The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2017, 06:30 PM   #1
GMDad

Door jamb switch

Ran into a little problem after installing a door jamb switch in my 65 C10. I drilled the hole and tapped it with a 1/8" pipe tap but now the switch won't tighten up to the door. Any ideas how to fix it without making another hole?

Tks
GMDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:07 PM   #2
TopFuel1966

Re: Door jamb switch

Unless you're planning on removing it anytime soon, put a little dab of JB Weld on it. I believe those switches are made to be self tapping

Last edited by TopFuel1966; 03-21-2017 at 08:09 PM. Reason: spelling
TopFuel1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:44 PM   #3
GMDad

Was thinking of JB but will it provide a ground for the switch to operate?

Also wondering if I can get a nutsert with a pipe thread?
Old 03-21-2017, 11:17 PM   #4
64shortbox

I don't know of anyone that makes a nutsert for 1/8" pipe BUT if I remember the jamb switch I used on my 64 C-10 (from a Caddy) was either 3/8 - 24 or 5/16 - 24 and according to McMaster-Carr a steel low profile rivnut for a 38-24 takes a 9/16" hole and a 5/16-24 takes a 1/2" hole so you should be covered.
64shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:24 PM   #5
GMDad

Found my problem. Never realized that pipe threads are tapered and when I used the tap on the pillar I ran the tap all the way thru. And of course the nut on the door jamb switch is not tapered so we are trying a few rounds of tin foil wrapped around the threads. Tightened it up quite a bit but not 100% but think it will hold. If not was suggested to try some fine copper wire wrapped in the threads of the nut. If not will chase down a Caddy switch and use the rivnut.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:33 PM   #6
64shortbox

I got a little carried away on my set up. I picked up the footwell light & wiring harness form a 73 C-10 and added that too. I felt that wasn't enough light with the cab light and the single foot well light from the 73 so I added 2 more footwell lights from a Jeep Cherokee. I was pulling the front door checks to use in my 64 when I noticed the foot well lights so I grabbed them as long as I was there. Now when I open the doors to my truck I can definitely see. This getting old SUCKS!
64shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:32 AM   #7
GMDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64shortbox View Post
I got a little carried away on my set up. I picked up the footwell light & wiring harness form a 73 C-10 and added that too. I felt that wasn't enough light with the cab light and the single foot well light from the 73 so I added 2 more footwell lights from a Jeep Cherokee. I was pulling the front door checks to use in my 64 when I noticed the foot well lights so I grabbed them as long as I was there. Now when I open the doors to my truck I can definitely see. This getting old SUCKS!
I was actually looking online for some type of under dash lights as well. Are the Jeep lights an easy install and bright? LED bulb? I had a pair of the Jeep check links but one had a broken spring so didn't use them. I guess the lock position helps but they didn't open any wider than my stock ones and then I drilled an extra hole for the cotter pin in my stock ones and they open pretty wide now. Don't have the fenders back on yet so hoping no clearance issues.