The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2018, 09:49 PM   #1
stanski

75 Jimmy Doors hard to close.

Working on my doors, they really need a hard slamming to close. I've already done the hinges and installed new strikers but still the same. The door, fender and hood gaps are all dialed in so moving stuff around is not an option. I removed the striker and as you close the door you can see the seal along the A post (front of door) causes the door to bind, remove the seal door closes without binding. I looked closely at the door to seal contact at the hinge post while slowly closing and the door doesn't really close to flatten the hollow rubber but is actually pushing the seal forward whereas the bottom and rear of the door flattens the seal as it closes. This bind at the front is causing the resistance, just like trying to close a door with a rag in there.
I hammered the pinch weld inward a bit, but doesn't change anything. My seals are probably still originals, so I'm wondering if new, softer seals would help? My seals are in good condition but seem a bit hard when you try to compress them in the direction they are compressed by the door at the hinge post.
Any other suggestions?
stanski is offline   Reply With Quote