The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2019, 11:14 PM   #1
Kula57

ignition trouble

I have a 57 chevy 3100
Issue, I turn the key and absolutely nothing happens. It started and ran fine for the last year I owned the truck. It seems to have power at the ignition switch. no click, zero happens. Did this happen to anyone? What was it?

any suggestions

thanks
Kula57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 01:16 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: ignition trouble

Never ASSUME as it will burn your tail feathers every time.

Check the battery to make sure you have a full charge, there may have been something draining it.
Clean the battery cable connections.
Make sure that the top of your battery is clean and dry. dirt/moisture on top lets power drain off.
Check the other end of both battery cables to make sure that the connections are good there

if it is a six did you forget that you have to push the stomp pedal? Sometimes we get used to driving something different and forget that we have to do an extra step or two in one rig.

If that isn't it check all connections in the start circuit to make sure that they are clean and tight.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 01:30 AM   #3
Kula57

Thanks for the reply, It ia a 283cu in. 3 spd on the tree, no foot start. Battery is fully charged. Every thing seems tight but I will check again.

I actually drove the truck the day it died. drove around everything was fine. decided to stop and put gas. when I tried to restart zero. Waited a couple seconds jiggled wires in back of dash and it started. As I drove home, it seemed to cut out a couple times, the lights flickered but then it was all fine till I got home. Decided to move the truck a couple minutes later and that was it nothing.

Felt it was something loose so checked connections at switch, battery etc. seemed fine changed ignition switch still nothing.

thanks
Old 11-24-2019, 01:47 AM   #4
mr48chev

I'd be checking the wires and connections on the back of the switch then. either a loose or corroded connector. Look at the wires to make sure that you don't have one that is bad or a connector that isn't making good contact anymore unless you wiggle it just so.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:06 AM   #5
Kula57

will do
Old 11-24-2019, 12:03 PM   #6
Wrenchbender Ret

Check the wires at the back of the ammeter. They are known to get burned. All the current goes it before anything else.
George
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 08:30 PM   #7
Kula57

Is there a trick to removing the instrument panel/Bezel? I think the ammeter may be at least part of the problem.

I tried taking the 3 bezel screws off and pull the bezel of but it seems to hitting somethings as if there is a lip not allowing the bezel or instrument panel to come out.

any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Old 12-29-2019, 08:44 PM   #8
mr48chev

We will have to wake up the TF brigade for that answer. I never had to take the one out of the 57 panel I had in the 70's.

Old 12-30-2019, 02:27 AM   #9
Kula57

hope so thanks
Old 12-30-2019, 03:18 AM   #10
dsraven

cluster removal should be the screws, the speedo cable, the wiring, the oil pressure gauge tube and the temp gauge sender bulb in the engine, if equipped. after that try slipping a piece of thin flat plastic or something similar between the top of the cluster and the dash metal. if you don't worry about scratches etc a flat blade screwdriver can also do the trick or possibly a small piece of sheet metal. it helps keep the cluster from dragging and sticking on the way out. since the parts are metal there could be some rust etc "helping" to keep the cluster in the dash so a bit of assistance may be required. undo the screws and wiggle things around some first, then push down on the cluster as you pull the top out while using the plastic or sheet metal skid sheets to keep things from binding. if all else fails post up some pics or a video. make sure to undo the other stuff attached to the cluster FIRST though. disconnect the battery as well, just to be safe and not end up with a dash fire from a short. not that great of circuit protection in these old trucks if it is stock.
if you stick your head behind the cluster from underneath you may be able to see if the wiring is loose on the ignition switch or something. possibly the stock ammeter since the power goes through that first. an inspection mirror may be your friend or if you can get your phone up there take a pic or 2 and then look at the pics and see if there are any obvious problem areas.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:16 AM   #11
Kula57

Thanks everyone, it was the ammeter at the end of the day. this site is great aloha