have to wait until tomorrow night...
Looks very good Mark
Old 09-13-2018, 09:55 AM   #1810
my56chevytruck

Quote:
I got the hood latch sandblasted and ready for primer, that's about it, but's something!

Brian
every step is one step closer, looks great
Old 09-13-2018, 10:02 AM   #1811
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by my56chevytruck View Post
The painting looks good Brian, nice and even. So what color/brand are you planning for the final??
I want to use SPI all the way through but I am not sure if they have the color I want. So I have color chips I am going to compare with the colors I am after, I think I will be going with 58 Corvette Signet red.

There is a LONG way to go as I have a million hours of body work, all the primer I have been spraying is over unfinished metal work, epoxy to get it protected so I could move on.

Brian

Old 09-13-2018, 04:44 PM   #1812
mr48chev

No big progress just marking one item off the list of things to get. A guy had an add on Craigslist that he was parting out an 06 Equanox and I snagged the electric power steering unit from him for a real decent price.

I had to load up some scrap and sell it to pay for it ( being on retirement pay will do that to you) but got rid of some stuff that was in the way and cut the out of pocket cost down in the process. I'll have to get the module kit to make it work but that can wait a while.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 05:50 PM   #1813
mikebte

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
No big progress just marking one item off the list of things to get. A guy had an add on Craigslist that he was parting out an 06 Equanox and I snagged the electric power steering unit from him for a real decent price.
That will be cool to see you get that set up. Something I have never considered doing.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:10 PM   #1814
my56chevytruck

In comparison to so many current projects, mine is very minor. But still important to fix and maintain. Today I had to find why my brake pedal was sticking and the engine would maintain a higher rpm occassionnaily. Having fixed both of those matters, I did what I now enjoy doing; detailing the engine.
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2018, 07:31 PM   #1815
Black_Sheep

Quote:
In comparison to so many current projects, mine is very minor. But still important to fix and maintain. Today I had to find why my brake pedal was sticking and the engine would maintain a higher rpm occassionnaily. Having fixed both of those matters, I did what I now enjoy doing; detailing the engine.
That’s a nice looking engine compartment!
Old 09-13-2018, 07:48 PM   #1816
oldman3

Yes one nice looking engine bay...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:15 PM   #1817
mikebte

Quote:
Maintaining matter, after all the only reason we have projects is due to the lack of.

I started prepping my driveshaft for new U joints. Also removed my Cruise Control module from my old car due to it wanting to go full James Bond at an intersection this evening.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:24 PM   #1818
Black_Sheep

I managed to put the passenger side glass is in tonight without scratching anything. Both windows go up and down smoothly and nothing rattles. The front and rear glass goes in this weekend.

I got the peep mirror installed too...
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2018, 10:49 PM   #1819
DransportGarage

Quote:
That's a piece of jewelry...

I did get a few more pieces ready for paint today -- steering wheel, glove box & hinge, hood hinges & springs. Waiting for these two hurricanes (Gordon and Florence) to get out of here so I can paint.
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:45 AM   #1820
MARTINSR

I did next to nothing, but something. I marked all the running board brackets so I could remove them and know where they go. I knocked the top of the rivets off with the little grinder so I can center punch and drill them tomorrow.

I also got a call that the sand blasting is done so hopefully I can go get the stuff tomorrow.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2018, 12:57 AM   #1821
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Where did you get those peep mirrors? How are they attached - screws through the door frame or hook over the top of the door?
Old 09-14-2018, 08:22 AM   #1822
Black_Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
Where did you get those peep mirrors? How are they attached - screws through the door frame or hook over the top of the door?
It was designed to clamp over the edge of the door frame but there wasn’t enough room to clear the drip rail. I removed the clamp and put a screw through the frame. The base needed some massaging to fit the contour of the sheet metal.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:46 AM   #1823
my56chevytruck

Quote:
I managed to put the passenger side glass is in tonight without scratching anything. Both windows go up and down smoothly and nothing rattles. The front and rear glass goes in this weekend.

Hey Mark, that really looks great. Nice looking ride
Morrie
Old 09-14-2018, 09:47 AM   #1824
my56chevytruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman3 View Post
Yes one nice looking engine bay...Jim
thank you Jim
Morrie
Old 09-14-2018, 01:11 PM   #1825
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebte View Post
That will be cool to see you get that set up. Something I have never considered doing.
I'm doing it for a couple of reasons, first I can run a Vintage air compressor bracket that puts the AC compresser on the left side above the alternator on my 292 and get it down out of sight a bit. Second, I have a real nice manual rack that came with the 92 Dakota donor truck for the front suspension and won't have to deal with a power rack, or pump, hose, belt or what not. The end cost with the electric ps unit and the kit to make it work is about the same though so it isn't really a money saver. Just less clutter under the hood.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote