The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2021, 06:49 PM   #1
SARBlade

My’56 Chevy Shortbox Build

Hi All, I have been a car guy all my life, but never a restorer. Last year after a 2 month RV trip through western Canada, i noticed that there were not as many old trucks taking up spaces in farmers yards or back 40’s. I grew up in a small farming community and drove my uncles ‘51 Chevy as a youngster on his knee. Then after awhile I started seeing 55-57 Chevy/GMCs around, not many, I always loved there look. I spotted this beauty in Medicine Hat Alberta, and looked at it. I didn’t talk to the owner he wasn’t around. I never forgot about it. Then last Feb 2020, I was trolling Kijiji, a Canadian buy and sell website, and I saw it there. I sent the guy an email and after some negotiations, I put a down payment on it. Then Covid-19 hit. I didn’t pick it up until June of last year. I brought it home to Vancouver Island and stored it at a friends farm until I was ready for it. I brought it home first week of Feb this year. It’s now ready for me to tackle!

SARBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:52 PM   #2
87Lowrider
Navy Radioman Veteran

Re: My’56 Chevy Shortbox Build

Looks nice and straight.. what are your plans for it?

Ken
87Lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:01 PM   #3
SARBlade

Its got a Camaro clip, 8.5" 10 bolt rear end, so pretty much hotrod lol. I ordered a 4-link from Paul Horton, Welder Series, so that's going in, not sure on which coil overs to use there yet, open to ideas. Got a disc brake package for it as well. I'm starting at the back and moving forward I guess. The floors have been replaced and you see new fenders on it. These will need work, lots of gap issues there. I think the rear fenders are shot, same with the stepsides on the bed. Oh, and the A pillars around the front windshield are rotten, so I have another cab from which to rob the roof. From there, more body work, but its not going to be a show truck as I'm not that talented, have good mechanical sense and the will to try anything, but I do have limits, no shop, just a garage, and some tools. Never used a mig before, but I am learning, it makes an old stick guy like me half descent lol. I guess that's it for now. I'll just add progress as I go. With pictures. I'm also thinking about using YouTube to document progress as well. We'll see how that goes.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:50 PM   #4
57FleetsideC4

Nice looking project you have going. Look forward to following the build. Steve
Old 02-22-2021, 11:20 PM   #5
87Lowrider
Navy Radioman Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARBlade View Post
Its got a Camaro clip, 8.5" 10 bolt rear end, so pretty much hotrod lol. I ordered a 4-link from Paul Horton, Welder Series, so that's going in, not sure on which coil overs to use there yet, open to ideas. Got a disc brake package for it as well. I'm starting at the back and moving forward I guess. The floors have been replaced and you see new fenders on it. These will need work, lots of gap issues there. I think the rear fenders are shot, same with the stepsides on the bed. Oh, and the A pillars around the front windshield are rotten, so I have another cab from which to rob the roof. From there, more body work, but its not going to be a show truck as I'm not that talented, have good mechanical sense and the will to try anything, but I do have limits, no shop, just a garage, and some tools. Never used a mig before, but I am learning, it makes an old stick guy like me half descent lol. I guess that's it for now. I'll just add progress as I go. With pictures. I'm also thinking about using YouTube to document progress as well. We'll see how that goes.
Sounds like a plan... I'll be watching... we like pics!
87Lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:54 PM   #6
bosco

Looks like a very good foundation to start. Best part, you'll have fun. Good luck and looking forward to see the progress.
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:33 AM   #7
dsraven

hey sar, what kinda shape is the spare cab in? changing a roof can be more difficult than you may think. if you have registration for the other cab and it's in decent shape you may wanna just swap the cab instead of the roof.
common rust areas in the cabs:
-around the roof drip rail, check for bubbles and soft spots all the way around
-inside the cab above the windshield
-outside the cab above the windshield
-the lower corners of the pinch weld area that holds the windshield in place
-the rear window pinch weld area that holds the rear glass in place
-inner cowls, that is the area behind the floor vents. water runs down and collects in the cowls because the drains plug. it sits in there until it dries up so if it rains a bunch or snow melts and freezes in there the water level can rise until water runs out on the floor through the vent doors. then if rusts the floor, the lower hinge pillars and that whole area, the front cab mounts, the steps and rockers etc
-rear cab corners
-rear cab mounts, this is a dirt sandwich usually so the dirt holds moisture and rots the sandwich out
look at the patch panels available online and then check your cabs for rot in those areas. they don't make patch panels for stuff that isn't a common seller. sometimes they don't make patch panels for stuff that is a common problem, lol. you kinda won't really know what you have until you take it apart and blast it or grind off the old paint etc. sometimes the old farm bodywork can be 1/2" thick bondo over bare metal, which collects moisture and rusts the bare metal over time. I advise to get it apart, blast it and epoxy it right away, then decide when you see what you have left. ask your Napa guy if he has access to the CMax body shop parts. it is Napa's body shop division, at least in Calgary it is. use care when disassembling parts because what you think is junk you may be able to sell. thinking about your rear fenders etc. not cheap for repops and guys want the original stuff if available. I had a set of rusty bent rear fenders and steps, actually the whole long box step side. beat like crazy and rusted bad. I had a guy approach me who just had to have it and traded me some doors, a hood and some small parts. just saying.
when you get a minute snap a few pics of the truck from all angles so we can see what you have top work with. looks good from the first pics.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:13 PM   #8
SARBlade

Raven, the truck has a different cab from the extra one I have. The other cab is the original and is pretty much rotten from floor down. Not sure where it sat but it’s bad. The top of it is surprisingly good. The cab on the truck now is solid except for the A pillars and top of windshield. There are more dings on the present cab but nothing hammer and dolly won’t take out. The previous owner put in a complete new floor, front to back and steps. Door pillars are good up to the windshield where, as you mentioned, are the pinch welds. Bottom of the vents are fine, some pinhole rust so I’ll cut what is needed out there to repair. I know the roof is going to be a huge job, I’m going to follow what Jean-Marc did here

I will snap some pics today and post, I think everyone loves photos! I picked up my 5.3 on the weekend and have taken accessories off, they were pretty much shot, now to clean. It’s supposed to be a 100K motor, I doubt it, looks more like 200k, but I got it for $600 so I’m not complaining. Compression was good and it ran. Got all the wiring harness, ECL, etc. What I didn’t get, and didn’t notice was that the throttle is drive by wire, so will need a pedal, not a big thing I imagine. At least the guy took the time to disconnect the wiring harness and not cut it. All plugs are there.
Old 04-29-2021, 04:03 PM   #9
SARBlade

Hey all, its been sometime from my last post, you know life, wife, pets, Covid get in the way of things! Well I bought a 5.3 LM7, rebuilt it, now working on the standalone wiring harness. I have to throw out a big thanks and say that Brendan at LT1Swap.com sure knows his stuff. I have used his sight and YouTube videos to get where I am. So I do have a couple of questions before buttoning up the harness with tape and loom. I am thinking about keeping the original instrument cluster. The info provided as you know is speed, temp, amps, oil and fuel level. I'm unsure if the PCM from the harness can provide info to this wrt speed, oil pressure, amperage and temperature. I guess the sender from the fuel tank will provide fuel info. I know the only thing from the harness is a 4000 hz pulse for a tach. LT1Swap has me take out the oil pressure, does that mean I'm stuck with a mechanical wet line? what about voltage for the ammeter? Id like to know so that I can add whatever wiring now as to later. Thanks

BTW, some pics I guess.

$450

Done after $1500 for new accessories, LS3 manifolds, Sloppy stage 2 cam/lifters and a good cleaning. Engine had good compression and only 100K miles. Looked rough tho. Pretty clean inside.

Old 04-29-2021, 04:05 PM   #10
SARBlade

Oh and here is the wiring harness mess
Old 04-29-2021, 04:20 PM   #11
Tempest67

looks great,

the pic of your wiring harness makes me love my Carb and distributor.

I respect you guys that can figure out these computer controlled engines.

keep it going
Tempest67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 11:41 PM   #12
59chev

Looking Great! Great start with the Camaro front end and the 10 Bolt. I also used the Welder Series 4 link.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=622133"]59 Apache - Lifelong obsession
59chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 12:09 AM   #13
SARBlade

Do you have pics of the location of your arms and mounts on the diff? Also, just curious what you did for coil overs and did you notch the frame. I hope to take the box off next week and do the rear end work.
Old 06-17-2021, 12:13 AM   #14
SARBlade

Never mind there 59Chev, I found your pics on page 7 of your build, looks really good. My link set up is going to be triangulated.
Old 12-19-2021, 10:38 PM   #15
Jason 56

Looks like a great start. Did you figure out your gauge problem? I believe it will depend on which cluster you plan on using. I’m planning on using Dakota digital hdx. For that you just need to buy an additional canbus. The obd plugs into it and that will convert all the signals. Not sure that will work for you as mine is a Gen V, where everything goes through the pcm.
Old 03-26-2022, 05:59 PM   #16
SARBlade

Alriiiighty then, its about time I update you on my progress, or lack there of. Yeah we all went through this damn Covid thing so lets just ignore all that and get back to topic.

I haven't much space in my garage/shop so I've decided to do my restoration is sections starting with the rear end then working forward, with the body work last. To this end, I began taking the bed off. As you all know, old trucks have plenty of rust, well mine is no different. I had to pretty much grind and cut all the bolts off to get the bed apart. Its no resting outside nicely. Will need to source fenders, that is another story!

Old 03-26-2022, 06:15 PM   #17
SARBlade

I am now tackling the suspension to put in a triangulated 4 link and doing a rear brake upgrade to disc. Funny how I had to pull the axles out to take off drum baking plates and put in the disc plates, anyway fought with that a bit. New seals etc. and checked lashing, all good. As you will see, I'm now pulling the leafs, shocks and paraphernalia, away to get an idea of my suspension set up. I took notes of my measurements and ride height that I want, however, because I have an 8.5" GM diff, I will have to reverse the upper bars in that they will be welded on the tubes and then narrow towards the front to the crossmember there. I remember that angle for these bars when they are near the pumpkin going outwards to the frame is 25-30 degrees, can it be assumed that the reverse is true for narrowing towards the front, the same angle be 25-30 degrees?

Also, I am trying to figure out my squat and I forgot to weigh my truck's front and rear to get the CoG. Does anyone have those weights? I have a Camaro clip, 350 and TH 350, with a rear 19 gallon fuel tank. I'm thinking that ballpark weights would work, at least with in 100 lbs, lol.
Old 03-27-2022, 01:12 PM   #18
dsraven

sounds like fun.
dont forget to leave room for exhaust in the suspension set up. also, figure out your engine/trans driveline angle so you can get your pinion angle to match, unless you feel your 4 link will have enough adjustability. are you using the welders series parts? I have used their stuff and liked it. CAD too so usually affordable comparitively.
Old 03-27-2022, 02:54 PM   #19
SARBlade

Yeah, I think I'll run the exhaust under the stepsides like JM55, but not as fancy as he did, lol. I have the welder series and yes a great deal, just don't know what my coilovers will be until I finish, was thinking the Aldans, but I'm open to discussion. The one thing I'm having difficulty is the fact I wanted to go from the diff forward with the upper bars outward to the frame, but because I can't weld to the 10 bolt GM rear end, I have to go from the tubes mounting the links close to the frame, then narrowing forward to a center crossmember. Still getting my head wrapped around that.
Old 03-27-2022, 03:48 PM   #20
dsraven

Check out some images on some 4x4 sites. They are pretty good at doing stuff like that.
You could maybe use a welders series 4link axle bracket, modified to exclude the shock mount, and welded upside down on the tube near the cast center section on each side. Then go forward from there to the frame mount in the middle. Or go 4 link with a panhard bar behind the axle.
Old 03-27-2022, 04:18 PM   #21
SARBlade

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
Check out some images on some 4x4 sites. They are pretty good at doing stuff like that.
You could maybe use a welders series 4link axle bracket, modified to exclude the shock mount, and welded upside down on the tube near the cast center section on each side. Then go forward from there to the frame mount in the middle. Or go 4 link with a panhard bar behind the axle.
Thanks, I'll go check that out, I was trying hard to stay away from the panhard, I bought the triangulated 4 link setup before thinking about the cast diff, grrrr.
Old 03-27-2022, 04:26 PM   #22
SARBlade

This is what I'm thinking, I'm just not sure the angle between the two uppers, I guess if the reverse is supposed to be 25-30 degrees, the angle between tose 2 should be 50-60 degrees.

Old 03-27-2022, 08:32 PM   #23
Jason 56

I just angled mine as much as I possibly could and still clear the frame. Mine cycles nice and is very stable side to side.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jason 56; 03-27-2022 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Rotate image
Jason 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 11:07 PM   #24
SARBlade

That looks great, in my previous post I meant to attach a photo and forgot, here it is.

That is what I am going to do now that I’ve seen it and Jason has seconded it! Lol
Old 03-27-2022, 11:53 PM   #25
dsraven

be slow when welding onto the axle tubes as they will get hot and end up warping when they cool off.