The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2019, 02:19 PM   #1
godlytroop

Looking at a C10 to buy near Long Island NY

Good morning, young forum member here, I'm looking for a solid C10 project I can use as a semi-daily driver. I have found a truck I like in Long Island NY but I'm located in Los Angeles so I would not be able to see the truck before buying. I want to know if anybody has any recommendations for getting the vehicle inspected in that area. I know I'm signing up for a little rust in this truck I just want to know how much. I would be spending all of my current savings for this truck. I know I could step up and spend $5k more and get a nice finished truck but I don't want something I'd have to worry about. I appreciate that it's a used truck and not a garage queen. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

https://classics.autotrader.com/clas...ruck/101059102

Goals for the truck:
69/70>71/72>67/68
Fleetside short bed
Muncie M20/M21/M22 (T10 acceptable)
12 bolt coil sprung (3.08 posi)
5 lug wheels
4 wheel disc brakes
power steering/brakes
godlytroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:28 PM   #2
68bbc/20

Re: Looking at a C10 to buy near Long Island NY

there are a lot of solid trucks for sale where you live, be patient keep watching
save yourself some money by finding one locally would be my suggestion.
68bbc/20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:58 PM   #3
kazoocruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by godlytroop View Post
I'm looking for a solid C10 project I can use as a semi-daily driver. I have found a truck I like in Long Island NY but I'm located in Los Angeles so I would not be able to see the truck before buying.

I want to know if anybody has any recommendations for getting the vehicle inspected in that area. I know I'm signing up for a little rust in this truck I just want to know how much. I would be spending all of my current savings for this truck. I don't want something I'd have to worry about. I appreciate that it's a used truck and not a garage queen. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Please note that you must be a supporting member to post classified items. This includes but is not limited to What Its Worth, Want To Buy, Want To Trade, and For Sale. Please consider supporting the forum by subscribing. Further information on the subscription levels available are located here

If you need any further assistance with that please contact any Admin for help.

Last edited by LockDoc; 01-31-2019 at 01:09 AM. Reason: FS by non-premium member
kazoocruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 03:06 PM   #4
godlytroop

68bbc/20

Thank you for your advice. I know you're probably right it just seems like people in California just overvalue shortbeds so much it's difficult to find a good one.

kazoocruiser

I want to get a truck 67-72 model years. Here in California the SMOG certification costs so much for any vehicle made after 76 I just don't want to deal with an old car that newer than that unless it's new. I'm just finishing up restoring a 1967 Camaro so I really want a truck that was made in the same era. Also, I really like the look of the 67-72.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:29 PM   #5
kazoocruiser

Thanks for the response. I do think the truck you are looking at is overpriced.

I have no idea what a 1981 (38-year-old) 48-state vehicle would have to comply with in order to be legal in California.

Last edited by LockDoc; 01-31-2019 at 01:11 AM.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:22 PM   #6
69Tom

Quote:
68bbc/20

Thank you for your advice. I know you're probably right it just seems like people in California just overvalue shortbeds so much it's difficult to find a good one.

kazoocruiser

I want to get a truck 67-72 model years. Here in California the SMOG certification costs so much for any vehicle made after 76 I just don't want to deal with an old car that newer than that unless it's new. I'm just finishing up restoring a 1967 Camaro so I really want a truck that was made in the same era. Also, I really like the look of the 67-72.
Here's a factory Big Block that's way closer than Long Island.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/c...799265133.html
69Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 05:04 PM   #7
godlytroop

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Tom View Post
Here's a factory Big Block that's way closer than Long Island.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/c...799265133.html
Thank you very much! That is another good option I was considering. The owner said the truck needs motor rebuilt ($1.4k), paint n body work ($7k) and interior ($1k). Not sure how he came up with those numbers but that's what he said and that I'd have to trailer it home.

Not sure how he came up with those numbers but it does look like a good option. What do you think compared to this one?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto...804284675.html

Also do you think the $10-12k is reasonable for these trucks?

Last edited by godlytroop; 01-30-2019 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:25 PM   #8
tutone

Here in the rust belt, any of the three you listed would be a fair price any more. Seems like the 115 on the SPID is a 3K dollar add on. The factory shorties are more scarce . I bet if you don't get in a big hurry and look around a while, they will go up another couple of grand. Buy what you are happy with, and enjoy. Judging from your links, you arent looking for a show truck anyway. Personally, I like the logo truck. I don't know if its a bargain, but the one I am building will cost me that or more in the end.
1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 07:21 PM   #9
69Tom

Quote:
Thank you very much! That is another good option I was considering. The owner said the truck needs motor rebuilt ($1.4k), paint n body work ($7k) and interior ($1k). Not sure how he came up with those numbers but that's what he said and that I'd have to trailer it home.

Not sure how he came up with those numbers but it does look like a good option. What do you think compared to this one?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto...804284675.html

Also do you think the $10-12k is reasonable for these trucks?
I guess it all depends on what you planning on doing with the truck. A nicely restored '72 Big Block would seeming bring pretty good money in today's market.

It's hard to tell on the one in SF what needs to be done, but it looks pretty good. I'd contact the seller and ask them what has been done to the truck (rockers replaced, etc) and make a determination from there.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:30 PM   #10
godlytroop

Quote:
I guess it all depends on what you planning on doing with the truck. A nicely restored '72 Big Block would seeming bring pretty good money in today's market.

It's hard to tell on the one in SF what needs to be done, but it looks pretty good. I'd contact the seller and ask them what has been done to the truck (rockers replaced, etc) and make a determination from there.
I want a truck I can drive 4 days a week (maybe 50 miles total). I don't want to have a truck so nice that I'm always worried about it being stolen or dinged in the parking lot but I want the drive train to be solid.

My eventual goal is to swap the good running 396 and M21 from my Camaro into the truck and then build a 427 and M22 for the Camaro but that would be many months away right now due to the cost.

The San Francisco truck looks like it has a little bit of surface rust and dings on every panel. The owner said the brakes, suspension, and motor are "fine". The truck came from Oregon so it has some cancer near the drip rail,cab corners, bed and I'm sure rockers.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:37 PM   #11
69Tom

I guess personally I'd rather have the factory BB truck just because they're way harder to find. Plus, this way you can just sell your 396/M21 and make a bunch of money to put back towards your 427. haha.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:46 PM   #12
godlytroop

Quote:
I guess personally I'd rather have the factory BB truck just because they're way harder to find. Plus, this way you can just sell your 396/M21 and make a bunch of money to put back towards your 427. haha.
Yeah I hear what you're saying. So you'd heavily recommend that Arizona truck?

I just don't have a lot of extra money (young guy trying to start a family fresh out of college) but I want something nice so I'm always looking for the cheapest way to do something. I build my Camaro to be an SSRS396 car, I couldn't afford a real one but I'm going to have an exact copy minus the vin tag for way cheaper when all is said and done.

I never got to grow up when these cars were around so I guess that's why I don't care so much about what the vin/cowl tag/SPID says.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:54 PM   #13
69Tom

Quote:
Yeah I hear what you're saying. So you'd heavily recommend that Arizona truck?

I just don't have a lot of extra money (young guy trying to start a family fresh out of college) but I want something nice so I'm always looking for the cheapest way to do something. I build my Camaro to be an SSRS396 car, I couldn't afford a real one but I'm going to have an exact copy minus the vin tag for way cheaper when all is said and done.

I never got to grow up when these cars were around so I guess that's why I don't care so much about what the vin/cowl tag/SPID says.
I would really be hard pressed to say anything for sure without inspecting the truck in person. I have zero ties to it. I was just looking for stuff on CL and noticed it the other day.

I guess if you're buying something and having to work on it, it's usually better to have something that original to work with. While I don't think many of us on this forum really gave/give a damn about "numbers matching" with these trucks, I think the recent market is at least showing what some can now bring if you ever needed to sell it.

And plus for me, there's always something cool about an original BB truck. I guess it's just because not many got ordered that way, especially with the 115" wheelbase.

But, if you really don't give a crap about any of that, and want a shop truck (which is what the one in SF is purporting to be, dents and all), then that one looks pretty good in the pics. Again, tho, I'd want to check in person or at least have way more pics/info than what's given.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:01 PM   #14
custom10nut

Why, pray tell, would you live in a region of the country known for pristine sheet metal, and search for a truck in a region that’s notorious for rust? In addition, why would you buy a truck without physically seeing it, and pay to ship it clearacross country?
I’m not trying to discourage you from buying a truck, but I don’t want to see you get taken for a whole lot of money that you could use elsewhere.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:08 PM   #15
godlytroop

Quote:
I would really be hard pressed to say anything for sure without inspecting the truck in person. I have zero ties to it. I was just looking for stuff on CL and noticed it the other day.

I guess if you're buying something and having to work on it, it's usually better to have something that original to work with. While I don't think many of us on this forum really gave/give a damn about "numbers matching" with these trucks, I think the recent market is at least showing what some can now bring if you ever needed to sell it.

And plus for me, there's always something cool about an original BB truck. I guess it's just because not many got ordered that way, especially with the 115" wheelbase.

But, if you really don't give a crap about any of that, and want a shop truck (which is what the one in SF is purporting to be, dents and all), then that one looks pretty good in the pics. Again, tho, I'd want to check in person or at least have way more pics/info than what's given.
I understand. Thank you very much, I really appreciate your thoughts. I understand we're both just speculating, now I gotta do the leg work and talk to the owners. I do really like the idea of a Short bed big block truck whether its on the SPID or not. After being able to drive a small block corvette and my big block camaro I'm team BB all the way! haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom10nut View Post
Why, pray tell, would you live in a region of the country known for pristine sheet metal, and search for a truck in a region that’s notorious for rust?
I have no excuse for this other than I had a budget and I kept looking at trucks near me and I couldn't find one in good enough condition for the best price so I just said forget it and searched the whole country to find something I liked.

Quote:
In addition, why would you buy a truck without physically seeing it, and pay to ship it clearacross country?
I’m not trying to discourage you from buying a truck, but I don’t want to see you get taken for a whole lot of money that you could use elsewhere.
I think the answer to this lies with the fact that I'm young and dumb and haven't made this mistake yet. I have however gotten some advice here that is making me rethink how wise/dumb of a decision that is.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:25 PM   #16
custom10nut

Quote:
I understand. Thank you very much, I really appreciate your thoughts. I understand we're both just speculating, now I gotta do the leg work and talk to the owners. I do really like the idea of a Short bed big block truck whether its on the SPID or not. After being able to drive a small block corvette and my big block camaro I'm team BB all the way! haha

I have no excuse for this other than I had a budget and I kept looking at trucks near me and I couldn't find one in good enough condition for the best price so I just said forget it and searched the whole country to find something I liked.

I think the answer to this lies with the fact that I'm young and dumb and haven't made this mistake yet. I have however gotten some advice here that is making me rethink how wise/dumb of a decision that is.
The best aspect of your asking the questions, is that you asked BEFORE you spent any money.
This forum has more experience and GOOD advise that you can ever dream to get ANYWHERE else. Welcome to the forum, and ask as many questions as you want.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:25 PM   #17
EdwardSams

I live on Long Island and could grab a buddy that owns a local speed shop to go and look at it.

But I think the others are right about I finding something closer to home.

Having shipped a c10 from AZ to Long Island I can attest that it’s tough finding a trucking company willing to even step foot on Long Island. Traffic is a nightmare and it’s not east to get out of with the tunnels and bridges.
EdwardSams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:28 PM   #18
kazoocruiser

Quote:

Yoda asking: Will this one complete his training?

0B1 voice floating around the room: I did . . .

Yoda, while poking with stick: He's too impulsive.

0B1 voice floating around the air; so was I. . . remember the Edsel I just had to have?

R2D2 standing outside in the rain, boop-it-ty-snizzle, bring me some spaghetti.

Jedi-in-training Luke How is a droid supposed to eat spaghetti?

0B1 floaty voice use the fork, Luke.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:29 PM   #19
72c20customcamper

If you look on the craigslist find thread you will see lots of trucks closer and cheaper than the one in NY. I no longer look at trucks or cars from here. Unless it came from somewhere else. A good one here is easily 3k higher than the a truck out west that's in better shape
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:39 PM   #20
godlytroop

Quote:
The best aspect of your asking the questions, is that you asked BEFORE you spent any money.
This forum has more experience and GOOD advise that you can ever dream to get ANYWHERE else. Welcome to the forum, and ask as many questions as you want.
Thank you very very much. I was kinda expecting a lot of really negative backlash for asking a "stupid question" this being the internet and all but you guys have been very helpful and I'm very grateful! I know I don't know a lot but I want to learn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardSams View Post
I live on Long Island and could grab a buddy that owns a local speed shop to go and look at it.

But I think the others are right about I finding something closer to home.

Having shipped a c10 from AZ to Long Island I can attest that it’s tough finding a trucking company willing to even step foot on Long Island. Traffic is a nightmare and it’s not east to get out of with the tunnels and bridges.
I really really appreciate you'd do that. I think the advice I've been given is correct though. I would be ahead finding a truck closer to home. I was quoted around $1.5k to ship from Long Island to Los Angeles. The owner did send me some good pictures of the underside of the truck if you or anyone is interested. It didn't strike me as too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoocruiser View Post
Yoda asking: Will this one complete his training?

0B1 voice floating around the room: I did . . .

Yoda, while poking with stick: He's too impulsive.

0B1 voice floating around the air; so was I. . . remember the Edsel I just had to have?

R2D2 standing outside in the rain, boop-it-ty-snizzle, bring me some spaghetti.

Jedi-in-training Luke How is a droid supposed to eat spaghetti?

0B1 floaty voice use the fork, Luke.
This might be the best original comment I've had the privilege to read on the internet.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:40 PM   #21
kazoocruiser

Quote:

HEHEHE, My sister at 18 was driving a 1968 327 3-speed with Thrush pipes which vehicle I helped myself to on a regular basis when I was still at home and she was no where to be found.

I didn't have the money then, and I still don't. And until you tell me, I don't know that I will ever know what "SPID" means, either.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:51 PM   #22
volksworld

i spent the first 59 years of my life on long island....it is an island...so salt water and salty humid air...parts of it go underwater in hurricanes and noreasters, and the roads get covered in rock salt and sand for the winter snows....the cab on my daily driver 70 literally fell off in about 1983....replaced with a cab from oklahoma cause it cost less to buy a rust free cab than to properly fix a rusty one....so either the truck you're looking at spent its entire life in a garage and was never driven in winter, or its had a hell of a lot of work (of unknown quality) done to it ....or maybe had a cab swap and the numbers dont match, pop rivited vin tag that your state may red flag upon inspection, etc....the rear view of the truck showing the funhouse mirror reflection on the bedside makes me think this thing is a bondo sculpture with a maaco paintjob...or acrylic enamel shot in the driveway

Last edited by volksworld; 01-30-2019 at 11:15 PM.
volksworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 03:27 AM   #23
69Tom

Wise words...
Old 01-31-2019, 07:58 AM   #24
Grumpy old man

They are 50 year old + trucks , IMHO looking south of I-40 is your best bet to find a "less rusty" truck for a lower price .
Attached Images

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:44 AM   #25
Markuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
If you look on the craigslist find thread you will see lots of trucks closer and cheaper than the one in NY. I no longer look at trucks or cars from here. Unless it came from somewhere else. A good one here is easily 3k higher than the a truck out west that's in better shape
This is what I found when I started looking for my truck. Hell, it's what I find when I look for just about anything motorized in the Northeast. Prices are just as inflated over here.

My truck came from a barn in Minnesota. It spent all its life in South Dakota before that. I made all the other mistakes listed, mainly buying sight- unseen, and it came to me with a couple more dents than I anticipated.

Even with shipping, and the money i've spent on the truck so far, I could still break even on my expenses if I were to sell it over here because of how the prices are.

There's no problem looking around the country for a truck, many people do that to find the right wheels. I just recommend you steer clear of rusty, "sitting on a gold pile" Northeast.
Markuli is offline   Reply With Quote