The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2017, 09:19 PM   #1
HO455
Post Whore

KBY shock troubles

I tried searches but no one else seem to have this problem. I put pair of KBY Gas A Just shocks (#KG5409) on the front of my Burban along with some CCP raised shock mounts. I drove it approximately five miles and parked for 4-5 days then I jacked it up and once it was up on the stands I dove under it to do something. I once under the truck I noticed oil pouring out of the passenger side shock. Not dripping but pouring enough that the entire lower tube was covered in oil. OK bad shock I thought. I pulled it off and got a replacement and installed it on the truck. Several days later I went on a second five mile test run and park it. Forward about 2 1/2 months I jack the truck up for another part of the project and the drivers side shock now has a steady drip of oil from it. I pull it off and get a replacement. The counterman thinks maybe there was a assembly issue with them. So I put it on and the Burban gets moved around the shop a couple of times over another couple of months then I put it on the lift to replace their upper control arms and about half way through the passenger side replacement I notice there is a big puddle of oil on the drivers side and it's from the shock. This shock had zero road miles on it. All three failed when the truck was jacked up. No shock had more than 10-11 miles on it. The truck has sat aired out on the bump stops in front most of the time. I have slow leaks that cause the front to drop over several days.
Any input would be appreciated.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:38 PM   #2
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: KBY shock troubles

How's that brake hose fitting right next to the shock? Possible brake fluid squirting from it onto the lower shock tube?

Is KBY a knock off of KYB?

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:27 PM   #3
HO455
Post Whore

The brake lines and hoses have all been replaced since that photo was taken. There is no doubt that the oil is coming from inside of the shock the first time I had a flash light in my hand and was able to see the oil running from under the upper cover. On the second bad shock after removal I pumped the shock on the bench several time and it continued to leak oil from under the upper cover on to the lower tube. And as far as l know they are real KBY's I purchased them from Baxter Auto parts. (If that is what you are asking) How would I be able to tell the difference?

Last edited by HO455; 06-16-2017 at 10:33 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:48 PM   #4
HO455
Post Whore

I was afraid that I was the only one with this problem.