The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2017, 02:00 PM   #1
mike1954

Sealer

The last time I did any auto painting was 25 years ago. I used Martin Senour products a the time. I shot a couple of clear coat/base coat trucks and a couple a acrylic enamel tucks(not my favorite).
I use a non sanding primer prior to the paint. Every time I ask about a non sanding primer a get a strange look. I know paint products have advanced a lot in 25 years,
I sure did like the non sanding primer I used to use you shoot it straight out of the can but I have no idea the name of it.
Any advise on non sanding primers would be appreciated.
Mike
mike1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:43 PM   #2
MARTINSR

Re: Sealer

Mike, I was a Martin Senour paint rep in the late 90's I don't remember a "non sanding primer" there were sealers but not a primer that I can remember.

The best today would be an epoxy primer, thin it to be a sealer. This would be of course following manufacturers guidelines! Check out what SPI has,m they mail to your house free. http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/

But you do NOT want to use a single can product, you want a "2k" something with a hardener that "cures" instead of "dries."

Epoxy is the way to go.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:48 PM   #3
mike1954

You are probably correct it was a sealer shot directly from the can. Any way I appreciate the help.
Mike
mike1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:11 PM   #4
Marty68

i sprayed a lot of single component sealers in the 80s, was sprayed right out of the can to give uniform color, could have minor bare metal cut throughs, non sanding. never a SW sealer. we used dupont sealer Centari AE SW base clear. Martin Sr. is correct. there are 2 components sealers spi has one in several colors 4:2:1 use just as you remember or 4:2, use as filling primer. or best yet an epoxy mixed as sealer gives great adhesion and a stable substrate.
Marty68 is offline   Reply With Quote