The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-30-2020, 08:53 PM   #26
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Re: Herd immunity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man;8705281

[url
https://www.sciencealert.com/why-herd-immunity-will-not-save-us-from-the-covid-19-pandemic[/url]
You’re pretty good with the google search.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:13 PM   #27
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
Sorry to be serious in a thread meant to not be, but the title and content have nothing to do with one another. Also, no, many people (judging from what I've read posted on the internet), have little understanding of what herd immunity is.
Perhaps one definition is not always enough... literal vs virtual. I took the meaning here to be the application of herd mentality to the actions seen in people behaving as if they feel safe just because it seems everyone else is. In contrast, they'd all be highly concerned for their well being if everyone in the store was coughing and sneezing.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:22 PM   #28
cornerstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsolver72 View Post
My church has been doing online services...honestly I haven’t checked those out.

I have really enjoyed the break from the routine, and watching our minister perform his sermon on YouTube. Having coffee while sitting on the couch with the family instead of rushing to get out the door and driving 30 minutes has been nice. Of course having a pause button on the preacher is another bonus!

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:31 PM   #29
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
Sorry to be serious in a thread meant to not be, but the title and content have nothing to do with one another. Also, no, many people (judging from what I've read posted on the internet), have little understanding of what herd immunity is.
The real reason I had for this tread was “old blue”. l followed this guy into the parking lot. I admired his truck without approaching him, from 30’ or more.

Not one mention of the truck.

Lots of folks wanting to vent about Covid 19, people are scared. I get that.
Today’s world with the internet makes us all experts on everything under the sun. “If you don’t agree with what I’ve read,then you have no understanding”.
It’s easy to be critical. It’s easy to be judge mental, I know.
I’m learning if I see someone and their hair is on fire. Let it burn, it makes them feel better.
The title and content may have had a purpose that you missed.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:47 PM   #30
Grumpy old man

Quote:
You’re pretty good with the google search.
Computers are dumb , Ask your question in the most basic terms and poof it answers them .

search (herd immunity corona )

https://www.google.com/search?q=herd...firefox-b-1-ab

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 12:15 AM   #31
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

I see and hear a lot of stress out there. Fear and anger which is understandable. Survival is a basic instinct.

But when you think about it. There's a lot of things out there that can kill you in an instant. Heart failure, accidents, you name it. It's a long list. We've all lost people in the blink of an eye. I know I have. This virus is just the new kid on the block.

I don't worry about being killed when I get in my car. But I easily could be. It happens every day. I don't worry about a heart attack when I shove a double chili cheeseburger in my mouth.

But the one positive about this mess It makes you think. I believe that it has caused people to get closer or reunite with their loved ones. To appreciate them maybe a little more and not take them for granted. Or take anything else for granted for that matter. Life is finite. It's all you have and it's a limited time offer. Sometimes we seem to forget about that.

My wife just got back from a 10 hour shift at the hospital. And I'm going to hug her and give her a kiss. If she was exposed to the virus it was nice knowing you. But that won't stop me. I love her and something's going to kill me anyway.

Carpe Diem.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 01:17 AM   #32
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Bravo, Paul -- well said!!

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:49 AM   #33
Tomq

Quote:
Went to Home Depot this morning to pick up essential supplies.
Saw “old blue” pulling in ahead of me.
Once inside I see the place is packed. I’ve never seen HD that busy. People didn’t seem concerned with distances. Perhaps I didn’t get the memo about practicing herd immunity.
I didn’t see a single mask.. but I saw a lady pull a big bottle of sanitizer out of her front pocket and give a few pumps to the fella she was with.
I don’t see that everyday either.
Interesting times we live in.
Hi Kingsolver; "old blue" caught my attention right away! Some-one has put some time into it and enjoys driving around in the nice weather,which leads me to the next observation,beautiful green grass and NO snow! Spring must be coming,and with that,there is always a period of optimism for the best on our farm! I wonder how modified the owner has made it,nice wheels and stance,probably around 1950 or so? Thanks for posting,keep your stick on the ice,Tomq
Tomq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:24 AM   #34
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomq View Post
Hi Kingsolver; "old blue" caught my attention right away! Some-one has put some time into it and enjoys driving around in the nice weather,which leads me to the next observation,beautiful green grass and NO snow! Spring must be coming,and with that,there is always a period of optimism for the best on our farm! I wonder how modified the owner has made it,nice wheels and stance,probably around 1950 or so? Thanks for posting,keep your stick on the ice,Tomq
Hey Tomq, thanks for the positive words. It is a cool old truck. I didn’t get get too close.. but under different circumstances I would have looked a bit closer.

I live in Ottawa Kansas. I’ve never played hockey, I’m more of a traditional ju jitsu kind of guy. I go with flow and flow with the go.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:58 PM   #35
special-K
Special Order

If your stick isn't on the ice then you're not in the game. How about keep your feet on the mat. How does that sound? I enjoyed seeing the blue truck. Soon as I saw it I started thinking how someone found a silver lining behind this cloud, is making lemonade out of lemons, or choose your cliche. Then you had to go and ruin it all with "freaking out" over this virus and getting everyone all riled up! SERIOUSLY!! I am absolutely kidding about that last part!!!! (gulp?)

I want to come up with some good diversionary (to current events) threads while we're all in this boat together.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 03-31-2020, 04:18 PM   #36
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
If your stick isn't on the ice then you're not in the game. How about keep your feet on the mat. How does that sound? I enjoyed seeing the blue truck. Soon as I saw it I started thinking how someone found a silver lining behind this cloud, is making lemonade out of lemons, or choose your cliche. Then you had to go and ruin it all with "freaking out" over this virus and getting everyone all riled up! SERIOUSLY!! I am absolutely kidding about that last part!!!! (gulp?)

I want to come up with some good diversionary (to current events) threads while we're all in this boat together.
It’s hard to not think about the bad.. I’ve self censored majorly. I’d like to see our country pull together not divide.
I read the other treads like “unique trucks”, “post your keep up with Richards funnies”, “my facetruck”, “pranks” and “not just el caminos” among others.
Entertaining threads for sure. I may not say anything, but I like the content.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:18 PM   #37
kingsolver72
10/30/19

A different view of ol blue.
Attached Images

Old 03-31-2020, 09:58 PM   #38
'63GENIII

Quote:
A different view of ol blue.
Kinda neat perspective...Ol' Blue and New Blue. Both are purty!

I feel ('cuz I really don't even know what I don't know ) that even though we may be in for difficult times for a spell, I have seen many a hatchet buried (some with the handle sticking out still) and many instances of people throughout our country coming together for the common good. Yeah, we tend to hear more about the jack weeds that aren't pulling their weight and the missteps of the people that well, miss steps on the media, BUT the heroes that are silently sacrificing and giving the most are just "doing what they do" and doing a lot of it.

They are literally everywhere if you stop to take a look.

I heard just the other day (and this is not to get political in any way shape or form) the President and the Governor of Ca "almost" being complimentary towards each other. Clearly the hatchet handles still sticking out BUT, they weren't exchanging daggers and I almost choked on my beer.

I was absolutely floored. Truth be told, inspired as well.

If those two can set aside differences for the moment to unite for the good of this great country.....any of us can.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:28 PM   #39
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by '63GENIII View Post
I heard just the other day (and this is not to get political in any way shape or form) the President and the Governor of Ca "almost" being complimentary towards each other. Clearly the hatchet handles still sticking out BUT, they weren't exchanging daggers and I almost choked on my beer.

I was absolutely floored. Truth be told, inspired as well.

If those two can set aside differences for the moment to unite for the good of this great country.....any of us can.
I heard about that too -- told my wife, and she was stunned. Still doesn't quite seem real, but it did happen, and we're very pleased that it did. There may be hope for us after all!

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 04-01-2020, 01:02 AM   #40
'63GENIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
I heard about that too -- told my wife, and she was stunned. Still doesn't quite seem real, but it did happen, and we're very pleased that it did. There may be hope for us after all!
No doubt Mike. Who would have thought? A couple of political adversaries actually acting like they're looking out for us and acting like leaders. Go figure. I'll take it at face value as a positive.

Need more positives like that

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
D44 / 14bff - disc axles

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

Old 04-01-2020, 02:16 AM   #41
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
No doubt Mike. Who would have thought? A couple of political adversaries actually acting like they're looking out for us and acting like leaders. Go figure. I'll take it at face value as a positive.

Need more positives like that
This may not be the best analogy but here goes...

I have 4 dogs. They always fight. Not knock down drag out fighting but a lot of growling etc.

But if there is a threat or even a perceived threat in their eyes. They will run out and stand together side by side. Brothers in arms.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 04-01-2020, 02:35 AM   #42
'63GENIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post

I have 4 dogs. They always fight. Not knock down drag out fighting but a lot of growling etc.

But if there is a threat or even a perceived threat in their eyes. They will run out and stand together side by side. Brothers in arms.
That analogy is spot on!

A lot like my kids. They're the first to cut each other off at the knees most days but an outside picks on one..look out. They get thick as thieves and twice as vicious. The youngest daughter makes me nervous sometimes. .

Happens every night when my wife tells them to get ready for bed and Im conveniently in the garage perfecting my "Marital Distancing"....

Crap. Does this mean I'm raising politicians?

'63 k15 long step
D44 / 14bff - disc axles

Old 04-01-2020, 11:01 AM   #43
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Computers are dumb , Ask your question in the most basic terms and poof it answers them .

search (herd immunity corona )

https://www.google.com/search?q=herd...firefox-b-1-ab
Sort of like computer modeling....
Old 04-01-2020, 11:36 AM   #44
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:

Crap. Does this mean I'm raising politicians?
Perish the thought!

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 04-01-2020, 01:12 PM   #45
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post

Have you met the clan I have for neighbors? Sister lives behind me with her family, brother lives beside and back, mom & dad were up the top of the hill. Mom & Dad are gone now, I got along with them. Brother and sister families have little to do with each other, if they are on speaking terms at all. One side will badger about the other side to me.

But when one turned me in to the county, which ended up in a zoning variance hearing there they were all happy together in the peanut gallery. Clan (tribal) mentality. This is common among the inbred*

* People, not dogs

Tim

Old 04-01-2020, 05:07 PM   #46
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post

Oh I’m still in the game. At least up until January was drilling some stand up with an old, young friend. Probably should had said rollin with the punches.
Going with the flow and flowing with the go is basically using your opponents strength against them.
The new normal has randori and sparring put on a hold, at least until the dojo opens back up.

On a sad note a man instrumental in having huge impact in the dojo/school that I’ve been a student of for years had passed away a few weeks ago.
Sensei Jim “ronin” Harrison. He was well known and respected in martial arts.
Josh Barnett studied judo from Mr. Harrison.
Here’s a picture of Sensei Boggs, me and Sensei Harrison. Circa 2009.
After that seminar I was asked to give Mr. Harrison a ride to the airport.
I owned a 1970 Chevy pickup back then. He commented on how nice the truck was.
Attached Images

Last edited by kingsolver72; 04-01-2020 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Spelling
kingsolver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:27 PM   #47
1976gmc20

Speaking of diversions, how about re-watching Deep Impact again this evening to take our minds off of all this doom and gloom?

1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:22 PM   #48
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 View Post
Speaking of diversions, how about re-watching Deep Impact again this evening to take our minds off of all this doom and gloom?

I have not seen that movie yet. Maybe it's time. I'm watching the news and I could use some cheering up.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay