The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2016, 10:31 AM   #26
tommys72

Re: Anyone on a diet?

i dont diet at all, but i did quit drinking. That helped my blood pressure. I was on b.p. medicine at 27 years old from drinking...damn Marine Corps lifestyle didnt help that. Im 6' and weigh about 180 right now. Was at 195 in my drinking years, but still running and excersing in the military.

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:46 AM   #27
In The Ten Ring

The first time I did Atkin's I had a bad case of "Atkin's Flu" which is a general sense of being tired and a slight but never-ending headache. Those are symptoms of "ketosis" which is the body being forced to metabolize fat in order to live since there is very little carb intake.

Oddly though, this time I do not have it, although I am eating more salad than recommended. *Had loose stools the first time, trying to avoid that now, and it's working so far.

No need to be hungry, if one can afford it. Just eat more meat. Better to eat fish or chicken since red meat is linked to heart disease. Meat takes longer to digest so the body feels full longer and hunger is staved off. Hunger pains = stomach acid and stomach acid without something to dissolve = ulcers. Drinking lots of water helps, 8 glasses a day is the recommended intake. As long as it's enough water that urine is clear and not yellow. Not enough water on Atkin's can damage one's kidneys due to all the salt meat has.

The Mediterranean Diet is the result of a long study, many years in fact. The people living around that sea live longer and healthier lives. I noticed the P90X diet has many similarities with it. Once I get this weight off and can get back onto P90X, I want to stick with that diet. Wish me luck! I wussed out last time once I got to 1 armed pushups.

*Also I was running out of money buying dumbbells! Most places don't carry units 45 pounds or more, and I had to special order that and more...and all my favorite tee shirts stopped fitting. I thought maybe they had shrunk in the washer....no it was all the pushups and presses!

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; 08-24-2016 at 11:53 AM.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:22 PM   #28
dmartin1

i hover around 203-209 5'10

I am not on a real diet but i do try and watch what i eat.
I go to the gym 4 days a week and do heavy lifting at a fast pace so it burns most anything.
BUT the soda and beer will still develop a belly no matter how much exercise or weight lifting i do.

that stuff is bad news.
I have a bad habit of beer and burritos.

So i limit myself to the weekends for a few beers to treat myself and i do alright, keeps the belly off.

Never been on a real diet though.
1978 k20 Silverado loaded.currently engine-less
1989 k10 suburban 9" lift
65 nova
And more
dmartin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:39 PM   #29
A1971Blazer

I'm on 3 diets.....I just can't get enough to eat on one..
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:01 PM   #30
69moneypit
Divorced .....WITH KIDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
The first time I did Atkin's I had a bad case of "Atkin's Flu" which is a general sense of being tired and a slight but never-ending headache. Those are symptoms of "ketosis" which is the body being forced to metabolize fat in order to live since there is very little carb intake.

Oddly though, this time I do not have it, although I am eating more salad than recommended. *Had loose stools the first time, trying to avoid that now, and it's working so far.

No need to be hungry, if one can afford it. Just eat more meat. Better to eat fish or chicken since red meat is linked to heart disease. Meat takes longer to digest so the body feels full longer and hunger is staved off. Hunger pains = stomach acid and stomach acid without something to dissolve = ulcers. Drinking lots of water helps, 8 glasses a day is the recommended intake. As long as it's enough water that urine is clear and not yellow. Not enough water on Atkin's can damage one's kidneys due to all the salt meat has.

The Mediterranean Diet is the result of a long study, many years in fact. The people living around that sea live longer and healthier lives. I noticed the P90X diet has many similarities with it. Once I get this weight off and can get back onto P90X, I want to stick with that diet. Wish me luck! I wussed out last time once I got to 1 armed pushups.

*Also I was running out of money buying dumbbells! Most places don't carry units 45 pounds or more, and I had to special order that and more...and all my favorite tee shirts stopped fitting. I thought maybe they had shrunk in the washer....no it was all the pushups and presses!
When you did the Atkins did you buy the book , follows online directions or etc. Basically how did you do it?
2005 Nissan Armada (wife's idea)
69moneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:57 AM   #31
special-K
Special Order

I guess I never said, but I've never been "on a diet", same as some others here. My mom brought us up eating healthy and teaching us what is important in our diets, as well as what's bad. I've always believed our health is our greatest wealth. There's so much to do out there and I want to keep doing it. So, I've always just paid attention, to one degree or another, to how I eat. Oh, I've been bad. Not only been overweight, but even "at weight" (who say's?), but not mindful of sodium, fat and cholesterol at all. And, I never salt anything. Lot's of trim people drop dead from heart attacks, for sure. As the list grew of all the things we aren't supposed to eat, but what you grew up on (and generations prior), I went along with some and hard headed on others. If you pay attention to all you eat, you will come up with a balanced diet that is all yours, not anybody's else, from health benefits to tastiness.

When Adkins was all you heard about, I got hip to the carb thing. I never read anything about the Adkins Diet, other than tabloid covers , but I sure heard a lot. I started eating a can of Albacore in water (oil or barely any mayo after 1st week... kinda dry) with Tony Trechera's/cajun, Old Bay, or whatever seasoning for lunch and started watching carbs in general. I already watched sugar and ate whole grains, at least. I lost weight right off. I think I lost 25-30# in a couple few weeks. I got down to 155#!! I didn't like it! So I went back up to 160 +/- (mostly + ) I feel fine at 59 (+ 2 yrs)

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 08-25-2016 at 11:03 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:55 AM   #32
cdowns

i think generally diets are a waste of time lose 20lbs really quickly then gain 30 in the next time you weigh yourself
me about 30years ago I was at 215-220lbs then I quit drinking and seriously started watching what I ate and exerciseing got myself down to the 165-170 range where I've been for over 25years and rarely get outside of that range by a copuple of pounds at most
\limit myself with sugars and carbs try for little to no processed foods always have freash salads wiith local fruits and vegtables and nujts too eat lots of seafood mostly and rarely have red meats maybe once aweek at most that and itry to walk 4-5miles a day if possible and feel good wth great results on my blood tests every month so good in fact that I get asked to talk at the local dialys center for motivation and to show them that there is no need to give upeven with a bad disease and limitations on your body
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:29 AM   #33
90\87Formula

I'm on a "low fat diet".
I just got out of the hospital; being treated for "acute pancreatitis".
Old 08-26-2016, 10:02 AM   #34
In The Ten Ring

cdowns,

You are right, diets are a bad way to go and are often followed by even more weight gain, when old habits return. In my case though, I need this weight off in a bit of a hurry. I hope to be skiing in Vermont again this winter and if I can just drop the weight that will go a lot better! Congrats to you on your long term healthy lifestyle success!

I've found staying busy all day doing something keeps me from snacking. Come night I'm too tired to stay up and snack so that's solved too.

90/87Formula,

Are you going to be OK?

The last two days I was going all day, dawn to nearly midnight. Today I think I can slip over to the gym. Ride the bike for as long as I can take it, then over to the treadmill for an equal amount of time. Finish that up with the treadmill going as fast as it can for at least 5 minutes. I want to work back up to 45 minutes on each at a good pace, finishing with 10 to 15 minutes all out running.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:09 AM   #35
GSTAuthor

I am a lurker, but am now a new member, and I actually design training and nutrition programs full time for a living.

There are ALOT of nutritional myths out there that people fall for every day. I've seen multiple mentioned in this thread already, but am not the type to call someone out for the fun of it.

I'm up for answering any questions anyone might have!
GSTAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:20 AM   #36
In The Ten Ring

Call me out if you want, I've been called out before! During grad school in Health Promotion, I wrinkled a lot of noses and lowered a lot of eyebrows with my Atkin's Diet support.

It is true though that the internet brings out a lot of people's "inner snowflake" and you never can tell when someone is going to blow a gasket.

So what's this only commenting over dieting? Come on man, tell us about your truck! *Just not in this thread.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:31 AM   #37
GSTAuthor

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
Call me out if you want, I've been called out before! During grad school in Health Promotion, I wrinkled a lot of noses and lowered a lot of eyebrows with my Atkin's Diet support.

It is true though that the internet brings out a lot of people's "inner snowflake" and you never can tell when someone is going to blow a gasket.

So what's this only commenting over dieting? Come on man, tell us about your truck! *Just not in this thread.
Hey,

A big issue is definitely everyone thinking they are a 'special snowflake' and their body works differently than everyone else........which is ridiculous. Sure, we have our little genetic differences, but when it comes to how to store and burn energy, we're not different.

I'll just say that Atkins uses the unnecessary restriction of carbs as it's 'special sauce.' Carbs can be kept in the diet on a daily basis while a person gets ripped to the bone. As an anecdotal example, if someone stepping on a stage as a winning bodybuilder can consume 100s of grams of carbs per day, it's obvious. I'm not just about anecdotal though, the science is there to support my thoughts too.

As far as my truck, here is my post from the welcome forum:

Hey everyone,

My name is Ryan and I'm a new owner of a 1966 C20 with the 283 4.6L paired with a 3 speed + granny gear.

I bought the truck locally, really knowing nothing about it, or classic trucks in general, so I'm enjoying reading through this forum and also problem-solving the little things that have needed fixing on the truck. So far these are things I've fixed up on my own:

Removed big clunky trailer hitch
Rewired and grounded parking lights, blinkers front and back, and brake lights (none of these worked)
New blinker switch
Rewired the alternator (it wasn't wired to the battery at all)
Replaced rear wheel cylinder (brakes 100% failed a week after I bought it)
Installed true dual exhaust (straight pipes to glass packs)
New battery
Repainted rear bumper

So I think that's it. The truck has really been one of those experiences that has had pros and cons from the first week of buying it, being that many little projects seem to keep coming up, but at the same time, those projects are giving me a hobby and educating me on the truck and vehicles in general. Gotta start somewhere!

Of course, I love driving the truck and all the feelings it conjures up compared to our 2014 family vehicle. Something about needing to cruise slower, not having a clock, not having a radio, and really needing to pay attention to how the engine sounds for the shift points makes it an actual experience to drive, not just a mindless ride from point A to point B.

So I'll leave it there and I'll be asking a question in the right forum next! I've got one already.

Thanks for your help so far, as I've learned alot through lurking, but want to start being an active member.

Ryan
Old 08-26-2016, 10:48 AM   #38
In The Ten Ring

Nothing I haven't heard before brother! My old doctor's head nurse was completely opposed to my starting Atkins, even claiming Dr. Atkins himself died of a heart attack.

Well, a few months later she died of a heart attack. The doc decided to retire early and I had to find a new doc.

In her case though, she was very obese and smoked like a freight train.

Cool deal on your truck man, sometimes you just have to jump in with both feet, even though it might be hard to get back out again! Just get ready to break out your wallet and dig deep......I've already spent a couple grand on my truck and she's still not mobile.

Atkins worked wonders for me back in 2012 and I know it worked great for a friend too. I'll stick with it. Goal is 30 pounds off by November!
Old 08-27-2016, 06:19 AM   #39
special-K
Special Order

Cutting carbs bigtime will aid in a more rapid weight loss. Then, well managed carb intake can be reintroduced while maintaining desired weight range. I also cut out the "chips or fries with that" and did without the cheese on sandwiches. I went from the can o' tuna lunch to multi-grain bread, roasted turkey breast, white cheddar, 1/4 avocado, lettuce, spicy mayo sandwich once weight was where I wanted. Then I started doing whole wheat tortilla wraps. That little fist full of food hits the spot around noon and carries me through till I make supper. If you want your fiber in the morning, why not eat oatmeal and help control your cholesterol? I check my blood pressure at the Safeway and saw almost instant results (dropped within a few days) when I went with my oatmeal regiment. I put a teaspoon of cinnamon in, no sugar, blueberries and peach slices, and various other fruit or berries on. For supper I hardly ever ever eat fried food and prepare from scratch with fresh meats, vegetables, etc. The problem with carbs, especially bleached white flour, is it metabolizes into sugar. Not to mention the wheat germ has been eliminated rendering it about useless for nutrition or fiber benefits. You can't beat a 'mater sammich with mayo on white bread with black pepper and lettice. It ain't gonna kill ya to have one or two a summer.

No matter what way you go, what makes you lose weight and keep it off is your dedication and discipline. All these new years resolutions are bull crap. The day you decide to go on a diet, go on a diet. You can announce how well you are doing with it at the new years party and resolve to keep it up! Your diet is all about you.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:08 AM   #40
Bigdav160

My opinion. Some carbs are better than others and some fats are better than others, Carbs can be stored as fat and fat can be turned into carbs to burn. Protein is needed to keep the bodies tissues healthy...all that said a calorie is a calorie. If you expend more energy then you take in you should lose weight and vice versa. Physical exertion from exercise or hard work can help increase the use of calories even when resting (metabolic rate).

In this country, too many people do no physical exertion except walking to the refrigerator and back.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 11:19 AM   #41
flashed

I am not on a diet but am trying to lose some extra pounds .I walk from 5 to 9 miles daily and eat healthy small meals but the weight is staying with me for now .I hope to get back on the treadmill and riding my bike soon to see if that will help .I have been told I dont eat enough but that makes no sense to me .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 01:25 PM   #42
In The Ten Ring

Good points Special-K.

Flashed, have you tried jogging or biking over walking? The national health recommendation is 30 minutes a day of sweating. Get that heart rate up until you sweat and build that up to 30 minutes each day.

When I did Atkin's in 2012, I started out riding the exercise bike for only 10 minutes at a time! I knew that a slow build up would be easy and keep me from a burnout. I eventually worked up to 1.5 hours each day of sweating exercise. That coupled with cutting out the carbs to something like 20 grams a day (an Atkins requirement) and so many glasses of water a day (at least 8 glasses) my pee was never yellow.

If you are exercising hard enough and not eating the carbs, the body simply must metabolize the fat. I would think so anyway. Perhaps the nutritionist guy will weigh in on that. GST Author, what do you think about the above sentence?
Old 08-27-2016, 04:58 PM   #43
GSTAuthor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
I am not on a diet but am trying to lose some extra pounds .I walk from 5 to 9 miles daily and eat healthy small meals but the weight is staying with me for now .I hope to get back on the treadmill and riding my bike soon to see if that will help .I have been told I dont eat enough but that makes no sense to me .
Flashed,

Here's a key question; are you tracking calories daily or are you just estimating how much you're eating? The thing is, if human bodies were able to maintain weight while not eating enough, starvation wouldn't exist. Try telling a homeless guy he'll be fine and won't waste away because 'he's not eating enough.' It's an easy claim to make, but baseless as well.

Overall, if you aren't tracking your total daily calorie intake, you need to start. Once you have a handle on what you consume daily and know that you aren't losing weight from it, the next step is a proper calorie reduction (I like to move clients up or down by 5-10% increments).

Let me know your answer to my question above!
Old 08-27-2016, 09:59 PM   #44
In The Ten Ring

Whatever you do flashed BE CAREFUL with that first day of Atkin's! If you are following the diet to the letter.....look out! Day 1 I was fine, nothing untoward. Day 2 I craved bread all day, it's all I thought about. Day 3 I had an "accident." A fart wasn't a "fart." Good thing I was home and not out somewhere!

GSTAuthor might be on to something with the carb diary. It'd be an easy way to see exactly what's going in.

Well I am down 5 pounds and my pants are literally falling off of me. I like to lose my belt and belt-mounted flashlight and ammo pouch whenever I put on my coveralls. Now my coveralls are pretty loose, made for a taller and wider man.....but when I came out from under my truck today and took my coveralls off, my shorts came with them! Even with the button fastened and the zipper zipped up, off they came too! So Atkin's is working. 20 pounds to go!
Old 08-27-2016, 10:03 PM   #45
davischevy

I've lost five pounds just since we started taking about it. All I have done is cut the biscuits and gravy (carbs), beer (carbs) and ice cream (carbs). Of course I started watching portions too. I don't go hungry, I have a can of nuts handy if I get hungry. I don't eat on a schedule, I just eat sensibly when I get hungry. It's actually kind of nice to eat when I'm hungry, instead because it's time.

I cheated tonight. when I finished my stir fry, the wife says "there is strawberry cheesecake in the refrigerator". I didn't want to hurt her feelings after she went to all that trouble, so I had a piece.

other Larry

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:10 PM   #46
In The Ten Ring

Oh boy, strawberry cheesecake would be hard to resist! And no sir, it's not good to insult a great wife, which it sounds like yours is.

Congrats on the weight loss.

I had a breakdown last night too. Several Oreo cookies and a bottle of pop. I was over at my parents' house and just saw those. See at my house, I don't buy any sweets so I don't get tempted. No pop in the entire place, not one single bit of candy. Now I've been good today though.

That pop affected me, I was up all night!
Old 08-27-2016, 10:12 PM   #47
davischevy

I don't know if this is the place, but somebody mentioned a homeless guys diet.

Late last winter, a homeless guy set up camp under the awning, on the back dock of an old commercial laundry a block off the town square.

He was there for a couple of weeks, and we had a cold spell. somebody posted on facebook how hungry the guy looked.

The next day somebody followed up on FB about the situation. They had cooked a meal and took it to the homeless guy and he refused it. He said people had brought him so much food he couldn't eat it all and he didn't want it to go to waste.

It says a lot about our community, but maybe somebody should have taken an order instead just rushing down there.lol

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:39 PM   #48
In The Ten Ring

It is good of the people of your town though. I hope he gets his life on better tracks and I will pray for him.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:04 AM   #49
Grumpy old man

When I retired I thought the whole idea was to sit back and enjoy EVERYTHING ! ribeyes ,prime rib ,and anything else that looked good . I hit 300 well ok 310 and I didn't have a problem with it UNTIL my knees hurt ,my back hurt . so I went back to "work" and I eat real food .We rarely eat out ,most everything is fresh from the farm or local farms and I weigh 260 now at 6'2" and it works for me my blood pressure is perfect I only take 1 asprin a day and I eat whatever I want when I want .Building these old trucks by myself has me lifting and carrying a lot of weight alone and I feel just as strong as I did many years ago . I have friends 10 years younger who take a handful of pills everyday and constantly chasing the next fad diet and their sickly looking and have no energy to keep up with the ol guy ! eat whatever you want (NO JUNK FOOD OR SODA EVER) live your life and be happy nobody promises you tomorrow so live everyday like it's your last ...It just may be .all 4 of my grandparents died at 102 ,my dad at 92 is still kicking butt and they all ate real food from the farm . stop looking for some secret plan or book and increase your activity level to match your intake ...it's that simple .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 12:09 AM   #50
In The Ten Ring

You better be strong and fit Grumpy, I need you alive and well for when I finally get ready for your help with putting my front end back on!