The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2009, 01:38 PM   #1
sled head

Pitman Arm replacement

It appears that my pitman arm needs to be replaced (there is a lot of play in my steering wheel and there is some movement on the wheel itself when jacked up).

Do I need a puller to get it off, I heard that I do. Do I need to remove the skid plate and sway bar to get it off? Anything else need to be removed?
sled head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:52 PM   #2
Unkle Fester
Ignorance is Bliss

Re: Pitman Arm replacement

I'm no expert by any means, but I've never had to replace a pitman arm, usually just tie-rod ends when they wear out. Have you had someone shake the wheel while you watched the linkage move? They only have to turn the wheel a little past the slop each direction. Could turn up a different worn part. (sorry if you've already done that)

My '90 burban I thought the steering box was bad but only needed a new drag link. Replace that rig with a '98 Sierra a few weeks ago. The steering wheel had about a 1/4 turn of play. I replaced the tie rods and took it in for an alignment and all was better.

I just hate to see people replace parts they don't need.

I must be stupid, because I know better and do things anyway.

98 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 xcab 3door, 350 Vortec, 6" lift, 35" M/S Tires and no money in my wallet.
90 GMC Suburban 1500 XLE 4x4 with those darned barn doors (I cried when she left me)

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Unkle Fester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:29 PM   #3
BigBlocksRule

Re: Pitman Arm replacement

I broke 2 AutoZone rented pullers when I tried to get my first one off. It's a whole lot easier to use a cutoff wheel and cut it nearly thru, then use a chisel to finish breaking it. You can jack the truck up in the front end and mess with each wheel to find the play. I've replaced a few of 'em, sometimes it helps to take all but one bolt out of the steering box so you can turn it to an angle where it's easier to work on.
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote