The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2010, 11:18 PM   #1
Monte Jack Hanks

horn problems on my 1971 Chev pickup

I've got a Grant steering wheel that I put on years ago and the horn was working ok, that is until I decided to fix the turn signal. It won't self cancel. So, I ordered some parts that were wrong and now I've ordered another plastic part that the turn signal lever attaches to (old one cracked) that appears to be correct. However, the lead on the wire from the metal contact plate into the canceling cam does not connect correctly and the horn stays on all of the time--not a bad idea in SLC traffic--but quite annoying. Does anyone know where I can find the correct contact? Mine was a small brass cylinder with a spring and the end of wire was just a crimped, tiny brass tit that stuck in the spring. This end was in a small white plastic piece that fit into the underside of the metal cover that the steering wheel mounts on top of. This can't be right. Also, I found a small return-type spring lying in the steering housing and I suspect that is the problem, but I have no idea what it attaches to. Thanks!

Monte
SLC, Utah

Last edited by Monte Jack Hanks; 03-12-2010 at 11:21 PM. Reason: more information
Monte Jack Hanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:26 PM   #2
Sublvr72
Account Suspended

Re: horn problems on my 1971 Chev pickup

try asking in the main 67-72 pickups section, you will get more views over there. This is the 67-72 suburban area
Sublvr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:27 PM   #3
Camaro_nut2001
Chevy Lover Till The End.

Re: horn problems on my 1971 Chev pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte Jack Hanks View Post
I've got a Grant steering wheel that I put on years ago and the horn was working ok, that is until I decided to fix the turn signal. It won't self cancel. So, I ordered some parts that were wrong and now I've ordered another plastic part that the turn signal lever attaches to (old one cracked) that appears to be correct. However, the lead on the wire from the metal contact plate into the canceling cam does not connect correctly and the horn stays on all of the time--not a bad idea in SLC traffic--but quite annoying. Does anyone know where I can find the correct contact? Mine was a small brass cylinder with a spring and the end of wire was just a crimped, tiny brass tit that stuck in the spring. This end was in a small white plastic piece that fit into the underside of the metal cover that the steering wheel mounts on top of. This can't be right. Also, I found a small return-type spring lying in the steering housing and I suspect that is the problem, but I have no idea what it attaches to. Thanks!

Monte
SLC, Utah
I bought a Grant wheel and install kit today for my '69. Let me check it out tomorrow and if I can use my old horn setup I will give you the new setup that comes in the install kit. Depending on how I feel, I may be able to let you know tomorrow afternoon.
1968 Chevrolet Impala Sport Coupe - 327/350hp, TH400, all original.
Members I've met: BamaBaxter,

My Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=500359
Camaro_nut2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:39 AM   #4
Monte Jack Hanks

Thumbs up Re: horn problems on my 1971 Chev pickup

Hey Camaro_nut2001, I really appreciate your response. If your old horn set up works and you are willing to pass the rest of the kit on, that would be most kind of you. You're in Tennessee, right? What city?

thanks! Monte
Monte Jack Hanks is offline   Reply With Quote