The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds 88-98

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2018, 09:35 PM   #1
Skellington

Ryan's 3-hundo C1500

I was on holiday when I ended up seeing this 1991 C1500 short bed truck. Apparently it was for sale if I wanted it. It was a manual transmission 5 speed hooked to a 5.7 small block. I don't have a pic to how and where it was sitting. I did some work on the truck and decided to buy it. I paid 300 for it. I figured for 3 hundo, I could do something with it. It had an exploded 10 bolt diff. I would have to replace the carrier and gears.

The last people that owned the truck was a commercial lawn service with a fleet of vehicles. Before that, It was a Forest Service vehicle. When the previous owners quit using it, they robbed parts form the TBI to use on other trucks. They stole most sensors. There was another truck to borrow parts from to try to get this one going. After rebuilding the TBI gaskets, sensors, stabbing a distributor, and a starter, the thing would spark but not start. We pulled the bed to check the fuel system and it all checked out fine.

We then foud out that someone took the ECU as well. We plugged one in, and the truck fired right up. At this point I knew my $300 investment was worth while.
Stock Engine Bay. You can see the old forest service color.

The interior was nothing fancy. It has hand crank windows, old rotary looking gauges placed within that old square looking dash. You sit on a miss matched blue bench seat that is not mounted to the floor.

The odometer was right at 100k and it is accurate.

I never thought I would be so excited to buy an old lawn service truck, but I have always wanted a short bed, standard cab, full size 2wd with a manual transmission.
Skellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:58 PM   #2
Skellington

Re: Ryan's 3-hundo C1500

After getting the engine running on the first day, I figured I should get the parts to make it drive. It was a 1/2 off weekend at the local parts yard, so I figured I would take a look. I am normally used to collecting parts for very rare foreign cars, so seeing 100+ vehicles that would trade parts with mine made me a little gitty. I pulled a bunch of parts for my truck, and a few for others. I paid $149 out the door for: bucket seats from a suburban, non cracked oem tail lights, a leather S10 steering wheel that I liked,

A 3.41 open diff. It was on a low mile vehicle.

A set of caps that I will be painting, 2 door handles, interior lights, dash switches, a matching spare, and other random bits.

I installed the diff, bled the clutch, and took the truck for a ride. It drove nicely and did a few doughnuts to check the diff. It didn't explode, so we did something right. Once the engine warmed up, it smelled like lawn clippings which gave me a little laugh. I was running out of time, so I bolted on the steering wheel. It looks great, but occasionally honks on its own while turning (ill have to mess with it later). I also set the seats in place.

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...d5&oe=5BBD7157

I took the rest of the stickers off. Who ever was previously doing it gouged the paint down to primer. The paint is crap so it doesn't really matter.

I then pressure washed the moss and grime off the truck. It doesn't look too bad for an old lawn service / forest service truck.

It was time for me to go home, so I had to park the truck in the field until my next trip to work on it.

I can't wait till my next trip to work on it.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:18 AM   #3
Terrick down Under

You did well with the truck and spares.
Terrick down Under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:03 AM   #4
Katrina/10

Cool truck, I hope the clutch and trans work well.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 02:42 PM   #5
Skellington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina/10 View Post
Cool truck, I hope the clutch and trans work well.
They do. I think they put a heavy duty clutch in. Trans feels very nice.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:46 PM   #6
Katrina/10

Then you should be about ready to go. Great junkyard finds too, it's great to go find what you want at a low price!

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:05 AM   #7
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

To me those buckets are about the most comfortable set you can ever find. I have used them in 3 different year trucks. They fell so good for long drives.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:21 PM   #8
diveplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skellington View Post
I was on holiday when I ended up seeing this 1991 C1500 short bed truck. Apparently it was for sale if I wanted it. It was a manual transmission 5 speed hooked to a 5.7 small block. I don't have a pic to how and where it was sitting. I did some work on the truck and decided to buy it. I paid 300 for it. I figured for 3 hundo, I could do something with it. It had an exploded 10 bolt diff. I would have to replace the carrier and gears.

The last people that owned the truck was a commercial lawn service with a fleet of vehicles. Before that, It was a Forest Service vehicle. When the previous owners quit using it, they robbed parts form the TBI to use on other trucks. They stole most sensors. There was another truck to borrow parts from to try to get this one going. After rebuilding the TBI gaskets, sensors, stabbing a distributor, and a starter, the thing would spark but not start. We pulled the bed to check the fuel system and it all checked out fine.

We then foud out that someone took the ECU as well. We plugged one in, and the truck fired right up. At this point I knew my $300 investment was worth while.
Stock Engine Bay. You can see the old forest service color.

The interior was nothing fancy. It has hand crank windows, old rotary looking gauges placed within that old square looking dash. You sit on a miss matched blue bench seat that is not mounted to the floor.

The odometer was right at 100k and it is accurate.

I never thought I would be so excited to buy an old lawn service truck, but I have always wanted a short bed, standard cab, full size 2wd with a manual transmission.
brilliant and good luck with your project. she will look fantastic restored.
diveplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:47 PM   #9
LT7A

I'd like to find a truck like that. With a 5-speed and a 5.7 you have all the right stuff on there. You also don't have all the weight adding options like power windows etc. That will be really fun to drive.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 02:58 PM   #10
okndn

What did the seats come out of
okndn is offline   Reply With Quote