The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-14-2012, 12:34 PM   #76
mknittle

Re: My 1950 dog hauling, trailer towing, daily driver Suburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWFISHER View Post
Yes. When It started puffing coolant out the exhaust, that was my first idea....pull the cap and look as it hadn't heated up much and pressure wouldnt be extreme. I pulled it and no bubbles at that time, but it was like falling off a bridge-everything was happening so fast, but in slow motion at the same time.

I just had a call from a buddy here in town, whom I have never talked to before 9am and he says " I woke up in the middle of the night remebering a neighbor that Dad was helping with a 235 and the same thing happened. It was when I was 10, but I remember he built a motor and it ran great the first drive. He parked it and the next day it smoked. Dad ran a torque wrench on ALL of the head bolts and found one that had settled".
I told him that I had put a socket on most of them last night, but will run a torque wrench on ALL of them today at lunch before I by pass the heated intake.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and support!
you know if the head has the lump port mod there are hidden head bolts in the ports.
Acess through the 1/2' pipe plugs under the valve cover.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:13 PM   #77
NEWFISHER

Here's what I did at lunch:
By-passed the Clifford coolant heated system, tightened all external hose clamps etc. ran a torque wrench at 95 ft. lbs in the correct order ( found 1 that was about 93 lbs.), pulled the plugs and the HEI coil wire and cranked it over. No signs of wet plugs or thumb-on-hole coolant from cylinders. Re-installed the plugs and fired it up. I added water to top it off and watched for bubbles-none. No smoke for 2-3 minutes, then slight white smoke, but nothing like the other day, probobly just burn off from excess in the exhaust system. Ran for 30 minutes with no external leaks, no bubles, it dropped the coolant level in the radiator and pushed to the overflow when the Tstat opened. I checked again and no smoke, shut it off and now letting it sit until tomorrow to let it relax and see what we have. If it is still good, then i will test drive it for the first time and let it go back through cool down, re-install the heated manifold system and see what happens. So far it looks like the head gasket I ordered isn't going to be needed--fingers crossed
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:48 PM   #78
mknittle

Quote:
Here's what I did at lunch:
By-passed the Clifford coolant heated system, tightened all external hose clamps etc. ran a torque wrench at 95 ft. lbs in the correct order ( found 1 that was about 93 lbs.), pulled the plugs and the HEI coil wire and cranked it over. No signs of wet plugs or thumb-on-hole coolant from cylinders. Re-installed the plugs and fired it up. I added water to top it off and watched for bubbles-none. No smoke for 2-3 minutes, then slight white smoke, but nothing like the other day, probobly just burn off from excess in the exhaust system. Ran for 30 minutes with no external leaks, no bubles, it dropped the coolant level in the radiator and pushed to the overflow when the Tstat opened. I checked again and no smoke, shut it off and now letting it sit until tomorrow to let it relax and see what we have. If it is still good, then i will test drive it for the first time and let it go back through cool down, re-install the heated manifold system and see what happens. So far it looks like the head gasket I ordered isn't going to be needed--fingers crossed
sounds good so far pulling for you buddy.

My GMC build.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:06 PM   #79
NEWFISHER

I drove it today and worked out the little bugs. Hooked the heated intake back up and I think it must have been the one loose head bolt. I only have light bluish white smoke on start up like an umbrella seal is leaking oil through a valve guide or the oil rings aren't seated yet? Goes away in 5 seconds and doesn't smoke between shifts. Power has to be double what I had. Torque is awsome off the bottom through mid range. I run out of gears really fast which is ok with drum brakes and skinny bias plys . Entering the freeway is like driving a new car, left lane all the way. The out of the box Holley needs some fine tuning, but nothing to worry about. I ran a tank through it driving around all day. Some freeway, mostly town driving to break it in and vary the rpm. I'm going to try to get a spot to convert over to the 700r4 next weekend. Should be sweet with the 3:73's and the torque this motor makes! Ill try to get some finished pics of the motor tomorrow, I was too busy stomping the gas pedal today.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-15-2012, 11:38 PM   #80
youngrodder

Nice work, we knew that you would figure it out. It must have felt great to put some miles behind you.

Marc

1948 Chevy Truck - Finished SOLD!!

1953 Chevy Suburban "Family Truckster" Completed: Spring of 2021
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=605484

1994 4x4 Blazer - "Field Find"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ferrerid=30857
youngrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:13 AM   #81
mknittle

Great news!!
i am following your threads close as your new engine is what I am wanting to build.
Is the four speed you have the stock SM420? Anyway I am looking forward to the pictures

My GMC build.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:21 AM   #82
Coach529

Very awesome....sounds like my dream engine!!

"Adventures of Henry"

http://smu.gs/QOlhWY
Coach529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:11 AM   #83
NEWFISHER

Youngrodder, lots of sssssmiles today

Mknittle, its the sm465 I've been told. It had a 250 , tranny and open drive changed out long ago. Are you looking for a 4speed? You can have this one if you want to ship it or come get it.

Coach, it a great engine combo. I really like the looks of the 6's after having cars and trucks with 8's its neat to talk about the 6 in something when guys asume its got an 8 under the hood. I like the look of the 6 and with the torque and power od this set up, it would be hard to get me back to 8's unless its a low geared, blown or turboed big block just to run around and scare the neighborhoods.
I have had several 6's now in different cars and trucks and this one is fun and would build the next one just like it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #84
mknittle

Quote:
Youngrodder, lots of sssssmiles today

Mknittle, its the sm465 I've been told. It had a 250 , tranny and open drive changed out long ago. Are you looking for a 4speed? You can have this one if you want to ship it or come get it.

Coach, it a great engine combo. I really like the looks of the 6's after having cars and trucks with 8's its neat to talk about the 6 in something when guys asume its got an 8 under the hood. I like the look of the 6 and with the torque and power od this set up, it would be hard to get me back to 8's unless its a low geared, blown or turboed big block just to run around and scare the neighborhoods.
I have had several 6's now in different cars and trucks and this one is fun and would build the next one just like it.
Posted via Mobile Device
i have pleanty of truck 4 speeds thanks anyway.
I just wondered.When you said you ran out of gears real fast.

I went looking for a 5 speed tuesday but no luck. so I probably will just clean up my M21 or t-10 to start with.
I think a torquey 250 or 292 would be fun with a "car tranny"

My GMC build.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:47 PM   #85
NEWFISHER

A couple friends of mine are bummed I'm switching to 700r4 instead of a 5 speed, but I have always had sticks in the toys until I did the 55 wagon. It had a powerglide and I just liked getting in it at 6am , selecting one gear and driving 35 miles to work. 11 hours later, doing the same thing home. I also think with the rolling hills in the valley that we have here and pulling the trailer on the weekends camping, it will havea better "gear" to pull in.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #86
NEWFISHER

Here's some finished pics (needs to be cleaned up and polished a little). The green thing hanging off the right side radiator support is my 1940's fire extinguisher/coolant overflow bottle. You can see in one off the pics you have to bend the firewall to left fender support rod to clear the air cleaner. Working on another tank of fuel through it in town , stop and go etc to break it in today with the dogs.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2012, 07:04 PM   #87
Divine 59

SO....did the dogs give you "paws up"?
Divine 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:21 PM   #88
mknittle

Quote:
A couple friends of mine are bummed I'm switching to 700r4 instead of a 5 speed, but I have always had sticks in the toys until I did the 55 wagon. It had a powerglide and I just liked getting in it at 6am , selecting one gear and driving 35 miles to work. 11 hours later, doing the same thing home. I also think with the rolling hills in the valley that we have here and pulling the trailer on the weekends camping, it will havea better "gear" to pull in.
Posted via Mobile Device
I Am the opposite I miss the 18 speed in the dumptruck i used to drive.
That was the perfect transmission. a gear for every thing

By the way the sub just keeps getting better!

My GMC build.

Last edited by mknittle; 12-16-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #89
NEWFISHER

I haven't updated my thread at all, no pic's etc after the 700r4 swap and to be honest, everything is working so well, having so much fun driving it that I forget to snap some pic's etc and post. Well here's a little documentaion and if there aren't pic's it didn't happen right?
New Lokar black series 23" SINGLE BEND SHIFTER this thing is awsome. Very well designed bracket that mounts to trans, fully adjustable almost to a fault.

I tossed and turned on which method to use for 4th gear lock up. Lots of tech, lots of PM's to those who have installed different ways to do this and had members here PM me with diagrams for DIY. It came down to ( for me) using or incorporating a vacuum switch and wiring it direct. Some use a brake switch or brake switch and vacuum, but when you apply the brake the vacuum changes in the engine and I wanted to keep it as simple as possible. Some just re-pin the connector and add 12v power to the 4th gear pressure switch and front solonoid, super simple but gives a harsher feel in 4th. By adding the vacuum switch, there is a delay and a softer shift then lock up. Instead of building a harness ( which I will do next time with a 1985 gvan or kpu firewall vacuum switch) I Fleabay'd a TCI kit for $79.95 shipped that was a breeeze to install. Here it is installed under the valve body. For those that will use the TCI 4th gear lock up kit for 700r4, the instrucions are orientated with pic's as if it is upside down on a bench not standing underneath it. This pic shows the new harness and the location of the 4th gear pressure switch

And a cool pic in front of the "Giant flash light beam in the sky " machine on New Years Eve for the fun run. Crappy cell phone pic, it really looked cooler in person with the whole inside cab on fire with light. I need some phot classes from Coach on here!
Old 01-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #90
**grumpy**

Awesome!

I was pulling for you to win the JB give-away on the HAMB.

Oh well, the burb looks great
Old 01-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #91
NEWFISHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by **grumpy** View Post
Awesome!

I was pulling for you to win the JB give-away on the HAMB.

Oh well, the burb looks great
HA! Thanks, I would have totally rocked that 4 link and sparked up the interstate with some magnesium blocks
Old 01-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #92
CHIZZLER
SAVING ONE TRUCK AT A TIME

truck looks great.
61-crew cab D-max

"PAY LESS FOR WHAT YOU NEED PAY MORE FOR WHAT YOU WANT"

53 BURBAN BARN FIND:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=404091

1940 PROJECT MOON SHINE:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=551088

1961 CREW MAX: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=6957999
CHIZZLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #93
Coach529

Looks awesome!!

"Adventures of Henry"

http://smu.gs/QOlhWY
Coach529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #94
paintman

Hey Fish, what size carb is that on your Clifford 390?
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #95
NEWFISHER

Thanks Chizzler and Coach.

Paintman....Yes, 390 Holley. I have never been a fan of Holley ( leaking , hard to tune etc.) but this one seems pretty good out of the box. Installed the jets that Clifford recommended for a 6 and it's ok, but has the Buuuuh - haaaa just off idle on light tip in acceleration. Mash it to the floor and works just like a Holley should. I haven't ran any numbers to figure out fuel milage because 1) new motor and wanted to get past break in and 2) new motor and can't keep my foot out of it--hehehe. It does require LESS trips to the gas station and is noticeably better on the wallet than the worn out engine with a single carb.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #96
paintman

Quote:
Thanks Chizzler and Coach.

Paintman....Yes, 390 Holley. I have never been a fan of Holley ( leaking , hard to tune etc.) but this one seems pretty good out of the box. Installed the jets that Clifford recommended for a 6 and it's ok, but has the Buuuuh - haaaa just off idle on light tip in acceleration. Mash it to the floor and works just like a Holley should. I haven't ran any numbers to figure out fuel milage because 1) new motor and wanted to get past break in and 2) new motor and can't keep my foot out of it--hehehe. It does require LESS trips to the gas station and is noticeably better on the wallet than the worn out engine with a single carb.
I'm assuming your running pretty much stock internals in the motor? Reason i ask is because I have the same Clifford intake but I am not sure if a 390 will be big enough with the cam I plan on using and the lumps I will have in the head. I was told with lumps the head flows about 30% more.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #97
NEWFISHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
I'm assuming your running pretty much stock internals in the motor? Reason i ask is because I have the same Clifford intake but I am not sure if a 390 will be big enough with the cam I plan on using and the lumps I will have in the head. I was told with lumps the head flows about 30% more.
Its the same motor in Crescent City,Ca you were posting about over on the Hamb last year, he wanted $3,000 for it. Comp Cams High Energy 252H part#: 61-232-4, milled head, bored .40 over, dual z28 springs, lumps from Tom at 12bolt, flat tops, balenced. It could use a larger cfm to perform, it's pulls good now but you can tell it's restricted and wants to run. It does get good mpg's and that was more of what I was looking for during the winter with my 75+ mile commute a day. This summer I will step into the 500 cfm range and see what happens. I have a couple different carbs to play around with.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:46 PM   #98
Wheelie

Oh man, I have a soft spot for the old suburbans and yours is a looker. Very cool!
Old 01-10-2013, 11:01 PM   #99
paintman

Quote:
Its the same motor in Crescent City,Ca you were posting about over on the Hamb last year, he wanted $3,000 for it. Comp Cams High Energy 252H part#: 61-232-4, milled head, bored .40 over, dual z28 springs, lumps from Tom at 12bolt, flat tops, balenced. It could use a larger cfm to perform, it's pulls good now but you can tell it's restricted and wants to run. It does get good mpg's and that was more of what I was looking for during the winter with my 75+ mile commute a day. This summer I will step into the 500 cfm range and see what happens. I have a couple different carbs to play around with.
Really??!!! Man I wanted that motor of yours, I just couldn't get past the $750 to ship it out here to NJ. I think you got a great deal if you got it for 3K I know mine is going to cost around 4,500 and that's without all the bling I want.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:50 AM   #100
NEWFISHER

Him and his Dad set it up on an engine stand and broke the cam in with Joe Gibbs oil. I drove halfway and sold an Apache I was cleaning up to drive while the burb was going to be down and then drove the other half of the trip to pick up the motor. $2500 was to good to pass up. I gave away the old motor (still have the HEI and coil, carb and new fuel pump), gave away the 4spd and used the profit on "Patchy" to fund the trip the and the motor. It's a good mix build. Follow Tom @ 12bolt.com and you can't go wrong. I used his 2.5 inch to a 3 chamber magnaflow and couldn't be happier. I pull up to parts stores, rod shops, garages etc that I had been before and get the question "when did you swap a V8 into that thing" all the time. I pop the hood and then get "holy crap, who built that, that's way cooler than what everyone else does"!!!! I'm not knocking the 8's, I've built and pounded a ton of them. I just think its cool having a 6 that sounds healthy, gets good mpg's and runs as strong as a mild 8 with great torque.
Posted via Mobile Device