The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2015, 03:33 PM   #1
terryggoround

outdoor protectin from sun and rain

I am interested in what brand covers are being used for outside protection
From sun, dust and rain. I don't have a garage to keep my 70 jimmy in so I want to buy a cover for it. I am not surprised at the prices but by the warranty that comes with these covers. The highest priced $800-900 have only a 4 year warranty. While the cheapest $180-250 range made in china have 1 year warranty. I know how the uv rays can destroy cloth in a very short time as well as how mold can cause stitching to fail.
My jimmy is gloss black so the inside should be soft and not cause my paint to get scratches. I also live right next to a major freeway so dust is always an issue. I would also like to be able to wash and dry this cover..
Any info on what you are using or have had good or bad results would be most helpful.
Who would think buying a cover would be so complicated? I thought the hardest part would be finding one that would just fit. I've spent hours oneline going over the specs ect. Now I want to hear from you.
This is the best of the best for info that I have ever been able to acess!
Thank you all and keep up the great forum.
terryggoround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 03:55 PM   #2
cleszkie

Re: outdoor protectin from sun and rain

I have a garage, but also keep my Blazer on the driveway as well. So I bought one of those $200 to $300 covers from Pep Boys. 4 to 6 layer Tyvek style material, breathable, water repellant, etc. They last about a year in SoCal before they turn into tissue paper from the sun. The biggest issue you will have is with scuffing. I don't care how soft they say the inside layer is, all it takes is a little dust/polen contamination between the cover and your paint to haze your paint at the rub points. This is compounded by the Santa Ana winds that we have here in SoCal. When those winds get that cover flapping, scuffing is inevitable. The scuffing on my motorhome is proof of that. The best advise I can give you is only put the cover on a clean truck. Take the cover off if high winds are in the forcast. Save up for a garage
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:56 PM   #3
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

I used to keep the blazer in the driveway when I first got it, but I had a theft attempt so it quickly found a home inside the garage.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:07 AM   #4
4oldcars

I never buy more cars than I have garage space for. Leaving a car out in the weather is like leaving your wife out. Wait a minute - - I may have something there.

Driving:
1971 Jimmy w/68 Chev front clip, 1953 Bel Air 2 dr hdtp, 1996 Roadmaster wagon, 2000 Eldorado

The ones I let go:
1931 2 dr sedan, 1935 pick up, 1938 2 dr sedan, 1962 SS 454, 1963 409 wagon, 1970 short bed, 1972 short bed, 1972 sub, 1976 short bed, 1986 long bed, 03 short bed
4oldcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 01:48 PM   #5
terryggoround

Thank you for the good advise! I have been looking for a place with a garage but the prices in northern California should be a crime!!
I just can't see paying 200-300 for a cover and it only lasting a year. Oh well what's a gal to do?
terryggoround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:31 PM   #6
landy

I'm in New Mexico so an expensive tyvek car cover doesn't even last a year with the wind and sun. I've been using plastic-type tarps and bungee cords from Harbor Freight - cheap and pretty durable. My truck doesn't have a nice paint job, so no concern over scuffing.
landy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 02:23 AM   #7
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

buy a good soft cover and use a cheap (ebay cheap) to take the UV abuse... then just replace the cheap one once a year ... the nice one underneath should last a lot longer...

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote