The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #1
jrdamien

60's 235 into '49 Frame - Crossmembers

Before I start painting I wanted to make sure of a few things. I know one of ya'll know the answer.

The late 50's/early 60's 235's have front, side and rear mounts. I want to use the front mount and rear mount but someone said the rear mount won't be use-able if I use a T5.

Here's the frame:

I removed the 3rd crossmember from the front, the stock transmission member. Can the 235 be mounted on the front member and 2nd, and then I add a dropped crossmember for the newer transmission? Or does that 2nd engine/tranny crossmember need to come out, too? If it does, how does the 235 mount?
jrdamien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
curmudgeon

Re: 60's 235 into '49 Frame - Crossmembers

I believe that if you use the front mounts on the 235, the rear mounts will be on the bellhousing, so you need to mate the newer engine with the older bell of the model year of the frame which should fit on your existing crossmember. '54 and later bell mounts are angled, while the '53 and before are flat. If you have the bell off the orginal 216, this should mate to the 235.

There is debate on whether the lighter T-5 needs a trans mount (I would fab one in anyways), so you are correct on having removed the stock 3rd trans crossmember.

Another alternative is to use the side mounts and fab motor mounts from the frame rails which would let you position the engine/trans in the optimal position. This would be necessary if you converted to a mustang II type suspension to clear the steering rack.
curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:24 AM   #3
jrdamien

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
I believe that if you use the front mounts on the 235, the rear mounts will be on the bellhousing, so you need to mate the newer engine with the older bell of the model year of the frame which should fit on your existing crossmember. '54 and later bell mounts are angled, while the '53 and before are flat. If you have the bell off the orginal 216, this should mate to the 235.

There is debate on whether the lighter T-5 needs a trans mount (I would fab one in anyways), so you are correct on having removed the stock 3rd trans crossmember.

Another alternative is to use the side mounts and fab motor mounts from the frame rails which would let you position the engine/trans in the optimal position. This would be necessary if you converted to a mustang II type suspension to clear the steering rack.
No MII. I'd like to keep the motor mounts front and back to leave the sides open for headers and exhaust and whatever else.

So you're saying use the older 235/216 bellhousing with the newer 235?

Any idea if there's any issue with that older bellhousing and the T5?

I'm not wed to the T5 idea yet (am open to other trans ideas) but either way it seems the stock tran x-member is in the way.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #4
curmudgeon

The applicable t-5, that is, one from a S-10 or camero (not a mustang) should have a bolt pattern that matches the standard Saginaw/Muncie (the holes will need to be slightly enlarged). The other main issue is the longer input shaft needs to be either machined down or a spacer fabbed, and finding a clutch package/disc for the 14t splines.

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/t5tranny.htm
Old 11-13-2013, 03:04 PM   #5
jrdamien

Quote:
The applicable t-5, that is, one from a S-10 or camero (not a mustang) should have a bolt pattern that matches the standard Saginaw/Muncie (the holes will need to be slightly enlarged). The other main issue is the longer input shaft needs to be either machined down or a spacer fabbed, and finding a clutch package/disc for the 14t splines.

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/t5tranny.htm
Yeah I'm just going to buy a spacer so the swap is possible if I'm on the road.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:38 PM   #6
jrdamien

Some people have said the 60's 235 has the same mounts as a small block v8. Anyone know the truth of this? If it is true, could I not just use these in place the stock x-member?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/47-55-CHEVY-...item2327d54e37
Old 11-14-2013, 03:07 PM   #7
curmudgeon

The kit shows 2 crossmembers, the engine one would not be applicable since you plan to be using the front mount under the balancer on the 235. The other one shown is a universal adjustable trans mount which can be placed anywhere along the frame rails to line up with you final T-5 placement.

I am using the sidemounts on 261, but they are modified 230/250 engine mounts, fabbed to brackets on the frame, the V8 pair are for the angled V.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:12 PM   #8
jrdamien

Quote:
The kit shows 2 crossmembers, the engine one would not be applicable since you plan to be using the front mount under the balancer on the 235. The other one shown is a universal adjustable trans mount which can be placed anywhere along the frame rails to line up with you final T-5 placement.

I am using the sidemounts on 261, but they are modified 230/250 engine mounts, fabbed to brackets on the frame, the V8 pair are for the angled V.
I WANT to use the front mount on the 235 but the more I read the more I realize this doesn't work with the mounting bracket of the original 216.

I did realize one was the engine and one the trans member. I was referring to the engine x.

So what mounts/brackets did you use, or did you fab them yourself?
Old 11-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #9
curmudgeon

216 to 235 front mount:

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/engine_swap_216.htm

front mount templates:

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/motormount_235.html
http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/en...ont/index.html

I'm not good at uploading pics, but here's an example of how my inline is positioned with the fabbed mounts:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=369630
Old 11-14-2013, 07:02 PM   #10
mr48chev

Years ago we used to do those swaps all the time and not give it a second thought. It's a whole lot easier if you swap the front motor mount plate over to the later engine before you put it together though. The last one I did we did that when we assembled the 235 on the engine stand.

The adapter for the T-5 is readily available and to me a better option than modifying the input shaft as if you ever blow a trans on a road trip you can swap transmissions and go again where you would be stuck trying to modify a trans to get it to fit. otherwise.

As for as using that "universal" V8 mount with the 235 side mounts I belive you would end up having to do quite a bit of fabricating to get that setup to work. With the right mounts and brackets on the engine it might be "almost" a bolt in but If I remember right it won't be a bolt in. I helped swap a couple of V8's in late 50's Chevy cars that came with 235's in the 70's and think we had to get the V8 mounts that bolted to the crossmember to do it then. Not hard as they were almost one day swaps but we were 40 years younger then too.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #11
jrdamien

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
The adapter for the T-5 is readily available and to me a better option than modifying the input shaft as if you ever blow a trans on a road trip you can swap transmissions and go again where you would be stuck trying to modify a trans to get it to fit. otherwise.
This is my exact reasoning. $150 now or...well a lot more on the road in bumb f**k Colorado.