The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-18-2017, 05:52 PM   #1
smbrouss70

Accuair e-level Rocker Switch placement

I'm looking for ideas on where to put my rocker switch for my Accuair e-level setup in my 1970 Blazer. I know somebody here has put one in a 67-72 pickup/suburban/blazer and found a good place to mount it within easy reach while driving and without cutting a giant rectangular hole in the dash or console.

Pics would be great, if you have them.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:39 AM   #2
smbrouss70

Re: Accuair e-level Rocker Switch placement

Anybody??? Somebody has surely put a rocker switch Accuair setup in their truck on here.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

Shop Build
Old 07-22-2017, 05:40 AM   #3
BigMike

So here is my setup I did (has since been painted to match my interior). It's a 18ga piece of sheet matal I trimmed up to fit between the gauge bezel and the aluminum aftermarked overlay. I think it would work under the stock bezel as well. I then used the backing to a floor mount kit I bought a while back. You can make it out of sheet metal, but I had it laying around so I used it. I screwed it to the back of the controller and then used 2 HD magnets I bought off of Amazon. I can attach it to the panel or take it off and bring it with me if I want, which makes my truck harder to steal because aired out it won't go over reflectors in the road so it's nearly impossible to drive.

If I decide to do something different I just loosen the screws holding the overlay on and the panel slides right out with no evidence of it ever being there...no holes.

No issues with the door closed

BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 04:04 PM   #4
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

I think most go for the touchpad, so probably won't get many responses. I had thoughts of using the rocker and hiding it in the console ashtray. If using a cup holder console, the bottom of the cigarette pack holder (at least that's what fits best in there) looks like a good spot, though I never got around to measuring. Whatever you do, make sure it's out of direct sight, as I understand it can be quite bright at night

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 04:28 PM   #5
smbrouss70

I know most go for the touchpad, I was just hoping there were a couple of creative cheap bastards like me out there.

Back 6 or 7 years ago when I ordered my Accuair, I didn't want the touchpad hanging out on the seat. I figured I would make a bracket to put it under the dash pointing at the floor. A buddy of mine did exactly that and hated having to lean forward to reach it. He ended up adding the touchpad and made a pretty slick mount that bolts to the floor right in front of his bench seat. I could do something similar, but I am too hard-headed!

Now they have the slick ashtray mounts for the touchpad for $300. If they had something like that back then I would have ordered the touchpad from the beginning. Now it would cost me another $640 to get that setup ($340 to add the touchpad), and I just don't see it as worth that much to have a hidden control.

I think I will try to make a bracket for it that hangs off of the bottom of the seat frame and points it towards the driver's door. Hopefully that will be easy to reach while driving.
Attached Images

R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

Shop Build
Old 07-22-2017, 04:31 PM   #6
smbrouss70

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
So here is my setup I did (has since been painted to match my interior). It's a 18ga piece of sheet matal I trimmed up to fit between the gauge bezel and the aluminum aftermarked overlay. I think it would work under the stock bezel as well. I then used the backing to a floor mount kit I bought a while back. You can make it out of sheet metal, but I had it laying around so I used it. I screwed it to the back of the controller and then used 2 HD magnets I bought off of Amazon. I can attach it to the panel or take it off and bring it with me if I want, which makes my truck harder to steal because aired out it won't go over reflectors in the road so it's nearly impossible to drive.

If I decide to do something different I just loosen the screws holding the overlay on and the panel slides right out with no evidence of it ever being there...no holes.
Thanks Mike!

That's a nice setup that isn't permanent if you change your mind. Unfortunately, that won't work for the rocker switch because the wiring connector sticks straight out of the back of the switch. Without the billet overlay, it would be way too close to the dash itself.

I do like your out-of-the-box thinking on that one, though!

R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

Shop Build
Old 07-22-2017, 06:24 PM   #7
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Yeah, man. The ashtray mount looks killer. I like the on the seat frame idea, I've seen switches there before. Hides nicely, too

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:05 PM   #8
smbrouss70

After looking at it closer there isn't a good place to mount a bracket on the buckets without messing with the upholstery. Although, the little wall going up to the bed area on a Blazer is within easy reach for me, plus I was already thinking of putting the ECU and VU4 valve block inside the rocker box, so that would make routing the wiring to the switch easy. I just have to make sure that some of that Blazer-specific bracing isn't in the way.

R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

Shop Build