The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2015, 09:18 AM   #1
TypeSL2

Air Bag Install Question

I was going to post this in the suspension section, but this is more a 60-66 specific question. I am currently installing bags on my '64. After I installed the upper bag bracket on the driver's side last night, I attempted to install the bag. I got the bag mounted and started to raise the lower control arm while watching the bag for any rubbing. I found the bumpstop bracket touches the bag when it starts to go past half way. Here's a pic of the bracket I am referring to.

Do you guys notch this bracket, or just remove it all together? I am not sure if I am supposed to leave the bumpstops in place or not. So any help there as well would be greatly appreciated.

James
TypeSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:20 AM   #2
BMERDOC

Re: Air Bag Install Question

Remove the whole thing. Use a eurathane "button head" bump stop if you feel like you need one.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:27 AM   #3
blown240

Some bags have internal bump stops. Slam Specialties do. Pretty sure that Firestone doesn't.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:45 AM   #4
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Actually this is not specific to 60-66 but 60-87. I moved it to the suspension forum.

To answer your question, yes this bump stop is typically removed or trimmed back greatly to clear the bag.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:28 AM   #5
JWall
Frequent Flyer

On my truck (73-87) I cut it in half basically. I wanted to retain the steering stop on mine but needed to clearance it for the bag.

On my set up the upper bag plate actually rest on the remaining part of the metal part of the bump stop when full laid out. Which for me is perfect because it makes contact at the same time the tires hit the inner fenders so that not all the weight of the truck is resting on the inner fenders when its laid out.
JWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 01:46 PM   #6
TypeSL2

Awesome. I wasn't sure if they used the same style bump stop on anything past '66. Thanks for moving it. I am thinking I am going to just cut the bumpstop completely off and then figure out where and how to add one back in later.

James
Old 06-11-2015, 04:40 PM   #7
naynay

cut mine off as well

naynay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:53 AM   #8
TypeSL2

So where are you guys mounting your compressors? I want my air tank behind the seats where the fuel tank used to be. With such a short hose from the compressor to the tank, I didn't think I had many options. The compressor is crazy loud in the cab. Thoughts?

James
Old 06-14-2015, 10:09 AM   #9
Tree-50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeSL2 View Post
So where are you guys mounting your compressors? I want my air tank behind the seats where the fuel tank used to be. With such a short hose from the compressor to the tank, I didn't think I had many options. The compressor is crazy loud in the cab. Thoughts?

James
That braided leader hose can run a line off the end of it however long you want. I packed my 3 gallon and valve string on the outside of the frame where the saddle bag gas tank used to be. Compressor is under the cab on the frame rail.
Tree-50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:32 PM   #10
BMERDOC

Porterbuilt makes a nice box that hangs off the side of the frame behind the cab and under the bed. The compressor sits in it and a 3 gal tank hangs off the side. I think they are $80 each.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:27 AM   #11
rudyyloverboiii

I too would like to bag my 64 looks like fun buy I wouldn't want to ruin it
rudyyloverboiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:37 AM   #12
Pro Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree-50 View Post
That braided leader hose can run a line off the end of it however long you want. I packed my 3 gallon and valve string on the outside of the frame where the saddle bag gas tank used to be. Compressor is under the cab on the frame rail.
The PB brackets do make things a little easier to mount. If needed, you can always run some airline off the leader hose if you need more length. We do carry the PB brackets in stock, if you decide that is the route you want to go.

If you do need anything line and fittings, we can get all that as well. Most guys will mount the air ride equipment underneath, and along the frame somewhere.
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote