The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2018, 07:56 PM   #1
Psudokiller

ford bolt pattern on chevy

ok so first off, i know some people are going to pull their hair out and yell at me for this, just know your rants fall on deaf ears, i am not looking for your opinion of what i should do with my truck, only tech help, now that we are clear on that, my question is as follows:

is there a way to convert the FRONT of a 67-72 c10 from the stock 6lug pattern to the big ford 5x5.5 truck pattern (spindles that fit the ford rotor, ford rotor that fits on chevy spindle, etc), i know what your going to say "you idiot why would you want to do that", simple, i have a ford 9" that was given to me that i intend to swap into my truck in place of the 12 bolt, for obvious reasons, i know you can convert the rear to 6 lug chevy pattern, the only swap kit i found is 800 bucks, so if i can swap the front to the ford pattern to match the rear for cheaper, i am willing to buy new wheels (cause lets be honest, ford wheels are cheap too).

i know speedway has rotors that fit the chevy spindle and has a ford pattern, HOWEVER, they use the small ford car pattern, i want the big truck pattern, if someone sells rotors that have the big pattern and fit on chevy spindles, that would be perfect.

thanks for any advice.
Psudokiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:12 PM   #2
harpo231

Re: ford bolt pattern on chevy

Good Luck ,,, I have not heard of this being done but more will chime in... even more if your post didnt start so defensively .....
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:24 PM   #3
Psudokiller

apologies, i have had a few run ins on other forums where people seem to be there only to bash others for their choice in modifications
Old 02-06-2018, 08:31 PM   #4
harpo231

It's yer truck , make it better however you want !
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:37 PM   #5
geezer#99

I’d yell at you and pull out my hair but alas I don’t have much hair left!
Have you looked into redrilling the rotors. That might work but the hub(centre hole) might be the problem. Or you could try adaptors.
Next thing you’ll be doing is putting a ford motor in that Chevy. Lol!

And welcome to the zoo!
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:39 PM   #6
Psudokiller

naw, its a twin turbo 350 with a built th400

if i could find a cheaper kit to convert the rear to 6 lug i would not even think about this, im open to all options at this point so any advice or ideas are welcome
Old 02-06-2018, 09:09 PM   #7
Psudokiller

ok i seem to have found something that might work better,

http://www.quickperformance.com/Quic...pair_p_49.html

also i have found 71-72 5x5 front disc brake setup with spindles in my area on craigslist for around 150, thoughts?
Old 02-06-2018, 09:27 PM   #8
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psudokiller View Post
naw, its a twin turbo 350 with a built th400

if i could find a cheaper kit to convert the rear to 6 lug i would not even think about this, im open to all options at this point so any advice or ideas are welcome
About 20 years ago, I needed some new GM 12-Bolt axles and the factory was on strike, so the local dealers were out. I got a pair of custom-cut Moser axles for less than retail dealers' price on stock '67 Chevy 6-lug axles. They said they could cut them for any application for me and were lifetime-guaranteed. Still running good on my Moser axles in a 12-Bolt carrier and Auburn posi, even after I had to cannibalize the whole differential assembly from my '67 K/10 Suburban to my '71 GMC K/1500 Jimmy.
Moser may be able to custom build you a pair of axles that fit your Ford 9'' and have the Chevy 6 lug bolt pattern.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:12 PM   #9
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
apologies, i have had a few run ins on other forums where people seem to be there only to bash others for their choice in modifications

Welcome to the best board on the net!

I think you will find this forum doesn't work like that. Anyone starts bashing on this forum they won't be around long...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:56 PM   #10
special-K
Special Order

There were Lincolns that came with 9" disc brake rears and their bolt pattern is 5 on 5. I'd think you could just use those rotor/hubs. Then again, Ford isn't known for parts swapability on the level Chevys are. I guess look to see if those front rotors will swap, too

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:44 AM   #11
ratty69

If you redrill the rotor, you may run into a couple of problems. One is insufficient space inside the hub area for the studs to move out the extra 1/4". The other is the stiffening ribs between the studs.

If you want to drill the rear to six lug, using a trick from the import guys MAY work. Since both bolt patterns are on the same CIRCLE size, some times it's possible to take a drum or rotor of the pattern you want and bolt it on backwards using one stud ( after the rest have been knocked out ), and use it as a template to drill your new bolt pattern. This works if none of the holes overlap or are dangerously close together.

I've never done this with the bolt patterns in question, only four-to-five lug, so idk if it'll work here. An easy way to get a visual of how it'll line up is to use spray paint through the drum holes after you bolt it to the axle flange.

Apologies for the long post, but hope it helps.
Attached Images

ratty69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:22 AM   #12
Psudokiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
About 20 years ago, I needed some new GM 12-Bolt axles and the factory was on strike, so the local dealers were out. I got a pair of custom-cut Moser axles for less than retail dealers' price on stock '67 Chevy 6-lug axles. They said they could cut them for any application for me and were lifetime-guaranteed. Still running good on my Moser axles in a 12-Bolt carrier and Auburn posi, even after I had to cannibalize the whole differential assembly from my '67 K/10 Suburban to my '71 GMC K/1500 Jimmy.
Moser may be able to custom build you a pair of axles that fit your Ford 9'' and have the Chevy 6 lug bolt pattern.
yea i think i found the answer in the above post, the expensive kit was from a 6 lug from currie, if i swap the front to 5x5 then alot of guys make axles alot cheeper, so i can swap both front and rear to the 5x5 for less than swapping the rear to 6 lug, which is great cause i have drum up front and want disc anyways
Old 02-07-2018, 04:23 AM   #13
Psudokiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Welcome to the best board on the net!

I think you will find this forum doesn't work like that. Anyone starts bashing on this forum they won't be around long...

LockDoc

glad to hear it, i will remember this in future posts
Old 02-07-2018, 04:24 AM   #14
Psudokiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
There were Lincolns that came with 9" disc brake rears and their bolt pattern is 5 on 5. I'd think you could just use those rotor/hubs. Then again, Ford isn't known for parts swapability on the level Chevys are. I guess look to see if those front rotors will swap, too
thanks, i was not aware they did this, im not sure how interchangeable they are, but im sure Lincoln had disc rear so maybe i can get a brake setup for cheep that way
Old 02-07-2018, 04:25 AM   #15
Psudokiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty69 View Post
If you redrill the rotor, you may run into a couple of problems. One is insufficient space inside the hub area for the studs to move out the extra 1/4". The other is the stiffening ribs between the studs.

If you want to drill the rear to six lug, using a trick from the import guys MAY work. Since both bolt patterns are on the same CIRCLE size, some times it's possible to take a drum or rotor of the pattern you want and bolt it on backwards using one stud ( after the rest have been knocked out ), and use it as a template to drill your new bolt pattern. This works if none of the holes overlap or are dangerously close together.

I've never done this with the bolt patterns in question, only four-to-five lug, so idk if it'll work here. An easy way to get a visual of how it'll line up is to use spray paint through the drum holes after you bolt it to the axle flange.

Apologies for the long post, but hope it helps.
thank you, it does help, i have a future project i might be able to use this trick on
Old 02-07-2018, 04:30 AM   #16
RustyPile

Quote:
ok i seem to have found something that might work better,

http://www.quickperformance.com/Quic...pair_p_49.html

also i have found 71-72 5x5 front disc brake setup with spindles in my area on craigslist for around 150, thoughts?
You didn't say what year your truck is, so I'm assuming it's pre-71.. Convert the front to 5 lug/disk.. Drill the Ford axles to match the front spindles.
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:30 PM   #17
HO455
Post Whore

It would be much easier to to have your current 9 inch axles redrilled for the chevy pattern. It is not a big deal we just had a pair of 58 Pontiac axles redrilled for 5x4-3/4. It was under 100 bucks. If the pattern won't fit (6 on 5) then look at using later model metric 6 lug axles and redrill them. The off road web sites are full of information on these kinds of projects. Or run adapters (I'm not a fan of them but they seem to be everywhere these days).

Good luck and welcome aboard!
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377

Last edited by HO455; 02-07-2018 at 01:36 PM.
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:01 PM   #18
Swar

So you have the money for twin turbos, but not enough to build up the 12 bolt rear?
Swar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:56 PM   #19
mikecaddy500

Why don't you just take the axles out and drill them for a chevy bolt pattern? Any good machine shop should be able to do that for a reasonable cost.
mikecaddy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:08 AM   #20
Psudokiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swar View Post
So you have the money for twin turbos, but not enough to build up the 12 bolt rear?
not building up the 12 bolt rear because im building a shortened, trussed 9" with a locker and a double triangulated 4 link coil over rear, why would i build a weaker axle?
Old 02-20-2018, 03:11 AM   #21
Psudokiller

thank you all for the ideas, i have learned two things so far,

1: i have good options that i can look into
2: this forum does not suffer from the same rampant assholes as other forums i have used, i will absolutely stay, i will be posting a more detailed build for my truck.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:20 AM   #22
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Get new axles from moser. It's easy I narrowed an F-150 housing on one side to center the pinion in the rearend.

Tell them spline count and bold pattern. They'll walk you thru the rest of the measurements.

Any bolt patern you want too
Old 02-20-2018, 06:10 AM   #23
bbrriiaann1973

Yes you are right we will be pull our teeth out
Old 02-20-2018, 06:11 AM   #24
bbrriiaann1973

Nothing on a Ford should ever be installed on a Chevy
Old 02-20-2018, 11:40 AM   #25
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrriiaann1973 View Post
Nothing on a Ford should ever be installed on a Chevy

Open mouth insert foot. You might want to rethink that statement.

Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  70.0 KB

Then there's Vice Versa.

Name:  s-l1600 (1).jpg
Views: 408
Size:  65.2 KB

and just for good measure.

Name:  s-l1600 (2).jpg
Views: 404
Size:  61.3 KB

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote