The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2004, 06:57 PM   #1
buckola
1 Wrench / 10 Knuckles

Header Install ?

I'm about to install Hedman long tube headers. How high will I have to jack the truck up to slide them in? I have a gravel drive so I get a little queesy crawling under it even on jack stands Other than the obvious are there any items to remove to make the job go smoother and what sh*t storms can I expect during the procedure.

thank
steve

2006 Dodge Charger SRT8. 1/4 mile 13.3

1973 Z1 900 Kawasaki ( all original)
buckola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 07:22 PM   #2
bhobbs

I just installed Hooker's on my truck last week. If you're on a gravel drive, the investment in a set of ramps would be advised, and I'd put boards under those, just to be sure. This gets the truck 10-12 inches further off the ground with stock suspension/wheels/tires. I can just BARELY crawl underneath the truck when its on the ground, but I certainly couldn't work on it. I had no ground clearance problems with this much height, but if your headers are longer, it might get tight. Mine stop at about the support that goes to the tranny, so they're not shorties, but they don't go past the auto shifter linkage either.

I took the starter off for the RHS headers, that made it much easier to slide up there. Manuals seem to call for removing the oil filter on the other side. I didn't need to on mine though. I really recommend leaving the headers loose(one bolt only in the front so it'll pivot a long ways), before reinstalling the starter. It was a serious pain for me to wriggle it back in there since it's so heavy, and you're on your back. Some glasses are recommended to keep the inevitable kruft out of your eyes.

You may have steering and/or shifter linkage clearance issues with the new headers, so some adjustment of those items may or may not be necessary, depending on the years/tranny combos.

Hope that helps.

Barry
bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 07:43 AM   #3
buckola
1 Wrench / 10 Knuckles

Thanks Barry, good advice !

I think the Hedmans may be longer, I'll find out soon enuff if I have clearance issues.

thanks again

steve

Old 06-30-2004, 11:57 AM   #4
68jimmy

I just finished up installing a new 350 in my 68 gmc and I'm using the Hedmans that have that strange bulb like collector... I did not have to raise the truck any but it was easier to remove the starter. One thing I didn't notice until it was all installed and running was that one tube on each side is in contact with the frame. I made a mark on each side with a marker and this weekedn I will be removing the headers to grind out a notch on each side.

good luck!

68jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 04:43 PM   #5
buckola
1 Wrench / 10 Knuckles

68jimmy,
What headers are those? Mine are the HTC coated uneqaul length long tubes. I am surprised about all the differant comments on header fitment. Some say they went on easy and had no contact issues and others have nothing but headaches ...strange

Old 06-30-2004, 11:05 PM   #6
68jimmy

They were the entry level model... I picked them up at one of the local speed shops for about $135. They have the black paint/plastic coating.
68jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 05:37 PM   #7
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

I put in hookers and went in from the top. Only had to move the alt. Didn't have any problems at all. I don't have a/c by the way.
toddtheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 05:39 PM   #8
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Oh by the way, if you've never heard it before. Fire it up open headers and get on the highway at WOT with the windows down. It will be an experience that you will never forget.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:28 PM   #9
70c10
67-72 Addict!

buckola, do you have a part number for those and are you happy with them?

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 08:34 PM   #10
buckola
1 Wrench / 10 Knuckles

70c10.
The Part # Is 69096. I Just Got The Driver Side In Tonite. Only Had To Remove The Oil Filter. I Hope The Passenger Side Goes In As Smooth. I'll Post Whether I Like Them Or Not At A Later Date.

Toddtheodd...i Like Your Style Man

Old 07-02-2004, 10:35 AM   #11
bhobbs

Yeah, toddtheodd is mucho correcto. Run it open headers, at least for a bit. I started mine in my garage(both doors open) at about 11:45 the other night, without thinking about exactly how loud open headers are I decided immediately to not put the rest of the exhaust on until I had it appropriately running. Did I mention that I don't like my neighbors? I used to be indifferent and appropriately quiet wrt my neighbors, but ever since one of them set the city on me(no HOA in my neighborhood btw) and complained that my truck was a "Public Nuisance", despite being IN MY DRIVEWAY with a custom-fit cover over it, I'm feeling less inclined to care about it. Wait 'til they realize I can LEAVE it like that since it's getting registered as an antique vehicle(no inspection required). If they're gonna label me a public nuisance, I WILL live down to their label, and have fun while doing it. Now where's the number for the guy that builds reverse megaphone mufflers for my Ducati...

Barry
bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 04:20 PM   #12
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

When I put on my headers I did it after dinner, and didn't finish until about 8 or 9 at night. I live in an apartment by the way. So anyway, I started it up right after I finished and it sounded good, loud, but good. Didn't sound too loud though. I had to leave for work at 4:30 the next morning, and I planned on just driving it that day and getting the pipes after work. Well, 4:30 in the morning I started it up and let it "idle" out of the apartment complex. No problem. Not too much louder at idle than my exhaust is now . I let it idle all the way down the street to the stop sign. Well, now I had to give it some gas. HOLY SH** was that LOUD! I couldn't believe how loud it was. I was almost a block away from the apartments, and it was at that stop sign that I set off the car alarms at the apartment. I drove it to work (on the highway) trying to hide in my seat because I just KNEW that every cop in a mile was looking for me.
When I got to work I set off every car alarm in the parking lot and had the security guard come running into the lot to see what was going on.
Afterwork was when the fun began . It was daytime, so the hiding was over. I came out of the parking lot WOT with tires smoking . Got on the highway at WOT and left it at WOT until it hit 90mph. Then... ... I hit rushhour stop and go traffic. And I was stuck next to.... a convertable with it's top down. Stop... WOT... Stop... WOT... . Wow was everybody mad. But I sure did love it.
I've been wanting to put those electric cutouts on my truck so that at a flip of the switch I would be able to relive that day.
Old 07-03-2004, 07:05 AM   #13
buckola
1 Wrench / 10 Knuckles

Finished with the passenger side. Came in from the top. I had to remove the valve cover ( tall ones) and grind the frame in a couple of spaces. Other than that...they fit pretty well... and of course went for a ride with the open headers....love thats sound