The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2009, 03:59 AM   #1
darkpino

Oval drum brakes

Hi guys here i am again.
I have a strange problem with my drum brake.
When i bought it my handbrake got stuck one time, i felt it on the highway (it was a bit bumping, shaking?)
So i stopped to look what was wrong, felt the rearwheels and felt it was a bit warm so i got them loose again and drove home again.
No problem.

But i thought i would be better to renew the brakeshoes atleast to be sure, they were getting a bit soft and it doesn't cost a lot of money...
After that the trouble began.
My right rear brake was really stuck but i had to get home anyway so (it wasn't a long drive, like 15 minutes or so just driving an average of 20 mph i guess) and it was really hot after that!
I got the drum right after that off, and i still have a small burn wound on my hand :P
Anyway my drum after that turned like oval? everytime i braked it felt bumpy and sometimes when you just drove it on the highway it also kind of got stuck a little.
It wasn't really hard but after the drive if you felt at the wheel it was a bit warm (not really just a little bit...)

I got my drum refreshed by a benchworker and it was really great... for 2 weeks.
Friday it started again and now my drum is all oval again and bumpy and stuff.
I'm really scared it will tear my rear end all apart, or my car :P
So actually do you guys have any experience with this kind of stuff? i have the car like 7 or 8 months now and i always had problems with my right rear brake.
My brakecylinder was leaking so i installed a new one.
After that new brakeshoes but somehow it won't work...
I only haven't renewed the drum, but it is been done by a bench worker so i guess that should be enough...? i'm really getting tired of it right now
darkpino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:16 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Oval drum brakes

The benchworker must have not gotten them turned down to round.Maybe he was running out of material,going below the minimum safe thickness.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:08 AM   #3
darkpino

But how come it does the exact same thing again now?
i mean it was good for 2 weeks? shouldn't be done the same right after the was redone?
Old 01-05-2009, 10:24 PM   #4
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I may have read this wrong, but did you replace the shoes, then have a problem, then grind/turn the drums? If you did not replace your shoes again after the drum was turned, then yes the shoes are already worn in with the out-of-round condition and may be good for a short while but will then start acting up again.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!

Last edited by Palf70Step; 01-05-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:14 AM   #5
darkpino

No you have read that right :P
But the problem is not that the drum turned oval after 2 weeks.
The drum started running against the brakeshoes again after 2 weeks and because of that it turned oval again (i guess that's normal if drums get wayyyy too hot? sounds normal to me...)
So what made the shoes run again the drum again? i have ordered a new drum yesterday which should be here today.
But don't want to mess up the new drum because of something else...
Thanks for the help guys!
Old 01-07-2009, 03:27 AM   #6
cparman
sharp as a marble

check to see if the emergency brake cable going to the right rear wheel is free. If the emergency brake cable is frozen or stiff, and you apply the emergency brake even thought you release the E brake inside the cab of the truck, the cable still has the brake applied at the wheel.
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote