The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2017, 10:13 AM   #1
special-K
Special Order

Remember My '85 Jimmy Diesel?

Name:  IMG_8993.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  74.4 KB
Name:  IMG_8991.jpg
Size:  77.4 KB
Name:  IMG_9125.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  80.0 KB
Name:  IMG_9129.jpg
Size:  59.7 KB
I sold it 2 years ago to a friend of friends in NH. My '92 work truck gave up the ghost and I needed another work truck. I hated to sell, but it was a practical decision. One of the best vehicles I ever owned, overall. Got it for $2k all original unmolested. Had 8-lug axles, suspension, and tires from my dead '91 Suburban and slapped that on. I envisioned the tan soft top since I first laid eyes on it. I had a GM AM/FM/Cassette (and a ton of tapes) and accessory tan door speaker housings and the '91 steering wheel, as well as tilt column w/cruise. I decided to just buy the rear springs and sell the longer ones, so on the road I had an instant coolass big classic 4wd that got mini-truck mileage for $3,300 that was great on the hiway. I drove it 4 years all over the place and it got attention everywhere it went. I sold it for $5,500, so after all that enjoyment I came out $2k ahead.

This guy commits to buy it and came for it in Sept. I stopped driving it and put the hard top back on for the first time since I bought it for transport purposes. The tires were old and chcked. I told the guy order tires to be shipped to me and I'd mount them and run it on up. I would never drive it up there on those tires. The original plan was my buddy and mutual friend of my NH friends and I were going to haul it up with his Duramax for a visit, but that never happened. So, they flew down and ran it up on lumpy tires ready to fly apart at any time.

There may be some who wouldn't approve of how I took an original survivor to make it how I did. But all I know is I loved it and it seemed most everyone liked it by the constant comments. So, you can't account for other people's taste and they do what they like with what's theirs. Now my Jimmy is his and first thing he planned to do was paint it a two-tone and put Silverado trim on this single headlamp base Jimmy. I had people asking all the time if it was military. This guy obviously didn't get the vibe I had going with it. It was just another K5 to him. Now this year at Carlisle my NH friends were selling the soft top because the guy had no intentions of using it. Go figure. I That hard top was on there for the 5 mile drive home when I bought it. The first time it left my place it was with the soft top. That top turned it into a whole different vehicle, IMO. I went everywhere with sides rolled up unless it was raining. Doeskin Tan paint, Buckskin Tan interior, tan soft top, with minimal touches of black and chrome. My plans were a full cage (had roll bar he didn't want), rear spare mount, fabbed steel bumpers, and winch if I hung onto it.
Anyway, I was really surprisd this guy had no interest in the soft top that IMO made the vehicle. I wish I had sold it to someone I wasn't going to keep getting reports about it from. He has my friends work on it. This guy no only has bad taste but no skills..and he isn't treating it well according to my friends. They're surprised he hasn't cracked it up yet. He likes his alcohol and from what I saw two years ago, doesn't hold it well.

I guess this was a lament post. Sorry, just had to vent. I recall it was well liked here as well and just thought I'd share

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 04-25-2017 at 10:18 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:54 AM   #2
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Re: Remember My '85 Jimmy Diesel?

Tim, remember it well and miss seeing it here. I was hoping you'd bought it back when I saw the thread. Mine will be finished this summer and it's similar to your old truck in the minimalist theme. If they're having trouble selling that top LMK.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:04 PM   #3
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

I remember it too. I liked the way it looked with either top. It was a tough looking rig. I sold a truck to a friend once and have vowed to never do it again. I sympathize with ya Tim, been there and done that.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:33 PM   #4
special-K
Special Order

The top was for sale for $300 and the vinyl still looked new. As usual, I went to the swap meet really broke, but had money to spend by the end. I told Billy don't drop the price, I'd buy it for that price if no one else did (or once I had it). I walked over one time and a guy had it, talking to his friend he thought might want it. He was saying it would have to be dyed or new top made. They needed black. I think that's who ended up buying it. So, even the poor top got violated . $300 for the frame/hardware and a pattern doesn't seem like a good deal. I imagine he'll have the cost of a new one in it by the time he's done. I had no need for it, except to pass it on to someone here.

John, glad to hear it's coming along. I want another. My older son had an '86 military Blazer that I told him I wanted to buy if he got rid of it. He hadn't driven it in a few years. He had the trans rebuilt and it was still shifting on the governor. He doesn't mess with much and never brought it over for me to check out. I wanted him to leave it here for me to go over for him. I found out about a month ago he needed money and sold it to this guy down by where he lives for $800! I have 1t axles, spare 6.2 parts, etc.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 04-26-2017, 02:04 PM   #5
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Wow, hard to believe that top was hard to sell at that price. What are they, around $1200 shipped? I remember you mentioning your sons milblazer now, hate to hear it got out of the fold. I wish you luck finding another one, I enjoyed seeing the tan truck.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:57 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

They are $800-900. I would have had him set it aside as soon as he pulled it out if I knew for sure I'd make the $300 plus some to take home. I wish the guy would decide he doesn't want the whole Jimmy and offered it up for 40% of what he paid me for it

Tim