The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2017, 12:44 AM   #1
Rust-O-Matic

'66 glovebox liner fitment

Anybody else have trouble replacing their glovebox liner with an aftermarket one? It's the correct one for my truck (with A/C), it's just a total piece of crap.

I couldn't get the passenger side edge sandwiched behind the hinge bracket, and the lower front edge is nowhere near inserted under the lip like it's supposed to be. You can see the gap in the pics. No amount of smashing or swearing could finagle it into position.

Are there any alternatives, like folding one out of sheet metal or something? Or maybe a particular brand that fits better? What have you guys done?
Attached Images

Rust-O-Matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:46 AM   #2
Rust-O-Matic

Re: '66 glovebox liner fitment

Not sure why the passenger side pics uploaded sideways. Sorry, just tilt your head and pretend you have taco neck syndrome.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:22 AM   #3
ACK

Grizz1963 did one, don't know if he has AC or not, you'll have to search the forum to see if there's more info. Here's a link to the template http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ight=glove+box
Old 09-16-2017, 11:59 AM   #4
The Rocknrod

I "plan" to put mine on without the door first and see that works. This thread is where I got the idea: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=719334
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 04:39 PM   #5
The Rocknrod

Look what I found.
http://www.restomodair.com/shopprodu...ovebox-0033-1/
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 05:46 PM   #6
Rust-O-Matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACK View Post
Grizz1963 did one, don't know if he has AC or not, you'll have to search the forum to see if there's more info. Here's a link to the template http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ight=glove+box
Thanks, but I believe this template is for non-ac because mine is more wedge shaped, and less rectangular front to rear... if that makes sense. I may cut one out anyway and modify it til it fits. Then transfer that to sheet metal.

Quote:
I "plan" to put mine on without the door first and see that works. This thread is where I got the idea: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=719334
Can you get to the door hinge bolt on each side once the hinge is installed without the door? Maybe my AC housing is larger than the others. I don't think I can get any tools in there to put the door on afterward.

Removing the door might make it a little less awkward, but my liner just seems to fit really poorly. Once the top screws were in, I could pull the left side pretty much into place ok, but the right side seems like 3/4" too short. The screws in the top won't allow that side to pulled any further forward, and it's hard to pull it at all because the AC blocks access to the box from under the dash. Not much to grab onto inside the glovebox. And the bottom front edge seems way to far back, so it doesn't fit into the hinge slot.

What's the story with this one? Maybe I'm blind or dense, but I don't see any sort of description of what it is made of or which applications it fits.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:00 PM   #7
65chevysub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust-O-Matic View Post
Thanks, but I believe this template is for non-ac because mine is more wedge shaped, and less rectangular front to rear... if that makes sense. I may cut one out anyway and modify it til it fits. Then transfer that to sheet metal.

Can you get to the door hinge bolt on each side once the hinge is installed without the door? Maybe my AC housing is larger than the others. I don't think I can get any tools in there to put the door on afterward.

Removing the door might make it a little less awkward, but my liner just seems to fit really poorly. Once the top screws were in, I could pull the left side pretty much into place ok, but the right side seems like 3/4" too short. The screws in the top won't allow that side to pulled any further forward, and it's hard to pull it at all because the AC blocks access to the box from under the dash. Not much to grab onto inside the glovebox. And the bottom front edge seems way to far back, so it doesn't fit into the hinge slot.

What's the story with this one? Maybe I'm blind or dense, but I don't see any sort of description of what it is made of or which applications it fits.
I just emailed the company to find out what it is made out of. When I find out something, probably Monday, I will post it here If it is a plastic one, I will get one to see how it installs and works out.
65chevysub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:22 AM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

This is one of those "if my stock one ever fails" type of projects. When mine finally disentegrates, I'll end up making a fiberglass/cf insert of some sort to replace it. Not putting cardboard in the truck again.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:11 AM   #9
LT1 Burb

It just takes a little massaging to get it in right, they are a pain.
Attached Images

LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 02:40 PM   #10
rvrfoot

I put mine in from brothers but i dont have air. Went in with no problem.
rvrfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 02:43 PM   #11
rvrfoot

Name:  DSCN0731.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  36.3 KB
rvrfoot is offline   Reply With Quote