The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2020, 07:35 PM   #26
Airdirect

Re: 1989 GMC 6000 Pickup/Toy Conversion

I bought a new blue and white 1978 3/4 ton 4X4 Silverado with that scheme. Later sold it and bought a 1979 1 ton 4X4 with a maroon and white scheme. Always liked the layout. I believe the white was Frost white. Mine both had white on the cab roof starting at the molding below the rear window. Very cool truck, I will be watch the thread for your finishing touches.
Airdirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:46 PM   #27
sweetk30

here you boys go for a little big truck action .

i look his pics over from time to time .

https://bigasstrux.com/
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 11:48 PM   #28
Bigdually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdirect View Post
I bought a new blue and white 1978 3/4 ton 4X4 Silverado with that scheme. Later sold it and bought a 1979 1 ton 4X4 with a maroon and white scheme. Always liked the layout. I believe the white was Frost white. Mine both had white on the cab roof starting at the molding below the rear window. Very cool truck, I will be watch the thread for your finishing touches.
I am definitely on the hunt of some cab molding! Just not too sure yet if I plan to do the white from there up or not.... Decisions, decisions.

I'll probably make progress little by little, but I'll definitely keep the thread updated. Thanks for the compliments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetk30 View Post

I have drooled over, err... looked over that site for a long time! The white crew cab C65 is so cool.

I've actually spoken with Mike on the phone and gotten a few ideas and a little guidance off of him when I was first beginning the build. He's a character!! But a super nice guy and very helpful.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:57 AM   #29
underliner6

You are doing a killer job. Your efforts to make everything look as if it came factory is paying off.

1972 K20 Cheyenne- 350/350/205
1972 K20 Cheyenne - 350/SM465/205
underliner6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:35 PM   #30
Sevens

I am really digging this build; thank you for sharing!

Just out of curiosity, what kind of fuel (un)economy does that thing get?
Sevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:02 PM   #31
Bigdually

Quote:
Originally Posted by underliner6 View Post
You are doing a killer job. Your efforts to make everything look as if it came factory is paying off.
Thank you! That is much appreciated! Although I may add a few touches of my own, making this look like GM rolled it off the line as a pickup has been and is my goal. I'm glad to hear folks say they see that coming to fruition in my build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens View Post
I am really digging this build; thank you for sharing!

Just out of curiosity, what kind of fuel (un)economy does that thing get?
Thanks for the compliment! It gets around 10 MPG, was doing about 7 before I switched to the Edelbrock. She loves the good stuff, and doesn't have much appetite for regular, likes to diesel a little when I run 87 octane. Seems very happy with 90 and up
Old 01-07-2020, 08:44 PM   #32
Pvmt-Pndr

Clicking through this thread makes me want to get my truck up and driving the way I want asap. Have you checked your timing? I found playing with my timing a little made a big difference in start up and shut down on my truck running the cheap stuff.i assume your truck is already hei stock. Most of what I read the tall decks like 8 degrees of timing and that's on the high side. For some reason my truck likes (427) 10 degrees better. I also only have about 2 street miles on her since I went through the engine. My wife has a 366 and I don't recall what hers is at, she's also running an edelbrock (not a avs2) and has hei.
Pvmt-Pndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:29 PM   #33
Bigdually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvmt-Pndr View Post
Clicking through this thread makes me want to get my truck up and driving the way I want asap. Have you checked your timing? I found playing with my timing a little made a big difference in start up and shut down on my truck running the cheap stuff.i assume your truck is already hei stock. Most of what I read the tall decks like 8 degrees of timing and that's on the high side. For some reason my truck likes (427) 10 degrees better. I also only have about 2 street miles on her since I went through the engine. My wife has a 366 and I don't recall what hers is at, she's also running an edelbrock (not a avs2) and has hei.
I had the light on it when I was going through it doing the tune up on the carb, she's right on the mark at 8°. It's stock GM HEI. I'm really happy with how it starts up and runs, seems to really like the timing it's set at. I just think the crap fuel we have today is to blame for a lot of it.

I have read your build, I'm anticipating the day you get yours going too, it's a great truck!

Last edited by Bigdually; 01-08-2020 at 01:19 PM.
Bigdually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:25 PM   #34
Bigdually

Here's one I took recently from far back then zoomed in. I like it because it really shows how the bumper lines match the fender lines pretty well exactly. Kind of a Bob Ross happy accident, I noticed it several days after I'd mounted the bumper
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2020, 09:55 AM   #35
C10 - C90 Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetk30 View Post

Thanks for posting it.

Even though I like them original, I have some room for these, lol.

I like the truck in progress.

Even though I prefer a Detroit, the 3208 is pretty cool.

And I always wanted a Pick-up with Air Brakes, lol.
C10 - C90 Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:41 PM   #36
Bigdually

Haven't been too busy on the truck lately, been working on my daily. Bertha takes a little too much fuel for daily commuting for my liking, although my Jeep doesn't do too much better. Gotta get my S10 back on the road!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=800004
Old 02-07-2020, 05:34 PM   #37
Bigdually

Haven't done too much on the truck lately, been too busy working when I have the free time on my S10. I did order a new fuel filter canister and some fuel filters for it super cheap on RockAuto while I was ordering some S10 stuff. My old one had some rust pitting inside.

Shot this picture of her this evening getting home from work, poor thing looks cold.
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2020, 09:02 PM   #38
Pvmt-Pndr

If I took a picture of my truck right now it would look almost identical to yours. From the woods, yard to the barn almost an identical shot.
Old 02-08-2020, 06:51 PM   #39
Bigdually

Quote:
If I took a picture of my truck right now it would look almost identical to yours. From the woods, yard to the barn almost an identical shot.
Cool!

I'm missing driving mine, but with the salt all over the road and as good as the body is on this truck, she's not moving til some rain washes all that junk off the road!
Old 02-08-2020, 07:20 PM   #40
Pvmt-Pndr

I'm in the same boat as you right now. My truck will sit there while I gather parts for it and wait for the weather to break. I did drive mine about a mile a few weeks ago.

Last edited by Pvmt-Pndr; 02-11-2020 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-26-2020, 12:44 PM   #41
UPNADM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdually View Post
One thing I discovered nearly immediately was that with a rear end ratio of 6.17, it was really humming at 45-50. I knew a gear swap was in order and I began the search. I ended up settling on a remanufactured differential geared at 4.63. Cruising at 70 MPH is now possible and the truck is altogether more fun to drive, though a gear between 3rd and 4th would be nice. The SM465 is pretty wide in ratio.
Where did you get that rear? I would love to get rid of the 6:17's in my yellow truck...
UPNADM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 03:06 PM   #42
Bigdually

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPNADM View Post
Where did you get that rear? I would love to get rid of the 6:17's in my yellow truck...
There is a company called Pro Gear and Transmission in Florida, I purchased a fully remanufactured center section for my differential from them. It was a little pricey, but worth it over buying a junkyard differential with unknown miles and problems for only a little less. I'm happy with the gear ratio, it ended up just about right. I would love to swap in a non OD 5 speed though.
Old 05-25-2020, 03:42 PM   #43
Bigdually

Happy Memorial Day!

Today I used the big girl for her real purpose besides cruising, I put her to work towing. I loaded the trailer pretty tongue heavy and the truck only squatted a very small amount. I only had to go less than 10 miles each way, but overall for the first time I've towed with it I'm pretty happy!
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2020, 12:55 AM   #44
Bigdually

Worked on the truck a little and drove it a good bit yesterday (Saturday). I washed it in the morning and got it ready to swing by a local cruise in. Nothing fancy just a bunch of cool rides, some really high dollar and high HP rods and muscle cars, a few rat rods, lots of works in progress, and lots of hanging out and talking to some really nice folks. It was a good time, got lots of people, especially the younger folks, asking about the truck and really into it. Saw a few I really was digging on myself

Installed a beautiful and perfectly functional AM/FM Delco unit before going that I got from Jeff (1774btcrew). I had a top of the line Delco ETR unit installed at one point, but it decided to quit on me and I haven't yet sent it off for repair, finding someone who knows those units is getting hard. This basic AM/FM unit works great though and pulls in the stations well. I'm excited to have music in the truck again that comes from a source other than the exhaust
Attached Images

Last edited by Bigdually; 06-14-2020 at 01:00 AM.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:11 PM   #45
LT7A

Good grab on the radio. I used to be so eager to swap away the factory radio in a car and now I get excited when I come across one I can use. I really like this truck and I'm glad that you're keeping it going. I think a traditional two-tone paint job would be really cool if you decide to do it. It might kind of help blend the big truck more into the pickup theme. Regardless, it's cool as it is now. Thanks for keeping us up to date.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 12:00 PM   #46
Bigdually

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Good grab on the radio. I used to be so eager to swap away the factory radio in a car and now I get excited when I come across one I can use. I really like this truck and I'm glad that you're keeping it going. I think a traditional two-tone paint job would be really cool if you decide to do it. It might kind of help blend the big truck more into the pickup theme. Regardless, it's cool as it is now. Thanks for keeping us up to date.
Thanks for the compliments! The plan is still so far a two tone job, just don't know how soon I'll get that done. I was hoping for this year but I went and bought a toy. My JK Rubicon is too big to go where I want it to, and a side by side just isn't my thing. A Mahindra Roxor fits my needs perfectly. Diesel, 5 speed, nearly indestructible chassis and suspension setup, and the same width as the big side by sides now days. Plus they can be made road legal here now. So as for the truck, I did get to use the truck to haul the Roxor home but it kinda hurts the funds for paint work
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2020, 04:14 AM   #47
Pvmt-Pndr

It looks good doing work! I've looked at those roxors before and they look like a lot of fun. The radio looks great also.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:44 AM   #48
Bigdually

Quote:
It looks good doing work! I've looked at those roxors before and they look like a lot of fun. The radio looks great also.
Thanks! I'm happy with the radio and the Roxor both, had way too much fun lately exploring some trails I haven't run for years.

My future father in law bought a new tractor, and the dealership wanted a crazy delivery fee. I picked it up for him and towed it about 30 miles home. The truck did just fine towed like a champ. The need for either a) more power or b) closer transmission ratios is easier to see the more I tow, but for as heavy as the tractor was with the attachments I was pretty happy with how it did.
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2020, 09:10 PM   #49
STPETEBLUE

Really love your build. I have wanted one of these for a long time. I do not have the skills, equipment, or space to do this kind of thing, so I contacted Mike at Big Ass Trucks. Neither of the trucks he had for sale or in progress had A/C, very important, down here, so he went on the hunt for one. On his site, under SOLD is my truck. It is the 1989 TopKick Ex-Ryder truck.

He left it for me to finish the little things, and I am curious. Where did you get the step bumper? Also, what is your source for the bed lights? I have only found one source for the fender clearance lights.

I would also like to know about the Christmas lights. Were they 12 volt or did you use a power inverter for 110volt? I'm assuming they are LED.

Thanks, and enjoy the ride. I know I am.

Last edited by STPETEBLUE; 11-06-2020 at 12:51 AM.
STPETEBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 12:05 PM   #50
Bigdually

Quote:
Originally Posted by STPETEBLUE View Post
Really love your build. I have wanted one of these for a long time. I do not have the skills, equipment, or space to do this kind of thing, so I contacted Mike at Big Ass Trucks. Neither of the trucks he had for sale or in progress had A/C, very important, down here, so he went on the hunt for one. On his site, under SOLD is my truck. It is the 1989 TopKick Ex-Ryder truck.

He left it for me to finish the little things, and I am curious. Where did you get the step bumper? Also, what is your source for the bed lights? I have only found one source for the fender clearance lights.

I would also like to know about the Christmas lights. Were they 12 volt or did you use a power inverter for 110volt? I'm assuming they are LED.

Thanks, and enjoy the ride. I know I am.

Great looking truck! There's a TON of potential there, I really like it. I talked to Mike when I was beginning to build mine, he clued me in on a few things I'd run into and what height above the frame I would have to mount the bed to get it to line up. He was quite helpful and really knows these trucks inside out.

The step bumper was tricky, I hunted EVERYWHERE for a long time and could find nobody who had one or makes one for a square body anymore. I was out of town for a week and one popped up for sale on Facebook. My girlfriend's dad drove two hours one way to go get it for me. The fender clearance lights came from USA1 Industries. They were backordered forever but I did finally get them.

My Christmas setup was actually all incandescent lights, I ran them on a 2000 watt quiet Honda generator in the bed, you couldn't even hear it over the truck idling. I could have ran way more lights and this year hopefully I can.

Looking forward to more pics and a build thread on yours!

Last edited by Bigdually; 11-06-2020 at 12:12 PM.