The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-26-2010, 11:04 PM   #1
DQ81

Let me introduce myself...

Hello all, great site. Looked around for a year or so, finally got around to registering. I have a few q's, I've searched but turned up few threads that actually had a conclusion...

I'm the proud owner of several k5's, a 4x4 and a 2wd. Also have an '87 Burb but it's on the way out.

Here's some pics, I also have some question, perhaps more advice needed on what route to go on the rear drop. I've got bell tech spindles and some drop springs left over from my old truck (my ex crashed it past winter, not her fault, but still blows!)

But wasn't able to salvage the rear shackle kit.

Here's the old Blazer (not the best shots as it's half on the pavement):

and after it met with a concrete wall on both sides (semi slicks and ice, not good)...nobody got hurt, that's the most important thing, except my wallet and truck! Front chassis rails were bent in 8 inches...The front fender had to be pried back out to get it on a trailer. The drivers side front wheel was egg shaped due to the bodywork bending it, the doors buckled up top, dead truck

So I just got this 1980 2wd k5 with a 305 (blehg!) for just about free . I have a 454 going in at the end of the month

and yes I've already got a billet grille on the way, that thing looks fugly!

The rear spring pack, should at the least be able to get rid of that bottom spring, should give me an inch or so and a less bouncy ride...

In the meantime I have some welding to do, 2 doors to replace but otherwise she's in very good shape. It's going to be a daily driver that I can beat on and def. not a resto. Just needs to be 90% rustfree and I'm gonna roll it matt red (almost primer/brick red) as it kinda matches the colour it has now so no interior stuff will need reworking. I intend to black out the windows as well and drop it. Keeping steel wheels all round or going with 20's, or both. In any case I'll start with steel, 8J up front and 10J's in the rear.

I still have my Belltech spindles and front springs from my old Blazer (no shocks though or rear shackle kit) it was dropped with shackles and 2 leafs removed from the rear. I don't ever tow so it's a non issue. Ride was smooth.

Here are some example pics of what I roughly want to do with this truck in terms of stance. I like a bit of a rake though but really want to try and keep this thing practical as somehow all my cars en up on their bellies .

How shall I tackle the back this time? I don't want to C notch it. ( I didn't do the drop myself on the old truck, bought it that way, but have dropped a million Beetles, Amazone's etc.)

So how to go about getting the rear down without having to do a C notch, I've searched but turned up few threads that actually had a conclusion...

I really like the ride height of this truck, but might want a tad lower:

Something like this is probably ideal for me:

Or this (perhaps an inch too low) but it looks so damned sweet:

And this thing is rad, props to whoever built/ownes that one!:

Actually after looking at them in sequence, they all look pretty much the same ride height, just different wheel/tires give a different look.

How to tackle the rear drop?
DQ81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:14 PM   #2
sandnuriz

Re: Let me introduce myself...

Welcome to the site good start

It's your ride build it the way you want !!!!!!!!!!
sandnuriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:42 AM   #3
tvblazer78
Low & Fast!

Welcome!

On the pics you posted the last blazer has air ride on with the C out back. It sits a little lower then the rest with 20"s on it. sites about the same as my blazer. Good luck with it..
tvblazer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:46 AM   #4
justpball

welcome bro!

87 Crew SWB
Build for the crew
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=430082

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3232925
90 burb 2wd

Build Thread For The Burb!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=383055
justpball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:05 PM   #5
Davidmichael

welcome
81 8 foot bed made into a trailer
86 Suburban going to be made into a trailer
91 Suburban 4x4 = that's my baby
00 S10 Xtreme STD Cab
01 S10 ZR2
Davidmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:23 PM   #6
Gemp

Welcome....
Old 09-27-2010, 09:39 PM   #7
79gmcclassic

welcome to this great forum!

Freshly lowered 5 inches

79gmcclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:43 AM   #8
blu-by-u-2

Yeah, Welcome. X2 on the good start. So Gotta ask, How rare are the 2wds or even the 4x4s overthere?

77 k5 2wd
76 k5 jimmy 4x4
97 c1500 2wd
06 chrysler 300 on 22"s
blu-by-u-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:17 AM   #9
Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79gmcclassic View Post
welcome to this great forum!
Agreed
Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:58 AM   #10
DQ81

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-by-u-2 View Post
Yeah, Welcome. X2 on the good start. So Gotta ask, How rare are the 2wds or even the 4x4s overthere?
Hey thanks guys!

2wd's are much rarer than 4x4's. There's probably at least a few thousand of those driving around NL. Definetely not your every day car but enough for some people to make a living off them.

You see some Burbs and the G20's the most.

K5's are usually lifted, there's some CUCV stuff too, ex army, so lot's of those 6.2's puttering about and some Dodge stuff too.

It's hard to find a deal and they have an extreme added value due to their scarcity. That's why I was so stoked to find my new project!

Any advice on how to tackle the rear?

Can I just use the shackle kit for a c10? Or are their clearance issues?

Thanks for the warm welcome!

David
Old 09-28-2010, 09:11 AM   #11
tvblazer78
Low & Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQ81 View Post
Hey thanks guys!

2wd's are much rarer than 4x4's. There's probably at least a few thousand of those driving around NL. Definetely not your every day car but enough for some people to make a living off them.

You see some Burbs and the G20's the most.

K5's are usually lifted, there's some CUCV stuff too, ex army, so lot's of those 6.2's puttering about and some Dodge stuff too.

It's hard to find a deal and they have an extreme added value due to their scarcity. That's why I was so stoked to find my new project!

Any advice on how to tackle the rear?

Can I just use the shackle kit for a c10? Or are their clearance issues?

Thanks for the warm welcome!

David
David you can use shackles but they do rub your gas filler a little bit. I ran mine like that for years and it never did hurt anything, but you can take some tubing and have it made so it will not rub. Plus you can take a leaf out to get a little lower as well. A flip kit will make the rear end sit on the frame and you will have to do a C then. I found that leafs out of a 4x4 92-94 full size blazer will work with a flip kit, but some guys have tryed it and some of the leafs sound like they are longer then what I have. I am not using mine any more and I will try to see how long they are and get you some pics.

Good luck.
Trav
tvblazer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:51 PM   #12
kikkegek

welcome!
sweet rides man!
kikkegek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:01 PM   #13
DQ81

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvblazer78 View Post
David you can use shackles but they do rub your gas filler a little bit. I ran mine like that for years and it never did hurt anything, but you can take some tubing and have it made so it will not rub. Plus you can take a leaf out to get a little lower as well. A flip kit will make the rear end sit on the frame and you will have to do a C then. I found that leafs out of a 4x4 92-94 full size blazer will work with a flip kit, but some guys have tryed it and some of the leafs sound like they are longer then what I have. I am not using mine any more and I will try to see how long they are and get you some pics.

Good luck.
Trav
Sweet, thanks Trav, I'm gonna order that shackle kit asap, see how low it sits and then look at removing leafs or not. As for the fuel filler, I should be able to fab something up without to much trouble...

@Kikkegek: thanks! Where you located?
Old 06-30-2011, 10:08 PM   #14
DQ81

just a quick update on this project.

It's been slow going due to other projects (too many!), getting back together with the Mrs, moving, moving my workshop etc.

I also drove the truck for a while as it was and the very tired 305 seized up!

The 454 idea got scrapped as I came across a 350tbi with 10 less horsepower and it had a 700r4 and a NEW lpg kit (amazing how little power those 2bbl TBI 454's have stock!) The torque gain is marginal over a 350 so figured this is the way to go!

As it's to be my daily I think 220hp is more than enough I'm scrapping the stock tank to be able to store more lpg tanks underneath and not lose cargo space in the cab.

I also have to used rustfree doors to fit, then some welding, dropping etc.

In the meantime I've become the very proud owner of a '73 Camaro RS and a '52 5 window 3100!!! Two of my DREAM cars so funds and time went in that direction first. But as is this is to be my daily I'm back on it!

Here's a few pics taken last month pulling the donor engine. I'll be pulling the 305 out 2morrow if I have time and putting the 350/700 in. Then some wiring/exhaust and driveshaft to fit etc.

The donor G20 van:

Engine removal:

Vans are a pita. Note to self, next van, pull crossmember off chassis.

The van after all of it's guts and useful bits were stripped, a sorry sight. Oh well!

It's out now, so then I got to stripping the 305/350 in the Blazer the next day to get it out so the 350/700 can go in. I've also ordered a 3.73 ring/pinion to replace the stock 3.08 in the Blazer

After one cup of coffe

After three, I had a pretty lazy day...

so that's the progress for now...
Old 06-30-2011, 10:22 PM   #15
DQ81

I wanted to add that I had to sell some stuff obviously to acquire the Camaro and '52 but can't find the Edit function?

Anyways, my old Monster K5 developed a very weird noise just before I put it up for sale (isn't that always the case...) and wanted to share this with you guys.

My cam gear bolts backed out by themselves! I was just in time by the time I pulled timing chain cover, have a look, I was baffled but glad to have caught it! It made a rythmic scraping sound, like a bad bearing. I've never come across anything like this. Anyway, replaced the bolts, locktight and put an aftermarket clip on to avoid just this and new timing cover. Good as new!

(there's my Camaro on the left, ain't she a beauty! This is also gives persepctive to the height of my old Blazer)

No joke this is EXACTLY what I found pulling off the cover...

With the crank damper on there's nothing obviously wrong to the naked eye other than the raised portion of the timing cover that shouldn't be, but even that's quite hidden by the timing tab...

But remove it and surprise!

Old 07-01-2011, 09:52 AM   #16
Cherub

looks like its coming along. you ever decide how to drop it out back?
Cherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:27 PM   #17
DQ81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherub View Post
looks like its coming along. you ever decide how to drop it out back?
As this is to be my daily, probably just 4" drop shackles and remove a leaf or two and reroute the filler tube... I've got air shocks for the rear if it ever needs a little boost.

Is there a DIY on making your own shackle and hanger kit?

Last edited by DQ81; 07-02-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #18
AsianBlazer

Unhappy Re: Let me introduce myself...

Man, the picture of the smashed front end is painful to look at! Good luck in your efforts on the new K5, I hear there is a big American Muscle car/truck following in the NL, Sweden, and Denmark! Welcome aboard!
AsianBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:14 PM   #19
DQ81

Another update:

I got the 305 stripped and out as a lump with the th350. Set them aside.

Also got the 350/TH700 in! Bit of a PITA on my own but it's done.

As chance would have it my TH350 was of the long tailshaft variety and thus the exact same length as my TH700, so no need to make custom driveshaft! In addition I'm able to use my TH350's tranny crossmember, just need to move it back an inch or so and redril holes (just waiting on the new trans mount) So progress

Engine out:

Empty bay, cleaned up a little hahahah...

"New" one in (yes I didn't clean it up, it's a daily, will powerwash once in car):

Made a stooopid mistake, got the whole lot in only to realise I had forgotten to switch the Blazer mounts over to the Van engine. DOH! Was a quick fix but about an hour of messing around trying to get the engine to sit before I realised it....

The exhaust, accessory bracket for the serpentine system (can't remember how it all goes back on, it's the van type NOTHING online GRRR or in my Haynes! GRRR) and wiring are the three main things from stopping this thing from getting started and test driven right now and fuel delivery of course.... I'm trying to reconcile the TBI harness with the stock Blazer harness and keep as little of the extra crap as possible.

My exhaust manifold passenger side is cracked. I do have a set of long tube headers that were on the 305, I kind of wanted to save them for something else (like the '52) as I think they will not really benefit this complete stock '90 TBI 350 (chime in if you disagree!). So planning on using a set of good second hand factory manifolds and most of the 2 into 1 exhaust that was under the van, just cut it down to size and exit drivers side before or after the rear wheel. Had a good sound, quiet but rumbly when you got on it. Great for a daily!

Then there's the wiring, who can help me identify this and if I need it, it's attached to wiring that is factory and was on the engine side of the firewall in the van next to the fuse box (on the left):

Do I need it? What the hell is it? Can't find anything to reference it on the engine or chassis wiring diagram!

Being a '90 the TH700 has a VSS and all that crap...
Old 08-02-2011, 07:19 PM   #20
DQ81

Here's what's been distracting me from this project btw:

Old 08-02-2011, 08:55 PM   #21
DQ81

and my other distraction:

and the black box, is the ABS controll unit....

Got my wiring diagrams off Autozone...so tomorrow's the big day, see if I can't get her running AND all the gauges to work!
Old 08-03-2011, 08:30 AM   #22
BigBlocksRule

That 5-window looks OUTSTANDING! Can't be too many of those running around over there, particularly in that condition.
Welcome to the forum. If you're ever headed to London, PM me. I'll put you in touch with an engine builder there who's top notch. He has a '70 longbed that he just dropped a BB402 into for his "parts runner".
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:22 PM   #23
DQ81

Will these work in the rear?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/73-87...m=360378166313

Obviously reroute the filler tube but any other forseeable issues?

cheers
Old 03-18-2012, 11:16 PM   #24
DQ81

quick update:

Got the Blazer running and driving.

Getting to the body work soon, replacing the doors with good ones and quite some welding to do.

Flat black or flat red, not sure yet...

Got a set of Flowmaster 40's tot get under there...

and of course I need to drop the truck. Lot's to do!
Old 07-25-2012, 08:30 PM   #25
DQ81

Been driving the Blazer as a daily since my last post.

It's been great.

Finally got around to installing the Belltech spindles I had left over from the smashed Blazer. Never thought about them being damaged in the accident.

Pull it all together only to see they were crooked and trash. I still have all the welding to do and doors to replace, and paint etc. etc. But it's been a blast to drive and I love the "you drive that thing?" looks hahaha

Got new 3" drop spindles from DJM, installed them today, also cut 1 coil off the stock springs.

Cut factory springs on the right next to 1" drop springs that have been heated improperly and thus aren't the same length anymore, another leftover from my old Blazer, wondered why it sat a half inch lower on one side!

Result:

With 225/60/15's on the front and a stock rear with 255/60/15's this is the stance right now. No good, needs a drop out back bad!

The front end looks sweet though right? I'm diggin it especially compared to a year ago:

And now (again), slow and steady progress:

So the same old question, how to tackle the back? How much will pulling the longest and shortest rear leafs out net me in drop? (I have a 5 leaf pack)