The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2018, 12:57 PM   #1
Jackson's Dad 64 C10

Picking up an LY6/4L80E this weekend... What extra parts should I grab?

I found an LY6/4L80E on Craig's not too far from me, and have made arrangements to pick it up on Saturday. It was just pulled from a wrecked 2010 Silverado 2500, which was a fleet truck for the seller's job. The seller bought the truck from his company, and pulled the engine/trans with plans to put it in his 69 Camaro, but has decided to keep the current engine in the car.

I'm getting the engine/trans, full harness (verified that it wasn't cut to remove), ECM/TCM, front-end accessory drive with all accessories, gas pedal, etc. The truck had 114k miles when it was wrecked, and he has all the service records for the truck since new. I'm stoked over this one. I feel like I'm paying a fair price for it, not a steal, but nobody is getting screwed over either. I think it's a good foundation for our 64. Decent power now, and plenty of potential for later.

On to the real questions...
I'm going to do a compression test (engine is currently on a stand), check the oil, and do a visual once-over on everything. Anything else that I'm not thinking about, that I should check? Supposedly it ran great when recently pulled, but the last time I bought an engine that "ran great", I ended up with a dirt-track cheater engine, with 11:1 pop up pistons, and hacksawed threaded rod for "screw-in rocker studs". Live and learn (and I've learned A LOT since that purchase)

The seller is a pretty cool gearhead, and has offered other parts from the donor truck, if I want them. Is there anything that I'm not thinking about, that I should try to take with me? The seller mentioned that the bed is off, and I can get the entire fuel tank (already have a tank under the bed on the 64, but I don't know if it has provisions for EFI), or I can just grab the sending unit (and pump? Don't know if OEM is a one piece unit). Depending on the size, I may grab the master cylinder and booster. Don't know if it will fit, but I'm going to have to replace the old single pot MC eventually. May as well save a few bucks.

Thanks for the input! I have to get some pics resized, so I can start a build thread, but I'm looking forward to playing with a Gen IV engine!

-Chris
Jackson's Dad 64 C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:02 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Picking up an LY6/4L80E this weekend... What extra parts should I grab?

If its got a hyrdoboost pump, take the boosted master for sure.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:04 PM   #3
Macdaddy1

Grab the entire fuel system including all lines. You can adapt them for your truck as needed. Grab all fluid reservoirs you may want to use them. Grab all hoses as some will work depending on the components your truck has. Will the radiator fit your truck?
Macdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:57 PM   #4
Jackson's Dad 64 C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
If its got a hyrdoboost pump, take the boosted master for sure.
Great point! Love your truck, BTW. One of my YouTube inspirations, when I look at our project and think, "man that's gonna be a lot of work"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdaddy1 View Post
Grab the entire fuel system including all lines. You can adapt them for your truck as needed. Grab all fluid reservoirs you may want to use them. Grab all hoses as some will work depending on the components your truck has. Will the radiator fit your truck?
Great points there too! I don't know if the radiator will fit. Come to think of it, I don't know if the radiator survived the collision. I'm not sure where the truck was hit, but I do know that the driveline was not damaged.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:16 PM   #5
67pete300

I just parted out a 2006 GMC. I’m sure I kept too much stuff but here are some thoughts. I wanted to use the radiator and fans but they are just too wide. It would be major reconstruction of the inner fenders and core support to make it work. (For my 65)

I took the whole shift cable up to the column. Not sure if it will work but I have it.

Definitely grab the door weatherstripping.

I also took the battery tray, air intake and intake support brackets. Not sure I’ll do it but I could make it look stock.

I took the whole AC system forward of the firewall.

Also got the trans cooler and lines and power steering cooler.
67pete300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:20 PM   #6
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson's Dad 64 C10 View Post
Great point! Love your truck, BTW. One of my YouTube inspirations, when I look at our project and think, "man that's gonna be a lot of work"!
Much appreciated man. Good luck on your swap!

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:00 AM   #7
95 S_Trucker

Being a 2010, it should have a 6L90E, not a 4L80E. You mentioned TCM, the 4L80E doesn't have one.

Make sure your not getting mix matched units.
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:14 AM   #8
Jackson's Dad 64 C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 S_Trucker View Post
Being a 2010, it should have a 6L90E, not a 4L80E. You mentioned TCM, the 4L80E doesn't have one.

Make sure your not getting mix matched units.
That's a good call. I'll have to do some research, just to make sure I know what the OEM combos are before I get there. Dude says he pulled it all together from the truck, so I guess there's the possibility that it's not a 2010, or that the trans is a 6L90E, and he's calling it a 4L80E. I'll dig up some pics of both, so I can visually ID the trans.

Is there any benefit/point to grabbing the BCM while I'm in there? I don't know what purposes it could serve (other than making VATS happy, and I'm going to tune it out with HPTuners), if I'm not getting things like the seats, etc. I thought about grabbing the compass mirror (if equipped), but I'm not sure which sensors drive it.

Keep the suggestions coming. A forum full of ideas is way better than just me!
Old 06-15-2018, 09:32 PM   #9
Jackson's Dad 64 C10

Seller just called and said Saturday is out, so it looks like it’s gonna be Monday before I can get it. He confirmed that the master cylinder is hydro boost, and is pulling it for me. Hopefully I can use it, since improved clearance is always a welcome thing! I’ve got my work cut out for me on this swap, but I’m looking forward to the end result.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:06 AM   #10
Jackson's Dad 64 C10

I was able to pick up the engine and trans yesterday (Happy Father's Day to me!). I verified that the transmission is a 6l90e. I have the engine harness, PCM, alternator and power steering pump, master cylinder with hydroboost (and all hoses), I left the AC compressor and lines/dryer because I was running out of light, but the seller said he is just going to scrap the truck, and that I am welcome to any of the parts that I want. I grabbed the BCM, but I don't know that I will use it for anything.

I got home and started wondering if I should have grabbed any of the wiring from the inside of the truck (body harness side)? I'm not new to wrenching, wiring or computers (the PC kind), so none of this is particularly intimidating, but I've never swapped an LS before, so I want to make sure that I am not in for any nasty surprises later. I'm pretty sure that I got the big stuff, but can I get a gut check on that, while I still have access to the donor vehicle? Thanks!

-Chris
Old 06-19-2018, 12:42 PM   #11
SBTork
Garage wrench

If you can make sure you grab the accelerator pedal, harness to it, oxygen sensors and maybe even the y-pipe too.

90 V1500 GMC Suburban 350/700R4/NP241.....
01 Saturn SL1 stock DD.....
SBTork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 12:58 PM   #12
Jackson's Dad 64 C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBTork View Post
If you can make sure you grab the accelerator pedal, harness to it, oxygen sensors and maybe even the y-pipe too.
I got the pedal and harness, but I am not sure that I got the whole thing. I keep seeing references to the TAC module, but I don't know that I have it. The donor is a 2010 Silverado 2500. Does anyone know if the module is still separate? Most of the info that I can find is for earlier model year trucks.

The O2 sensors were not coming out without some brute force, and I couldn't get a good angle on them. I'll just put some new ones in. We are going to run dual exhaust with an H or X pipe (depends on clearance), so I wasn't too worried about the stock Y pipe.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:09 AM   #13
95 S_Trucker

There's no separate TAC module in a 2010.
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote