The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
hardhead

Cat problem

I have a 01 3500 with the 6.0 and have a random misfire, It would take too long to go over what all has been checked but I suspect the left bank cat is plugging. I live in AL so there are no smog checks and I was wondering if I cut it loose at the rear of the cat and knock the center out of it then weld it back can I use one of the dummy o2 sensors so I don't get a light. Has anyone here tried one of these?
hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
69gmcc10

Re: Cat problem

Before you cut the cat out make sure that is the problem. There are allot of things that can cause a misfire and even if your cat is clogged something else caused the cat to clog and you should figure that out. Check your sensors (I would suspect the MAF from my experience).

MT doesnt have an emissions testing either, but it is a federal crime with a hefty fine. I removed my cats for a while because the maf caused a over fueling issue and clogged my cats. I noticed an increase in power output with the cats gone, but a small decease in mpg and throttle response.

I couldnt find a dummy o2 to purchase, but some people have had success with installing a spark plug anti fouler in the rear bung and attatching the sensor to that to get the sensor out of the exhaust stream, but I didn't try it so I cant attest to its effectiveness. The real fix to that is to send your computer off to get flashed and have them turn off the rear O2 sensors.

03 Silverado build thread-http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=591582
69gmcc10 is offline   Reply With Quote