The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 60-66 Suburbans

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-16-2017, 10:55 PM   #1
slapstick1979

Back window hinges

I haven't been on here in a while my name is Scott I live in Coeur d'Alene Idaho. my dad has a 60 through 66 carryall.he was telling me he can't find the back door hinges that hold the back top window open open that have the stoppers in them. I would like to be able to find a pair to get him for Father's Day and surprise him. if anybody knows where I can find a pair of those please let me know. it would mean a lot to my dad. Thank you. any help appreciated.
slapstick1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:13 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Back window hinges

You must be the guy that stopped and asked me about those this morning. If you don't find an original set, you may have to convert to gas shocks.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:35 AM   #3
bpmcgee

Slap,

It sounds like you mean the upper clamshell supports? Those are very hard to find. Be prepared to pay a pretty penny if you can find a set.

I would contact member "66 Burban" he has a lot of suburbans and hard-to-find-parts go through his hands.
bpmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:37 AM   #4
slapstick1979

on using the gas shocks.that sounds like a great idea.has anyone used those for a replacement already.and have a part number.my problem is the carry all is down in California so I have no way to measure the distance I would need.thanks
slapstick1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:27 PM   #5
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapstick1979 View Post
I haven't been on here in a while my name is Scott I live in Coeur d'Alene Idaho. my dad has a 60 through 66 carryall.he was telling me he can't find the back door hinges that hold the back top window open open that have the stoppers in them. I would like to be able to find a pair to get him for Father's Day and surprise him. if anybody knows where I can find a pair of those please let me know. it would mean a lot to my dad. Thank you. any help appreciated.
you can check ebay. I did get a NOS set for under a $100.00
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:41 AM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Here is some info, plus more details on page 8.

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...=504141&page=6

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapstick1979 View Post
on using the gas shocks.that sounds like a great idea.has anyone used those for a replacement already.and have a part number.my problem is the carry all is down in California so I have no way to measure the distance I would need.thanks
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:47 PM   #7
65chevysub

Check with Desert Valley Auto Parts in Phoenix. Last time I looked online he had an old Yellow 66 Sub with the clamshell. That was about a month ago.
www.dvap.com
65chevysub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:23 PM   #8
craigsuburban

I found the gas shocks that work on the 68 to 72 suburbans wont work, the shock itself will bind because the shock is a little to thick in diameter for the space between the body and gate. I read somewhere that 57 Chevy wagon lift-gate supports will work but don't lift it as high. I just installed a set of the 57's on mine, only requires one hole to be drilled and a rivnut installed (the rivnut hole will be covered by the originals if you find a set.) The gate side bolts right on but use the lower original mounting hole on the jamb and you will need a new hole between since the 57 mount is a little smaller on the jamb side. Mine is a k-10 so it is high enough for me until I find a set, if I ever find a set. If you run across two sets please let me know so I can buy one from you. You may also want to take a closer look at Lokar hood support rods. I didn't get far enough in my investigation but it looks like they will work
craigsuburban is offline   Reply With Quote