The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-17-2013, 11:57 PM   #1
cleansquare
Account Suspended

ATTN Suspension vendors/gurus

Why you no make rear flip kit/hanger kit for 73-87 C20 3/4 ton truck??

This is 2013! Out of all the threads on this subject on this site alone you could make a killing!

I need some help. I've read just about every old thread on this subject but most dont follow up and say what they did in the end.

I have a reg cab LWB 85 Silverado C20. I just ordered C20 lowering spindles (2.5") from Performanceonline.com for $400 bucks. I also plan on cutting the stock coil springs 1.5 coils off, giving me a total of like 5.5" of drop in the front.

For the rear, several members say they welded new perches on the bottom of the axle, and you can buy them also from POL.com. They basically made their own flip kit.

My questions.

1. Do I need to worry about pinion angle. Many people have asked this question, but none have resolved it that I know of, or at least havent posted a solution. When I weld the new perches on the bottom of the axle, can I just weld them exactly parallel (180*) to the original ones? Effectively flipping the leafs and reusing my old U-bolts. I know all about how the axle shaft needs to be 1-3* lower than the trans output so when the vehicle moves forward it rolls up and makes perfect harmony. But, I wonder if the parallel perch thing would suffice.

2. C-notch. Will a C-notch designed for a C-10 frame work on a C20? I know POL sells a notch kit supposedly for C20's but it looks a bit flimsy. "Could be wrong".

3. What about moving the carrier bearing forward an inch?

Surely the awesome collective minds on this site can answer these Q's?

Heres the truck. stock height and than a rough draft or what I hope to achieve. just a little lower in the back. Shorter tires.

cleansquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:16 AM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: ATTN Suspension vendors/gurus

You can get new perches from Summit for $30, and $60 for new U bolts. Make your own plates out of 1/4 steel for $10 if you have a scrap steel place like I do. Also notches can be done for less then $20.

I did the same on a truck I had years ago, and I never had the trouble of the flip brackets bending. Plus I could use regular shim pads for easy adjustment. Or just wait to weld the perches on till pinion angle is perfect.

As for the driveshaft on my truck I can move mine forward 3/4 of an inch just just drilling new holes for the carrier bearing. If you can not have it shortened 3/4 of a inch.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
cleansquare
Account Suspended

Well question is, do I need to move the carrier bearing?

I bought a c notch from performance onljne, they work for c10 and c20
Posted via Mobile Device
cleansquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:26 AM   #4
tinydb84

I have seen the half ton guys move theirs up when bagging the truck. I am going to move mine (whenever I get time to work on her). I have an extra set of perches if you are interested
Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
tinydb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:25 AM   #5
andrewmp6

What i was told the c20 is a c10 frame with some extra bracing on the cross pieces.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote