The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2017, 03:29 AM   #1
LovelandK5

72 Blazer new clutch installation issues

I have a 1972 chevy blazer with sm465 and np205. Just finished installing new clutch (Duralast NU1909), new cast clutch fork, TO bearing (short), Pilot bushing (seated flush with block), new pivot ball with spring, return spring, machined the flywheel and also switched to a Wilwood 341-15170 Clutch Kit (pedal, MC and pull slave). I have it all back together but no luck with the clutch yet. I started it and it sounded good but didn't attempt to put in gear yet.

With engine off I push on the pedal all the way and fork/TO move the clutch fingers but I can't switch gears. When on level surface I can get out of gear and shift gears but with slight tilt the pressure holds gears in place and clutch wont release.

I've bled and re-bled (there is no air left), I've adjusted and re-adjusted and finally I've read and searched until I went cross eyed.

Why can't I shift in and out of gear with the clutch?
LovelandK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:21 AM   #2
notsolo

Re: 72 Blazer new clutch installation issues

When I did a clutch a few yrs ago I was surprised at the variations in parts.... With the clutch pedal down, gear boxes in neutral, from under the truck is the clutch released? Can you spin it by hand?
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:20 AM   #3
A1971Blazer

if you can't shift in and out of gear....the clutch is not fully releasing.....is there any adjustment in the link from the slave cylinder to the fork..?...if so take the throwout bearing as close to the pressure plate fingers as you can get it WITHOUT it touching.....
it sounds like you aren't getting enough travel for it to relese...
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:56 PM   #4
cleszkie

Does your clutch fork have two positions or "slots" for the slave rod end to seat into? If it does, the position farther out on the fork arm will generate less stroke of the fork at the throw-out bearing for a given amount of stroke of your slave cylinder. Moving the slave rod end to the inner position will generate more stroke of the fork at the throw-out bearing for the same stroke in the slave cylinder. Just a thought.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote