The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-23-2018, 05:12 PM   #1
dracko

ISO-free primer

After getting some crazy quotes to do the bodywork and paint on my ‘64, I decided to take on the work up to paint and then my buddy is gonna paint it in a booth at his shop.

I am working in my garage...in the Canadian winter... so airflow while spraying is limited. I keep using fresh charcoal cartridges and move the air best I can while still keeping the garage at painting temps and not blowing myself up.

So far I’ve avoided Isocyantes with epoxy and polyester primer but now the truck is blocked to 180 grit and ready for a 2K urethane? I can’t find any that are iso-free ....that I’ve heard any reviews on. Looking for recommendations from painters.

Anybody used a iso-free primer that has decent fill capabilities, easy to sand and compatible with most paint systems? I’d like to fill the 180 scratches.
dracko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 07:23 PM   #2
Foot Stomper

Re: ISO-free primer

I don't understand your need for ISO free. There's nothing better than a good urethane high build over an epoxy primer and all of them have isocyanates! Even the polyester primer you sprayed had isocyanates I'm pretty sure.

Autobody chemicals are all very harmful and all precautions should be taken regardless of chemical makeup. If you are using a proper fitting N95 mask, then using primers as you already have been should be no problem. Why do you think you need ISO free urethane primer??

I suggest you go to Carlsons Body Shop Supplies and buy a gallon of Five Star DTM and don't argue the price. It's the best urethane primer money can buy and will sand like butter (if you spray it as per TDS) and will not shrink and reveal your 180 scratches in your paint job. Buying a cheaper primer will only make you work harder sanding it, and will have less filling properties.

Pictured below is the Five Star DTM in white. Check out my build thread in my signature for more pictures. (This truck was restored 30 miles outside Regina)
Attached Images

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 07:45 PM   #3
dracko

Hey Footstomper, thanks for the reply. I know all paints are full of nasty carcinogenic chemicals, but I’m concerned more about ISO’s because they have been known to “potentially” cause sudden and severe asthma attacks as well as other long term damage...and there is no filter cartridge on the market that filters them out. Polyester primers are activated by methyl ethyl ketone peroxide which doesn’t contain ISO’s.

If I had a way to force fresh/warm air into my garage and keep the fumes down it’d be less of a concern. But as it is I’ll likely be spraying and then vacating the garage until it’s fully cured, then turn on the exhaust fan and clear the air. 5 star sounds great and the right price as far as urethane primers go, but I’m wondering if there is an iso-free option people have used with success. The price isn’t a huge concern since I’m saving a few bucks doing the work myself.

Last edited by dracko; 12-23-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:54 PM   #4
kxmotox247

Try looking at the House of Kolor KD3000 primer system. You can intermix the colors to create a shade close to your base color. You can mix as a sealer, medium build or high build. It sands great whether dry or wet. Iso free. You can buy from summit or tcpglobal.

https://houseofkolor.com/formulas/foundation/
kxmotox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:37 AM   #5
dracko

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxmotox247 View Post
Try looking at the House of Kolor KD3000 primer system. You can intermix the colors to create a shade close to your base color. You can mix as a sealer, medium build or high build. It sands great whether dry or wet. Iso free. You can buy from summit or tcpglobal.

https://houseofkolor.com/formulas/foundation/
Thanks man that sounds like the bees knees. I’ll check it out.