The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2017, 12:40 PM   #1
FB85C10

LS Wiring Harness

Has anyone on here built there own stand alone wiring harnesses for there LS motors? How did you do it?
FB85C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:05 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: LS Wiring Harness

there's a ton of online howtos..google it ..it'll make your head spin..I didn't want a spinning head so I got mine from PSI..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:17 PM   #3
PunishedC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
there's a ton of online howtos..google it ..it'll make your head spin..I didn't want a spinning head so I got mine from PSI..
Same here. PSI Conversion
Posted via Mobile Device
PunishedC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:35 AM   #4
Pro Performance

I have done my own, and just have to have patience and organization. But yes, easier to buy one of course, and time saving. Check out LT1swap.com for a process of how to do your own. If you want aftermarket, we can get Modern Vintage for you.
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 03:35 PM   #5
chooch

UCanDoIt on Youtube does a pretty good job explaining it. I would recommend watching his harness videos.

LINKY!
chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 12:02 PM   #6
FB85C10

has anyone used the LT1swap.com info to do your own standalone wiring harness? have you came across that some of the color of wiring does not match the info of the site compared to your pcm connectors? What should i do i know the green pcm #52 and #53 i think it was for example it says one color on the sheet but the connector had a different color wire?
FB85C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:28 PM   #7
chooch

I don't think the color of wire is as important as what pin location it is on the PCM and where it goes. Just verify that and it should be good to go. The C2 52/53 goes to HO2S Heater Low Control Bank 1/2 Sensor 2. 52 Brown and 53 Red/White.
chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:15 AM   #8
gmachinz
Account Suspended

You should really stick to correct color coding for future troubleshooting if for no other reason.
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:38 AM   #9
homemade87

Quote:
Originally Posted by FB85C10 View Post
has anyone used the LT1swap.com info to do your own standalone wiring harness? have you came across that some of the color of wiring does not match the info of the site compared to your pcm connectors? What should i do i know the green pcm #52 and #53 i think it was for example it says one color on the sheet but the connector had a different color wire?
I used it for my 04 truck harness and was spot on on color and pin locations . Be sure you are using the proper year info for your harness . There is most likely some differences from year to year .
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:45 AM   #10
e015475

I've done a few with Brandons instructions on LT1swap .Com. My reference notebook looks just like the one posted in the video. I'd tackle the job just the way he suggests.

Brandons site is very good but he doesn't have every possible configuration needed. If you search the wiring diagram references for the specific year and model you're dealing with on Autozone site, you can download factory wiring diagrams.

My oldest conversion is about 12 years old now and working well. Making your own harness isn't that difficult, but making it reliable over the long term requires a little thought.

I'd pay careful attention to the way ucandoit2 on the way he'd logically grouped his pink power leads to the fuse box. I'd also throughly check all the grounds and make sure they're all there.

A few other tips

-A meter that 'chirps' for checking continuity is very useful for troubleshooting
-Buy a de-pinning tool.
-Make all your wire connection with a soldered butt connector,
-Cover all joined wires with shrink tube. I usually do it twice, once witn a piece for strain relief at the joint and another for a double cover over the connector.
-Get rid of that nasty corrugated plastic sheath on the OE harness. When I can unpin a connector and use shrink wrap or over braid, I do. Other parts of the harness can be protected with sheath that will open and recluse on itself and lots like the overbraided sheath. Check out WAYTEK for wire sheathing, but you can buy more economical quantity on ebay.
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:06 PM   #11
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I've done enough swaps that I should be able to delete/repin/modify a harness pretty easily.

I don't, because I'm crazy enough without putting myself through that again. IMO its worth every bit of the 5-700 a custom harness done right costs.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:37 PM   #12
A1971Blazer

I had a guy do my factory harness....nice job for $375.00
http://www.standaloneharness.com/ls-engine.html
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:27 AM   #13
racecougar

Easy peazy...just time consuming. Especially if you relocate the PCM, relocate the coils, and tuck everything.
Attached Images