The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2010, 02:55 AM   #1
wayfastwhitey
right below above average joe

tranny problems

anyone here have problems with their 4l80? my cousin is on his second rebuild. first rebuild was done by the dealer at something like 40k. this time at 123k he got it beefed up with hardened gears, stronger bands and a shift kit. truck in question is an 08 ccsb

i flush the of weakness with mushroom clouds at hand

'95 short bed x cab c1500...
just another old truck someone else beat up, abused, hacked and didnt respect... my turn to turn it into a beat up old truck into a beat up and reliable pleasure to drive...

them- "when you gonna put an exhaust on that thing?"

me- "what do you mean? The exhaust comes all the way to the bumber and sounds great!"

them- "straight pipes isnt an exhaust man..."

me- "meh... who needs a fancy muffler when you've got straight pipes? its got a cat, doesnt resonate, and I like how it sounds, and to be perfectly honest, it makes me behave myself when I'm out and about!"

^^^ favorite conversation about my truck to date
wayfastwhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
clinebarger

Re: tranny problems

4L80Es are very durable transmissions, but not indestructable. Are you sure it has a 4L80E & not a 4L60E? You did not mention if its a 2500 or a 1500.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:06 PM   #3
wayfastwhitey

you know, it may be the 60. it's a 1500 ccsb tx edition with the tow package, actually , now that i think about it i think it's the 60

just another old truck someone else beat up, abused, hacked and didnt respect... my turn to turn it into a beat up old truck into a beat up and reliable pleasure to drive...

me- "what do you mean? The exhaust comes all the way to the bumber and sounds great!"

me- "meh... who needs a fancy muffler when you've got straight pipes? its got a cat, doesnt resonate, and I like how it sounds, and to be perfectly honest, it makes me behave myself when I'm out and about!"

Old 05-24-2010, 01:22 PM   #4
clinebarger

The #1 killer of a 4L60E is low fluid level, followed by overloading, Then theres the hotrodder with a lead foot. Does your cousin fall in to one or more of these categories?

Last edited by clinebarger; 05-24-2010 at 01:23 PM.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:32 PM   #5
wayfastwhitey

trans never sees more than 200 degrees. trans is always full, and i would have to say that he does have a heavy foot, but doesn't hot rod all the time. here and there he will, i know he doesn't ever use cruise and cant seem to hold his speed. when you ride with him he gets pretty bad about being in and out of the gas some, especially if he is on the phone. i would imagine as well that with about a third to half of the miles on his truck have had a loaded trailer behind it, it could be the reason too. this time i made him get some goodies for his trans, he's now got a shift kit, hardened gears and wider bands. i'm unsure of the brand of the kit, but i'm friends with the tranny guy so he rebuilt it for 1420 no tax