The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2017, 12:36 PM   #26
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Re: Broccoli

I like them. But I usually drown them in so much butter, salt, or some rich sauce, I don't know if they're all that healthy by the time I get done with them.

My wife has been trying to get me to eat better. (Steamed veggies..yuck)

I still love my KFC too.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:25 PM   #27
Grumpy old man

Well Since we're talking food and everybody loves BACON ! Try it this way. Wrap a cookie sheet with foil and lay out your bacon ,Toss it in the oven at 325 and it comes out perfect with no mess or grease splatter all over your stove , no need to turn it it works perfect everytime and just toss the foil when done .

CG you can wrap you BROCCOLI in bacon and cover with sour creme when done ...haha !
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:29 PM   #28
Grumpy old man

like this
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2017, 02:32 PM   #29
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

I'll eat the broccoli for you. But only if I get your truck parts.

I like it, and Brussel sprouts, carrots, all of it. Except for those evil beets.
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:49 PM   #30
snj8198

i suffer from gout usually during the winter months. I first got it from snacking too much on cauliflower and broccoli due to it being high in purines. I like it but it's as bad as organ meats for me.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:26 PM   #31
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68C15 View Post
Brussel sprouts, carrots, all of it. Except for those evil beets.
When I was a kid my dad was always eating those nasty canned beets and he was always trying to get me to eat them too. They were gross and tasted like dirt.

Now, my wife loves beets and is always trying to get me to eat them, which is not going to happen. I guess some things never change.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:54 AM   #32
vetnat

I believe the correct term for the flavour of beets is "earthy" I like beets but sometimes the dirt flavour does come through.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:56 AM   #33
'63GENIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj8198 View Post
i suffer from gout usually during the winter months. I first got it from snacking too much on cauliflower and broccoli due to it being high in purines. I like it but it's as bad as organ meats for me.
My Pop gets the gout every so often. He's gotten good at sensing the onset of it. He love beans, tomatoes, cauliflower, sprouts and beer. Same as me. Just seeing him with that gout in his feet scares the crap outta me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Only way I can eat carrots is cut up in my homemade stew. Otherwise forget it. Cauliflower & broccoli are OK but I rarely eat 'em.

Now, my dogs are fed all three..... chopped up carrots, broccoli, & cauliflower, mixed with slightly warmed up ground beef and a raw commercial chicken product. Then I stir in premium dry dog food, and sometimes add a little milk. Twice a day, every day. They both have food allergies and can't have a lot of stuff I used to give them. Who ever heard of dogs that can't eat pork, turkey, eggs, or apples?

Well that kinda went off-topic....
Wanted to stop my dog (when he was a 3 mo. old pup) from begging. So the only people food I gave him was small orange slices when I was eating them. To this day, he will not bat an eye while someone eats a steak, but peel an orange a 1/4 mile away and he will come running. And yes he still has that eating a lemon face when doing it! Off topic? Yes, but still kinda funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian113 View Post
Wrap Asparagus with Bacon and cook it on BBQ Grill until Bacon is done! OH MY I can eat it every day. I like Broccoli in Chinese food good stuff or steamed with cheese sauce. Vegies are a acquired taste and it helps to have a Great Cook around when your introduced to them.
I hated most of the veggies that have been brought up here (and a few others) until I met my Wife. She grills most all of them including the brussels, squash and asparagus with just a little salt, pepper and olive oil. I can eat an entire meal of just those darned brussel sprouts now. Having a good cook is key!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
When I was a kid my dad was always eating those nasty canned beets and he was always trying to get me to eat them too. They were gross and tasted like dirt.

Now, my wife loves beets and is always trying to get me to eat them, which is not going to happen. I guess some things never change.
Hated these too until the Mrs started roasting them. Salt, pepper and oil was the key.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:14 AM   #34
Boog
laying low

I'm with you CG. There are WAY more foods I don't like than those I do. No way would I eat brocoli sprouts, squash, cabbage and stuff like that. I figure if you have to cover something up to make it edible you probably shouldn't be eating it.
I had a few bites of liver one time. By accident. It looked good on the bar but OMG, that strong taste was too much for me. I take my wife to a restaurant to get some for her every now and then and I have grilled pork chops or fried catfish. I do try to "get my colors" weekly. It's a running joke. I try to have green beans, whole kernel corn, baby carrots, mashed taters w/gravy with some kind of meats at least one day a week. Like many folks, it's burgers and other fast meals for lunch most week days for us. Not the healthiest but it keeps me going.
Gout. Oh yeah, I know first hand about that. I've had it in both feet since 1994. I don't wish it on anyone. Fortunately for me the heart meds I now take also help to keep the gout in check too. Getting old does not come without some pains.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:56 AM   #35
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Well Since we're talking food and everybody loves BACON ! Try it this way. Wrap a cookie sheet with foil and lay out your bacon ,Toss it in the oven at 325 and it comes out perfect with no mess or grease splatter all over your stove , no need to turn it it works perfect everytime and just toss the foil when done .
Yessiree!! That is exactly how Mrs Stocker does our bacon and it comes out perfect every time!

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:52 AM   #36
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

I like them all ,,asparagus is a favorite and for some reason when eating it ,,it just makes me think it will make me much healthier.. I like okra too ,fried
Old 08-17-2017, 11:05 AM   #37
72supr

My wife is a great cook so she can doctor up most anything and it taste good.My Dad used to fry us liver and onions when I was kid couldn't stand it then don't like it now.We butcher are own beef so always have plenty of liver.We have a guy here who loves liver raw so he gets all he wants,that's the ranch dog.
72supr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:27 AM   #38
Indian113

72supr, we buy our beef from a farmer friend I went to school with. We have the butcher shop put the Liver, Heart and Tongue in he Ground Beef. It makes it leaner and we don't notice a taste difference. Those were going to waste until we started doing it this way.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:44 AM   #39
alsriv2

Location: Formerly MD and San Diego, now loving life in Arizona

It took many years for my wife to convince me broccoli was good to eat. I now enjoy it both raw in a salad and cooked (to a soft point). My Dr is happy with me as I am not allowed to have high starch veggies like corn, carrots and peas (My favorites) as I have a aggressive case of diabetes that has ruined my ability to have foods I love. For me, all the veggies we used to hate growing up that others have mentioned here, are now the foods I am forced to find a way to enjoy as they are not detrimental to my condition.

2012 Ram 3500 Dually Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins
2014 Palomino Columbus 340RK 5th wheel
'69 Chevy C10 396BB
alsriv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:38 PM   #40
slomotion
Old Duffer

Anything but sour kraut and boiled okra.
When I was working on the river boats one of the cooks would ask each of us in turn what was our favorite and he'd fix it for lunch while we were on the river. One of the guys loved boiled okra. I can't tell you what okra tastes like, but I can tell you it feels like warm slugs and that was enough to make me not like okra. Still makes me shiver when I think about it!

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:39 PM   #41
Grumpy old man

slather enough Bernaise sauce on anything and it will taste good !
Old 08-17-2017, 02:19 PM   #42
mongocanfly
Post Whore

the good Lord meant for okra to be fried...not boiled...I think its one of the commandments..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:21 PM   #43
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Grumpy..I never heard of bernaise sause...what's it taste like?
Old 08-17-2017, 02:45 PM   #44
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Grumpy..I never heard of bernaise sause...what's it taste like?
Get you some Knorr brand Bearnaise sauce from the store and a nice prime rib or london broil rare add some sauted red potatoes with Vidalia onions ,Some nice garlic bread and you'll fall in love all over again !

it's a white wine vinegar ,herb and butter based sauce

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A9arnaise_sauce
Old 08-17-2017, 02:47 PM   #45
72supr

Indian113,that's a good idea.If I didn't have a good working dog that loves liver I would .Good you know someone you can buy your beef from.Better quality and cheaper that way too.Hey,you might have just solved the problem of people not liking broccoli and other veggies.Mix it with the burger!��
72supr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:29 PM   #46
mongocanfly
Post Whore

thanks Grumpy..ill, have to get me some...you done made me hongry again..
Old 08-18-2017, 07:39 PM   #47
special-K
Special Order

I eat all vegetables and like them... I think? Well no, not egg plant. Is that a vegetable or a plastic jug filled with mush? You might like broccoli if you put vinegar on it. Brussel sprouts you need to halve and saute with garlic... YUM!

I have one word for you, vinegar. That's how we eat our greens. I don't like cooked cabbage much w/o it. I love raw cabbage, though. I use that instead of lettuce on tacos and such. I put cut up carrot in with slow cooked meat to shred. You would never know if I didn't tell you.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:58 PM   #48
bonestock72

Those of you that don't like broccoli try this, make a potion 1/3 olive oil 1/3 vinegar 1/3 soy sauce. Put it in a pan with a lid, Throw in chicken and broccoli, put the lid half on and cook for a while till tender. Serve over rice with the gravy that has reduced by cooking. If you still don't like broccoli, you never will. Then you can pull out the broccoli and enjoy the chicken with rice
bonestock72 is offline   Reply With Quote