The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-07-2018, 12:14 AM   #1
Blazedup

56 big window build questions

Hey guys. I’m working on a 1956 big window short bed that I got from my dad just before he passed 10 years ago. He purchased this truck in 1959 and it was his pride and joy and daily driver until it was given to me. When I first got the truck I installed a 76 Camaro subframe and never got the truck put back together . Long story short, I’m now determined to get her back on the road. I recently picked up a 2001 2wd Tahoe with a 5.3l and would like to swap the engine and tranny in the 56 and add airbags. Which parts from the Tahoe should I pull for use on the 56 before I part out the rest of the Tahoe? Will the GM f body swap pan be the best for the sub framed 56? Headers? Do the spring pockets on the Camaro clip need to be opened up for 2500 or 2600 airbags? Sorry for all of the questions, just want to make sure I build it right since it will continue to be in my family for generations to come. Any tips and advice will be much appreciated. Thanks
56 Chev SWB big window(been in family since 59 project)
Blazedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:40 PM   #2
aray327

Re: 56 big window build questions

the oil pan from the truck will likely "fit" into the Camaro clip, but you will find the sump may be too deep, especially since you want to bag it. you can keep the intake from the truck since it will fit under the hood. Keep the coolers. Of course, keep the complete harness, gas petal, tac petal, etc. The front calipers can be adapted if you want an inexpensive big brake kit. I used mid length headers on my 55 LS truck as well as my 69 Camaro. If you aren't looking for every last HP available, mid length headers are great for fit and ground clearance. I can't help you with the bag questions. good luck
aray327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 05:33 PM   #3
Blazedup

Thanks for the info. I ordered the GM fbody oil pan for the additional clearance. The Tahoe front calipers for a inexpensive big brake kit sounds like a great idea. I did some searching for info on adapting the to the Camaro sub frame but didn’t find anything. How is that done?
56 Chev SWB big window(been in family since 59 project)
Blazedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:46 PM   #4
aray327

Try speaking to CLassic Performance Parts (CPP) and Kore3 about adapter bracket and the appropriate rotor. CPP's big brake kit uses tahoe calipers
aray327 is offline   Reply With Quote