The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2007, 09:33 PM   #1
Ackattack

Ackattack's Pro touring restoration thread

I figure I'll start a project thread as I kick this new project off. A lot of things are still undecided, but the main jest is going to be a fuel injected V8 auto tranny shortbed on some wide tires. Going to keep it as a GMC, but shortbed with trailing arm suspension. Right now I'm planning on airbags.

So here are some pics....

I'll be using the cab and front fenders of my 72 GMC

I may use the tpi 350 that's in the GMC now. Probably going to change wheels for a different width, but stick with 17" diameter

Then I got a 68 chevy shortbed. I'll be using the frame and part of the bed.

The tear down of the 68 will begin on Saturday!
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:45 PM   #2
RACINJASON22
GEARHEAD

Re: Ackattack's Pro touring restoration thread

Very Cool!! I Like the sounds of this build.

Keep us posted and remember to keep the pic's coming like you started with

RJ22...

SUBSCRIBE HEREBOARD VENDORS HERE

NORWOOD MEET SURVIVOR!
RACINJASON22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 01:08 AM   #3
Ackattack

got the parts cleaned out of the bed tonight, and swept out the bed. I couldn't get a 100% evaluation on the bed floor condition when I bought it, but it appeared to be rust hole free.

Well after cleaning it out tonight, it surely is free from rust holes. I'd say the bed floor is the best piece of metal on the truck (except for maybe the frame) So that's a good thing!
Old 06-27-2007, 08:15 AM   #4
see ten
WTB this ad

Looks like a good start! When you say "pro touring" are you planning anything aside from bags and wider tires/wheels to make it handle? I would think the porterbuilt kits to install the front and rear corvette suspension would be the ultimate, but of course they aren't in everyones budget.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:47 AM   #5
Ackattack

Well I don't really consider air bags pro-touring material in general. I have a rear 4th gen f-body sway bar. A popular modification for the pro-touring guys is to actually use a trailing arm suspension setup (aka truckarms).

I don't know what exactly my options are in the front. That will require some research/developement. I'm going to have to take some measurements of the stock suspension and see what can be done to possibly improve on them (maybe raise the upper control arm mount, use a different spindle, get corvette suspension, or just make my own control arms.

Also, I'm going to use rear disks brakes (probably a factory type setup) I'll also upgrade to larger front disks.

I haven't really looked into it a lot, but I may also run a hydroboost setup on the MC.

The actual goal of the truck is to outperform a Ford Lightning in all catagories (acceleration, handling, fuel economy, etc.). I know those trucks are fairly quick from the factory, but for a factory truck, they handle very well too.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:37 PM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
Well I don't really consider air bags pro-touring material in general. I have a rear 4th gen f-body sway bar. A popular modification for the pro-touring guys is to actually use a trailing arm suspension setup (aka truckarms).

I don't know what exactly my options are in the front. That will require some research/developement. I'm going to have to take some measurements of the stock suspension and see what can be done to possibly improve on them (maybe raise the upper control arm mount, use a different spindle, get corvette suspension, or just make my own control arms.

Also, I'm going to use rear disks brakes (probably a factory type setup) I'll also upgrade to larger front disks.

I haven't really looked into it a lot, but I may also run a hydroboost setup on the MC.

The actual goal of the truck is to outperform a Ford Lightning in all catagories (acceleration, handling, fuel economy, etc.). I know those trucks are fairly quick from the factory, but for a factory truck, they handle very well too.
I'm on all the Pro-Touring sites as well.... don't exclude air-ride as a choice for your suspension. They will allow much more flexibility while attempting to acheive your goals. Check out those threads on PT.com about the road course challange & see how ART's rides compared vs. static suspended vehicles.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:15 PM   #7
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I'm on all the Pro-Touring sites as well.... don't exclude air-ride as a choice for your suspension. They will allow much more flexibility while attempting to acheive your goals. Check out those threads on PT.com about the road course challange & see how ART's rides compared vs. static suspended vehicles.
Well I'm using air bags. My point was that if I was looking for an all out road race truck there would probably be a better choice. But truck will be multipurpose, with the pro touring flavor.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:42 PM   #8
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Ive never even heard of Pro Touring before this. Guess Im gonna have to do some googling.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:36 PM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Ive never even heard of Pro Touring before this. Guess Im gonna have to do some googling.
It was originally 'loosely' based on vehicles that were similar in heritage to the early/mid 60's 'Trans-Am' type factory race cars. High winding motors, manual transmissions, better steering/suspension/brakes, w/a bunch of rubber stuffed in the wheel wells.

There are some guys that pop a set of wheels/tires on a lowered 69 camaro & call it a pro-touring car.... but, it's just a Camaro w/some wheels/tires.

It's upgrading all aspects of the vehicle (car or truck). Key the build toward 'ultimate' drivability; that's what it should be about. A better motor (doesn't have to be a race engine, just a strong engine), OD trans (auto or manual), optimized suspension, brakes, interior that's built for miles of use, etc.... etc....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 06-27-2007, 11:00 PM   #10
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Scoti gave you a great description, but forgot to mention the origin of the term. A few years back the car magazines decided enough is enough with the Pro Street look. It had escalated to a level that most cars were nothing more than thinly disguised race cars.

They decided to try to turn the trend to cars that were totally functional. The idea was to encourage people to build cars that could go fast, stop fast, and fly around a curve while riding in the comfort of a/c.

They would be reliable enough to jump in and drive across the country with ease. To promote this concept they decide to have an event that would entice people to build cars and make a road trip with them, and the Hot Rod "Power Tour" was born.

The Hot Rod Magazine editor coined the term "Pro Touring" from a combination of "Pro Street" and "Power Touring".....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 06-27-2007 at 11:01 PM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:17 PM   #11
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post

The Hot Rod Magazine editor coined the term "Pro Touring" from a combination of "Pro Street" and "Power Touring".....
It was during a bench racing session between Jeff Smith & Mark Steilow.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 06-28-2007, 12:34 AM   #12
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
It was during a bench racing session between Jeff Smith & Mark Steilow.
You are correct. I knew it was Jeff Smith, but forgot that it was Mark Steilow that he was talking with.

Just so y'all know Mark is the king of Pro Touring Camaros-Detroit Speed

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:40 AM   #13
CG
BlahBlahBlah

The Power Tour I have heard of. I actually stopped buying Hot Rod Mag when they first started promoting it. To me the whole mag turned into a giant advertisement for the Power Tour. Ive noticed the tour has become very popular and thats cool, but I also noticed every article in Hot Rod has stopped trying to figure a way to mention the tour...Was almost as bad as the van phase they went through. (IMO)

Anyway I like the sound of a ProTourning ride. Personally I'm more into the 60s style build up without all the big bling wheels and fat tires, but I bet a good ProTouring ride would be a blast to take a cross country trip in.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:59 AM   #14
Ackattack

Yeah, I went on PowerTour back in 2002....but the truck was not running reliably so I had to take my "backup"...a 2001 Firebird Formula. Even got a little 1"x1" photo of it in the mag!
Old 06-30-2007, 10:57 AM   #15
Ackattack

Well I picked up an engine and transmission last night.

Got a 98 LS1 with a 4L60E. It came wrapped in a 98 Trans Am. I got the whole car for $4400. There isn't really anything major wrong with the car, but I think I"m going to part it out...taking what I need.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:38 AM   #16
67cst
i love summertime

if you decide to part with the wheels let me know, ill be down in spokane in august for the goodguys show, if you end up selling them maybe i can work something out when im down there. let me know what you think

thanks

GLOVE BOX LIGHTS FORSALE, click link for info

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=273724
67cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:59 AM   #17
Ackattack

Frame off restoration Day 1 is in the books.

I started by building a dolly for the bed, then moved the truck into the garage (good thing my jeep has a winch on it )

Then I got to work removing the bed. That was a piece of cake.

Then I built another dolly for the cab. Removed the front fenders, bumper, core support and some other hangups and it was time to remove the cab.

Then I removed some more things like the exhaust, part of the fuel lines, brake lines. Then I broke out the grinder and started cleaning up the frame just to give me an idea of what its going to take.

I spent about 45 minutes with the grinder and wire wheel and got the back portion, top and sides of the frame done. It seemed to move quickley, but I'm afraid that the inside of the frame rail is going to take way too much time....so I think I'm going to look into getting it sand blasted.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:15 AM   #18
Luvlegs

Take my word for it - I had a whole winter to kill so i did from the cab - back -with a wire wheel, sand paper, scrapers... then laquer thinner - then metal restorer.... then heard it was only a couple hundred to have a rolling frame blasted.... I have no trailer or easy way to transport so it was fine for me but anywhoo.... get it blasted - you'll be WWAAAYYY ahead!

Wear your PPE! You can eat with false teeth but you can't see with a false eye.

1959 Studebaker Silverhawk 350/400
1972 C10 L6 3OTT
2005 F350 - Built - whew!
Luvlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:42 AM   #19
Ackattack

Well after calling several places and getting quoted $300+ for sandblasting the frame I decided to sandblast it myself. I bought a 40lb pressurized sanblaster from harbor freight to do the job. I also got some tarps, and wood to build an enclosure around the frame to help contain the sand.

I'm using some sand (silicate somethingorother). It was $6.xx /100lbs at home depot. I also got a filtered resperator, a hood, and ear muffs.

So this morning I tore down to the bare frame.

And then built a frame around it. I then attached tarps all the way around and over the top. I then installed a flourscent light. I cut a hole in the tarp for the shop vac to maintain a negative pressure while I'm blasting so the air that is going in (from the compressor) doesn't just blow all the sand out through the seams. I also duct taped all of the seams.

So tonight I got to work blasting. In 45 minutes I did 2/3 of the top of the frame and a little on the inside before i ran out of sand (only got one bag).

So hopefully the whole thing will take ~6 hrs to complete.

I thought about taking to the sandblasters but by doing it myself I save a little money, get sandblasting equipment!, and I was able to remove the front and rear suspension to get a more complete job.

Probably won't get much more done this weekend....got 2 days of drag racing to attend to
Old 07-06-2007, 01:33 AM   #20
GREASEMONKEY72

good progress, im always for doing things myself

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 10:00 PM   #21
Ackattack

Today I finally finished up sandblasting the frame. It took longer than I had really expected, and it would have been easier to pay to have it done. Ended up taking 1100 lbs of sand to do! I also blasted the control arms and the engine crossmember and transmission cross member.

I need to roll the axle into the garage and blast it and parts of the front suspension, so just a little more time blasting, then I'll be done with that dirty job.

I think I'm going to have to get a new crossmember where the trailing arms bolt up to. The one I have is cracked on the top, and has some obvious (and poor) repair on the bottom. I could weld and fix it, but I was thinking of using the ECE extreme drop crossmember. Anyone else use this?

I'll be glad to be done with the dirty parts.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:29 AM   #22
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post

I think I'm going to have to get a new crossmember where the trailing arms bolt up to. I was thinking of using the ECE extreme drop crossmember. Anyone else use this?
I have one that I aquired in a parts deal & it seems to be a well made part.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 07-23-2007, 01:13 AM   #23
GREASEMONKEY72

need more pics of the sandblasting

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:36 AM   #24
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREASEMONKEY72 View Post
need more pics of the sandblasting
Sorry, I didn't think it was too interesting, so I haven't taken any pics....I'll get some tonight.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:00 AM   #25
Ackattack

Well I got some pictures of the frame tonight

and here is the crossmember that I'm going to remove because of the large crack in the top of it and the mutilated bottom (someone tried to weld it together) I'm going to go with an ECE extreme drop crossmember.

And then I got the axle stripped down to pretty much the bare housing (diff and gears still inside) I also got the upper and lower a-arms torn apart. I was hoping to get to sandblasting all of this, but one of the ball joints was being a royal PIA and didn't have time.

I took off all the drum brake stuff cause I'm going with LT1 camaro brakes. I ordered the backing brackets already. I'm going to do some powder coating for a guy in trade for his calipers.

I also need to get on ordering some POR-15 so I can start painting the frame and other suspension component.