The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2017, 08:06 PM   #26
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Re: Found a period camper I think I am buying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApacheIvan View Post
It was sitting on a bed trailer when I got there. It was bigger than I thought it wanted..gonna need new upholstery. . Pretty dry rotted.. should clean up nicely..had a little water damage and the top of the roof is pretty wavy..not fond of some of the plastic trim..it has been a long hot trip..
Where's some pics?? I'm just kidding, you're probably whooped.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:10 PM   #27
ApacheIvan

I can't figure out how to post pics from my phone.. tha attach icon is missing. ..
Original Owner

** Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?**
ApacheIvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:12 PM   #28
ApacheIvan

I am not home yet damn it's hot
Original Owner

Old 07-24-2017, 08:23 PM   #29
ApacheIvan

Too big I

Original Owner

Old 07-24-2017, 08:24 PM   #30
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:28 PM   #31
Ol Blue K20

Looks great, how's it driving?

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 07-24-2017, 11:54 PM   #32
Coley

Hey, that looks great!
That said, I've never met a guy who has ever bought, loaded and driven his truck for the first time with a full size camper and said...."wow, it seems really small and light"...lol. I was no different...and the truck I had was a '72 1/2 ton (not 3/4 ton).....but the camper was an 8 ft'er (in the bed) with the overhead bunk but it still weighed about 1500 lbs and that 1/2 ton knew it was there.
Regardless, they always take a little getting used to but your 3/4 ton truck can handle it......looks good the way it sits.
If you want more load capacity you always buy a set of bolt on helper springs.
(Question: do you have coil/trailing arm rear suspension....or leaf springs?)

Just spend the time to go through the basics on the truck for the cooling, tire pressures, brakes, etc and you will be fine.
Payback comes the first couple of mornings when you go camping for the first time....then you'll love it!
After that, you'll probably want to 'personalize' the camper with your own stuff and style in there...thats what we did.
I rigged a couple of fishing rod holders in the roof to hold by fly reels and I added a bunch of specific indoor lights and stuff where I wanted them.
Same goes for the kitchen stuff.....your own spice rack or bbq tool set up etc...stuff that works for you.

Excellent to see!!...enjoy!

Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:42 AM   #33
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

That is too cool. Looks like a party ready to happen. Get the BBQ ready and put the beer on ice.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:01 PM   #34
ApacheIvan

Ok, finally home. What could go wrong did. It actually handled pretty well considering how big it is. I need to measure. No swaying. With that said, I had some carb issues, now that I am home I am going to take it apart, it is either dirty or needs a new filter. The carb filter the one on the front of the one I have on my truck fell apart, took the line off it and started to back it out and 2 threads and it fell into my hands and I could not get it to go back together without it leaking. It appeared they had some kind of sealant, so I got a ride to the ORiellys and bought gas tank sealer, the stuff in a roll in a tube that is two parts until you mix them and put it back the way it was. It did stop the leak, Still coughs and sputters after a stop until it gets back up to speed, I did manage to give it a few raps to get the floats to unstick. Anyways, it is coming back apart and maybe a new one.

2am this morning, I was moving right along and the drivers rear tire came apart, really messed up the bed side and cut a few of my wiring for my camper.

Still had air and nothing but steel belts, all the tread was gone. Getting the original spare undone was a nightmare, and in the dark. I could not get the jack I brought to work so I limped 5 miles to the closest truck stop. NOONE could help me get the tire off and the spare on, so I called AAA and they sent a bozo with a 1 ton jack that would not work so he left, so I asked an old man if he had a jack in his truck, he said he did, and it was small as well so I jacked up the corner of the camper first and the small jack he had worked. So I put the 40yr old spare on and went to the next town, now 8am and he said noone in town would have a 16.5 tire or 16in wheels, Ugh,,, more reason to buy the 16 in wheels.

Needless to say I had to run all the rest of the way, about 130 miles on a bad tire, the pair for the one that blew and a 40 yr old spare on a big camper.

I am over the camper idea, still need one actually I think I am going to clean this one up, get everything working and sell it. It is pretty nice., I think it is just bigger that i had hoped, and it is heavy. The CC C/20 handled it well but I plan on pulling my Mini on a trailer behind, and both of them together I think would destroy my baby. I am not happy that the tire did such damage to my bedside
Original Owner

Old 07-25-2017, 12:39 PM   #35
Coley

Smile Re: Found a period camper I think I am buying!

...well hopefully that first trip didn't put you off of the camper idea too much.

That said, if you get a chance, check out the smaller 8ft to 9ft campers...they are lighter and easier to deal with for sure...certainly a piece of cake for a 3/4 ton.

Word of advice...stay away from trying to get one with a toilet/bathroom. These are nothing but trouble and, in my opinion, simply not worth it.
This will quickly get you down into the shorter, lighter, smaller units.

When you are camping everyone has to make do somehow...including the kids and ladies...and for me that means...no toilet.
Why?....guess who has to clean that system out at the end of a camping trip usually?...yep, Dad. So...no dice, no way, no day.... unless those who use it clean it...lol.

With us, we have a pact...whoever has to go 'potty' in the middle of the night...I go with them for the walk...no problem, even if its at 2:00 in the morning. Great investment and well worth it if I don't have to spend the last hour or two of a camping trip with a pair of rubber gloves on cleaning septic tanks...lol.

OR...you can get a simple portable toilet. Certainly not my thing....but an acceptable compromise I suppose.....just teach those who use it how to clean it a few times....and you'll be surprised at how interested they get in heading into the woods or to the facilities...lol.

all good
Coley
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 07-25-2017, 05:27 PM   #36
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Sorry to hear of your troubles and that the camper isn't what you were hoping for. They are heavy. I'm not sure what mine weighs but it sure sketches me out to leave it on jacks very long. 16.5 tires aren't as bad when you're prepared, but no bueno when you're not. No one stocks them in small sizes unless it's a skid loader or an implement trailer anymore. Now that wheel vintiques makes the 16x10 steel wheels that accept a hub cap, some day I might make the switch due to the scarcity of the 16.5 stuff. Although, I doubt BFG quits making them. You just have to buy them when they make a run of them.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:17 PM   #37
ApacheIvan

Already posted in Craigslist. It really is way to big for what I wanted. He said it was like 9.5 ft.. I just measured, from the back window to the edge of the door it is more like 11.5 ft with 16ft total. I mean the C/20 Custom Camper pulled it well, no swaying, you could tell it was heavy. The tag on the back says it weighs 2500lbs.. Plugged in the main power.. fridge does not work, I am a bit afraid to test the stove, the hot water tank is disconnected.. I pulled out all the curtains to wash them by hand, literally fell apart in the bucket, so new curtains, the cushions need to be redone, The top bunk I think a mattress is cheaper than reupholstering they bed foam. The dinette cushions should be easy enough. Floors and cabinets, doors and screens all in nice shape, overall in pretty good condition for a 75 camper, solid enough. I wish it had been closer to look at before I bought it. I probably would have given it a second thought. I am a man of my word even if it costs me money and time, so I drove off with it. I will clean it, get what I can working and new curtains, and hopefully someone will have to have it like I did
Original Owner

Old 07-26-2017, 05:35 PM   #38
Coley

The most importance appliance, in terms cost and complexity wise, is the fridge.
If you have it at home try it first on 120 volt...easy enough to do....and very low risk. Simply set the controls to 'gas off' and '120v on'...they are usually pretty generic. Leave it on for probably 4-6 hours and then check it...you will see it heading to, or below...zero degrees probably.

As for the stove, those pretty much always work. Just lift up the main top surface which usually snaps down into place and see if there is a central 'feeder pilot' underneath for feeding the 3 or 4 burners....if there is a central pilot location, then its easy to light it after turning on the main propane.
If there isn't a central feeder pilot then the burners probably get lit individually when you turn that specific burner on. I usually either a match or a bbq lighter.
They should light within 3-5 seconds.
Does it have a furnace?....good to try that too.
Remember these systems are inherently pretty simply and thus pretty safe so just use the same amount of care and attention as you would to starting your bbq.

The reason I mention testing this stuff is because it will probably be a major question asked by a potential buyer and having them working will make a big difference in the resale value.

As for cushions, keep an eye out for people 'scrapping' or parting out newer motorhomes. They are usually full of cushions, curtains, etc that you could wash and re-purpose for your camper prior to selling.

My two bits.
Coley
2000 Dodge Ram 1500

Last edited by Coley; 07-26-2017 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:28 PM   #39
ApacheIvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
The most importance appliance, in terms cost and complexity wise, is the fridge.
If you have it at home try it first on 120 volt...easy enough to do....and very low risk. Simply set the controls to 'gas off' and '120v on'...they are usually pretty generic. Leave it on for probably 4-6 hours and then check it...you will see it heading to, or below...zero degrees probably.

As for the stove, those pretty much always work. Just lift up the main top surface which usually snaps down into place and see if there is a central 'feeder pilot' underneath for feeding the 3 or 4 burners....if there is a central pilot location, then its easy to light it after turning on the main propane.
If there isn't a central feeder pilot then the burners probably get lit individually when you turn that specific burner on. I usually either a match or a bbq lighter.
They should light within 3-5 seconds.
Does it have a furnace?....good to try that too.
Remember these systems are inherently pretty simply and thus pretty safe so just use the same amount of care and attention as you would to starting your bbq.

The reason I mention testing this stuff is because it will probably be a major question asked by a potential buyer and having them working will make a big difference in the resale value.

As for cushions, keep an eye out for people 'scrapping' or parting out newer motorhomes. They are usually full of cushions, curtains, etc that you could wash and re-purpose for your camper prior to selling.

My two bits.
Coley
So far the only thing that works are the inside lights and plugs oh and the water pump or it sounds like it. The fridge did not work on electric I am going to take one of my propane tanks in and have tested and filled and try the stove, and yes it has a heater. Oh the electric water pump does work, but as I stated, the electric water header is disconnected and it looks like where the hose would tie in while you were in a camping spot filled the heater first and with nothing connected to it, I think I will have water everywhere, it does have a water tank for self contained, and does not look like it is tied to the water heater, so I am going to try to put water in it. The fridge says it needs to be level, but it did not even attempt to get cold.
Original Owner

Old 07-26-2017, 09:46 PM   #40
Chevyland

Be really careful when you start running water through anything
Those old fittings can be brittle
And like you said, who knows what has been disconnected
I have a late 70's silver streak
And when I connected water after it sat
It flooded the floor
Go slow , and look everywhere

I know what you mean, keeping your word
I've had a couple deals, I wish I had more info on

It all works out in the end.
You only live once.

Your still invited to my BBQ
You can stay in the silver streak if you want😀😀😀
Chevyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:19 PM   #41
ApacheIvan

Now that sounds like a deal I can't refuse. I just ordered the telescoping water fill that pulls out from the side and the petcock for the potable water, brittle it was no leaks on the inside. The stove works, I assume the oven will as well, there was still propane in the tanks, The fridge lit up too, not sure if it is working yet.. I have to get it on a level foundation first. Have not checked the heater yet..Not sure why the water heater is disconnected, assuming it leaks..was that TMI?

Ordered 16in wheels (eBay, 54 a piece shipped) and tires today 245/75/16 from Amazon 104 shipped. I love AMZ and eBay, I don't even have to leave the house ok, now you know more than you need Oh wait, I need to pound out my truck bed, maybe tomorrow!

Ha!
Original Owner

Old 07-26-2017, 10:56 PM   #42
Ol Blue K20

Quote:
Now that sounds like a deal I can't refuse. I just ordered the telescoping water fill that pulls out from the side and the petcock for the potable water, brittle it was no leaks on the inside. The stove works, I assume the oven will as well, there was still propane in the tanks, The fridge lit up too, not sure if it is working yet.. I have to get it on a level foundation first. Have not checked the heater yet..Not sure why the water heater is disconnected, assuming it leaks..was that TMI?

Ordered 16in wheels (eBay, 54 a piece shipped) and tires today 245/75/16 from Amazon 104 shipped. I love AMZ and eBay, I don't even have to leave the house ok, now you know more than you need Oh wait, I need to pound out my truck bed, maybe tomorrow!

Ha!
How bout some pics of the damage? I know it sucks...but...curious minds want to see. My 78 pilgrim camper the fridge only works on propane. I haven't used the camper but twice since I bought my cabin. I've had the cabin almost 13 years...lol. I guess I should sell the camper. The only reason I haven't is the stove and oven are awesome. We use it as a second kitchen for the holidays and special occasions.

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 07-26-2017, 11:44 PM   #43
Ol Blue K20

Quote:

Ha!
How bout some pics of the damage? I know it sucks...but...curious minds want to see. My 78 pilgrim camper the fridge only works on propane. I haven't used the camper but twice since I bought my cabin. I've had the cabin almost 13 years...lol. I guess I should sell the camper. The only reason I haven't is the stove and oven are awesome. We use it as a second kitchen for the holidays and special occasions.

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 07-26-2017, 11:49 PM   #44
ApacheIvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
AAA left me stranded, they sent someone that could not get a jack under it. The scissor jack just did not cut it, the small floor jack the tow guy brought would not lift it so he left and the AAA operator said to call them back in 2 hours. I finally found an old guy with another small jack and we lifted the camper with one of the camper jacks off that corner and finally got the bad tire off and the 40 yr old spare on it. It is a miracle the tire with no tread on steel got me off the highway at least 5 miles down the road, and another miracle that the spare got me the last 120 miles. I stopped at the next town only to try every tire store only to be told they did not have 16.5 tires or 16in rims that we could put a tire on, so I limped home. I threw the shredded tire in the camper and when I got home it was flat. Getting the spare out from under the truck at 3am along the highway was brutal, the bolt that held it on place was bent and was not easy to straighten enough to back off the part that had to take enough pressure to drop the carrier.. the carb started acting up too about 100 miles on my way back and fell apart in my hands so it is literally glued back together with two part gas tank epoxy.. jeez what a trip.. glad it is over. I bought a few parts for the water system, will fix it up get what I can get working and sell the beast.. I had no idea how big it was, I was told 9.5 ft, I measured today, it is 11.5ft from back of cab to door and 16 ft overall. Found dry weight on tag said 2500 and some pounds.. amazingly enough no sway, just felt like I had a heavy trailer behind me..sucked the gas!

Name:  20170726_222407[1].jpg
Views: 158
Size:  31.7 KB

Name:  20170726_222315[1].jpg
Views: 157
Size:  34.9 KB

Name:  20170726_222301[1].jpg
Views: 157
Size:  19.6 KB

Name:  20170726_222447[1].jpg
Size:  38.5 KB

Name:  20170726_222255[1].jpg
Size:  20.3 KB

Made a hell of a noise, I was seeing my life flash before my eyes, that and every time a big truck blew by me while I laid under the truck struggling with the spare! Oh and I had to rewire a few things, the rubber cut through my tail (running) lights thank goodness I still had emergency and brake lights just to get me off the highway.
Original Owner

Old 07-27-2017, 12:04 AM   #45
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I feel your pain man! I had the tread come off the right rear tire on my wife's Excursion 2 years ago. We were in Moberly Mo doing 75 when the tread came off. It jacked the quarter up pretty bad. I drove it about a mile on the cords to get off the highway to change it. Luckily I had a jack, air compressor and tools to change it out. Too bad I had 285s on it and the spare was a 265 so I had to pull one from the front to put on the rear and put the spare on the front. Fun times. Plus it was over 100*.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 07-27-2017, 12:19 AM   #46
ApacheIvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
I feel your pain man! I had the tread come off the right rear tire on my wife's Excursion 2 years ago. We were in Moberly Mo doing 75 when the tread came off. It jacked the quarter up pretty bad. I drove it about a mile on the cords to get off the highway to change it. Luckily I had a jack, air compressor and tools to change it out. Too bad I had 285s on it and the spare was a 265 so I had to pull one from the front to put on the rear and put the spare on the front. Fun times. Plus it was over 100*.
And yes it was 100 degrees most of my trip.. I think I lost 5 lbs
Original Owner

Old 07-27-2017, 07:22 AM   #47
Ol Blue K20

It sucks when a tire comes unglued. I'm glad the damage wasn't worse.

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 07-28-2017, 07:16 AM   #48
In The Ten Ring

Really sorry about your bedside...just get it fixed and go on. As to the camper, well, you bought it and went to the trouble of getting it, just take your time and fix things one at at time. Don't let your temporary emotions force you into a permanent solution.

If it was easy and cheap, everyone would have one of these.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:30 AM   #49
ApacheIvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
Really sorry about your bedside...just get it fixed and go on. As to the camper, well, you bought it and went to the trouble of getting it, just take your time and fix things one at at time. Don't let your temporary emotions force you into a permanent solution.

If it was easy and cheap, everyone would have one of these.
Nah, it really isn't an emotional thing. I was told it was not quite so big. It is about as big as you can get, like 11.5 ft and 16ft overall @ 2500lbs. I need to tow a trailer as well and there is no way I would get it over a hill, didn't really have any sway, but you could tell it was heavy. So, it is for sale I will clean it up, get it ready for someone who want it for a deer lease or camping..I really is in pretty good shape for as old as it is.
Original Owner

Old 07-28-2017, 10:30 AM   #50
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I think you should find a C30 cab chassis 72 to put the camper on. Then you can have a DRW dedicated camper/hauler.
1969 Chevy milk truck