The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2009, 12:03 AM   #1
GMCMG

Picking a rear end for my 1964 GMC

I am two days into my 64 GMC half-ton build project, and have stripped it down to the cab, suspension, and frame. Once the cab is off, I am prepping the frame, and doing suspension/drivetrain. I am converting the front to disc brakes from a 78, and will have 5 lugs. I am looking for suggestions for a donor axle for the rear. I am looking for something that I can preferably bolt on, but am willing to cut/weld spring mounts as necessary. Here are my needs: 2.4 to 2.5 something ratio (was looking at 2.41), would like to match the wheel offsets on the 78 (believe it is a 62" axle, but correct me), don't care about posi or anything like that, will probably stick with drums, and stick with leaf springs. I would like to soften the rear suspension, as this truck will never haul anything, so would be interested in suggestions here, as well. Maybe a car axle/leafs?
Originally posted in the 60-66 general forum; realized I should have posted it here instead.
Thanks in advance.
- 1966 Chevy 3/4 ton frame/doors/fenders donor
- tons of parts - cause you can't build a truck without 4 of everything!

2001 3/4HD Duramax Diesel extended cab lwb4x4
1984 Chevy C30 6.2 diesel lift truck (project)
1962 GMC w/5 lugs, 350/350 auto (was for parts, but couldn't bring myself to do it!)

glascock.m@hotmail.com
GMCMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:09 PM   #2
PhilaTruck
Right on the line, baby!

Re: Picking a rear end for my 1964 GMC

Ttt

Click and scroll down for site vendors!

Subscribe here!
PhilaTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:22 PM   #3
cableguy0

Re: Picking a rear end for my 1964 GMC

a stock rear from a 71-72 will be 5 lug and bolt in. a truck with a v8 will most likely have a 3.07 ratio. going into the mid 2.xx on gear ratio will probably be a mistake and lead to horrible mileage and an extremely sluggish truck that isnt any fun to drive.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote