The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2017, 07:22 PM   #1
Robert Haas

Help before I burn the truck down.

I just installed a complete Dapper Lighting set of 575's with the halo outers and led mains. I took my time and built a nice harness, everything is wired correctly.

However'

The LED Halos that also are the turn signals are firing on both sides when I chooses a turn signal. I engage the switch right or left and both right and left flash at the same time

The nice folks up at Dapper walked me through a couple tests and determined my turn signal circuit suffers from "bleed" where low amount of voltage are being sent down the non chosen circuit. Less then 4 volts but that is enough for the LEDs to get triggered. It ain't enough to light up the stock bulbs or even my test light, but the meter see's it and so do the LEDs

I am stumped

I have no idea why there would be voltage (low as it is) in the "cold" side of the circuit.

Any suggestions?
Robert Haas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:23 AM   #2
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Help before I burn the truck down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Haas View Post
I just installed a complete Dapper Lighting set of 575's with the halo outers and led mains. I took my time and built a nice harness, everything is wired correctly.

However'

The LED Halos that also are the turn signals are firing on both sides when I chooses a turn signal. I engage the switch right or left and both right and left flash at the same time

The nice folks up at Dapper walked me through a couple tests and determined my turn signal circuit suffers from "bleed" where low amount of voltage are being sent down the non chosen circuit. Less then 4 volts but that is enough for the LEDs to get triggered. It ain't enough to light up the stock bulbs or even my test light, but the meter see's it and so do the LEDs

I am stumped

I have no idea why there would be voltage (low as it is) in the "cold" side of the circuit.

Any suggestions?
The one thing that is common to all four lights is the hazard switch but it is hard to see how it would bleed over any voltage. It should either be on or off. Cycle it a few times just for the possibility. '
If you had a little more resistance in each light then they would not get enough voltage to light. I'm not sure how that would affect the electronic flasher though. Lowering the input voltage on the purple TS wire might drop the bleed over voltage enough to kill the cold side but still allow the hot side to work. Perhaps the electronic flasher is the wrong one for the Dapper system. I'm just speculating here.

Do the two indicator lights in the dash flash together as well and are they LEDs as well?

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:29 AM   #3
Robert Haas

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
The one thing that is common to all four lights is the hazard switch but it is hard to see how it would bleed over any voltage. It should either be on or off. Cycle it a few times just for the possibility. '
If you had a little more resistance in each light then they would not get enough voltage to light. I'm not sure how that would affect the electronic flasher though. Lowering the input voltage on the purple TS wire might drop the bleed over voltage enough to kill the cold side but still allow the hot side to work. Perhaps the electronic flasher is the wrong one for the Dapper system. I'm just speculating here.

Do the two indicator lights in the dash flash together as well and are they LEDs as well?

The existing turn signals including the turn signal indicator in the dash (It is a single bulb on this truck) all function correctly

perhaps the bleed is from the dash indicator or maybe the rear brake lights as there is some shared circuitry in these as well.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:06 AM   #4
starterman99

My thought would be a ground issue with rear lights feeding back. The turn switch is mechanical so no contact should be made between right and left. Try pulling bulbs out of rear turn lights and see if front work correctly.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:16 AM   #5
Robert Haas

Quote:
Originally Posted by starterman99 View Post
My thought would be a ground issue with rear lights feeding back. The turn switch is mechanical so no contact should be made between right and left. Try pulling bulbs out of rear turn lights and see if front work correctly.
That is a great idea
Old 06-06-2017, 11:31 AM   #6
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Haas View Post
The existing turn signals including the turn signal indicator in the dash (It is a single bulb on this truck) all function correctly

perhaps the bleed is from the dash indicator or maybe the rear brake lights as there is some shared circuitry in these as well.
I think you may be onto something there. In those early 60's instrument clusters that only have one turn signal indicator in the dash, the bulb is wired between the turn signals on each side. So the resistance of the bulb's filament will allow some voltage to bleed across to the opposite side.

As a quick check, try taking that dash indicator bulb out of the socket and chances are the problem will go away. If you can find a location for them in your cluster, changing over to dual indicators (one for each side) would probably be the easiest fix.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:25 PM   #7
Robert Haas

FIXED

Removed the single bulb dispay in the dash. everything works great.