The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-01-2008, 11:32 PM   #101
SCOTI

Re: Dropmember C4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild83C10 View Post
I'm more interested in performance then looks so the C4 (or the not yet released C5) DM is very interesting. However, how much of a performance difference will I see over the regular DM? I would use tubular control arm with the regular DM since I already have them.
I guess what I am really asking is if its worth the extra money? Thanks
My info is the C4 DM has better geometry vs. the C10 DM which has better geometry vs. stock GM truck geometry. That being said, it's still not Y-body performance capable because of the vehicle dynamics themselves (wheelbase, weight distribution, roll center), but it should be much improved over stock.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:50 PM   #102
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild83C10 View Post
I'm more interested in performance then looks so the C4 (or the not yet released C5) DM is very interesting. However, how much of a performance difference will I see over the regular DM? I would use tubular control arm with the regular DM since I already have them.
I guess what I am really asking is if its worth the extra money? Thanks
SCOTI is correct on the geometry differences between the Dropmember and DropmemberC4. The DropmemberC5 is currently only a CAD file and numbers in a suspension analyzer program. Once it is developed and properly tested, we will be hearing much more about it.

Here's the skinny on the two current versions available:

Although the regular Dropmember's geometry is an improvement from stock, I would not refer to it as a "performance suspension"... just an improvement over stock. The regular Dropmember is more of a daily driver type system, where camber gains are not as significant as would be a "performance" design. Due to the travel available, via the airspring, I wanted the wheels to not have hard negative camber on full compression. To accomplish this, the camber curve couldn't be too aggressive.

Now the DropmemberC4 on the other hand, was designed as a performance suspension system. It has a greater camber gain, a lower roll center, and a different castor trail. It's ride height is about an inch higher than the regular Dropmember (at 6.5-7"), and it will not allow the truck to lay frame when fully deflated.

The Dropmember C4 is a little more expensive than the regular Dropmember, but if you find a good deal on the C4 parts (uses 88-96 C4 components),it could make all the difference. Keep an eye on craigslist... people are unloading a lot of stuff CHEAP just to put gas in their car and food on the table. I scored a 96 front suspension a couple weeks back with 13" rotors for $400, complete.

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!

Last edited by PBFAB.COM; 10-01-2008 at 11:51 PM.
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:42 AM   #103
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Nate

I am in the planning stages of a new project truck. It will be either a '65 Short Step or a '85 Short Fleet that I have/can get cheap. My question is about the front suspension. I have looked/read everything that I can on your DM's. My plan is to have a street/strip truck that could be driven to work when the weather is nice and take the kids to school if we choose.

For a drag race type of truck, which of your DM's would you recommend for both handling and weight for the Drags, but also some street duty?

Thanks, Karl

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square

Last edited by aggie91; 10-02-2008 at 09:42 AM.
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:31 AM   #104
Tony@AirRideTech

for reference... if someone doesnt know the year break of the C-4 stuff you are looking for, they might refer to it as long or short. The 88+ stuff is the longer stuff.
Tony@AirRideTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:31 PM   #105
Wild83C10

Thanks for the info. The lower cost of the C4 components would definitely make this more appealing.

What is the projected completion date for the C5 DM?

383 MASS-FLO EFI/TKO II 600/3.90 Posi 10 bolt
S475 and C4 DM running, fine tuning
turbo=
Douchebag Racing: Runs Fine all the Time
Wild83C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:42 PM   #106
Wild83C10

Ok well I just started the process of gathering all the parts for the C4 Dropmember. I just ordered the C4 front suspension parts from Dino's Corvette Salvage. They first quoted me a price of $350 per side, but I got him down to $600 total. I had one person quote me $1500 (private seller) and another corvette salvage place quote me $750. I couldn't find anything on ebay or craigslist. This was for the 88-93 C4. Now I just need to save some money for the rest of the parts and the DM.

Nate,
You listed a bunch of info on additional parts in the $999 DM thread, is all that info applicable to the C4 DM? Thanks

turbo=

Last edited by Wild83C10; 10-06-2008 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Hit enter too soon.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:54 PM   #107
Mtrhd329

So if one were to have a 87 vette sitting in the back yard then this would be a good piece? I have already stripped the drivetrain and most of the wiring and dash and was trying to figure out how to get the suspension under there too! Was a price for the backhalf ever discussed i read through the thread and didnt see it. Thanks!
Mtrhd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:28 PM   #108
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtrhd329 View Post
So if one were to have a 87 vette sitting in the back yard then this would be a good piece? I have already stripped the drivetrain and most of the wiring and dash and was trying to figure out how to get the suspension under there too! Was a price for the backhalf ever discussed i read through the thread and didnt see it. Thanks!
If the front suspension pieces are in good shape & you already have them then this is a good set-up to use.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 10-23-2008, 05:41 PM   #109
babyblueoval

Quote:
The dropmember C4 is set up to work with '88-96 suspension parts. I've already gone through this when I was shipped the control arms for '84-87 - they won't work. One more thing to consider (at least this is the info I was given by a couple vette sources) is the '95-96 vettes had 13" rotors and slightly larger calipers standard. Most cars before that had 12" rotors - they were an option for a couple years though.

'71 Blazer-Porterbuilt Dropmember C4/LS1/6L80E
'57 VW beetle - Oct. 2006 Hot VW's pg. 87 - 350hp intercooled, turbocharged, EFI 2.3liter and 5spd in the works
'87 BMW 325i - daily driver
babyblueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:29 PM   #110
Wild83C10

If anyone is thinking about the C4 Dropmember there is an 88+ C4 front suspension setup for sale in the 67-72 parts classified section. They were asking $450. Pretty good price. I had to haggle with Dino's vette salvage to pay $600. One other place wanted $750.

turbo=
Old 10-24-2008, 12:20 AM   #111
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
The current production DropmemberC4 is to be used with the 88-96 C4 components. I have built a few weld-in Dropmembers that used the 84-87 parts, but don't have a bolt-in drawn up yet. The 88-96 parts are a better fit for these trucks.

On the back-half... the price varies depending on how we set things up. They start at $2K. Each one is custom built for your application and we incorporate details in the bracketry and gussets that make it unique.

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:35 AM   #112
SCOTI

Hey skinny boy . . .... I'm actually going to install my C4 DM within the next month. I remember my 'one-off' set-up required custom specs on the R&P. Anything special I need to know in particular so I can get the ball rolling & have it by the time it's needed? I'll measure for accuracy but what's the max back-spacing you think we can get away with using this set-up?

PM, call . . ..... reply here..... whatever works best for you. Any ETA of when will my next pkg will arrive?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 10-24-2008 at 12:38 AM.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:47 AM   #113
Rokcrln

I had already ordered a Regular DM for my 70 2 wd Blazer then decided to go with the C4 because once I got Strong arms, disk brakes, drop spindles all to change out the drum brake 6 lug set up it would be cheaper to go C4. Even if in the end the price ends up the same for the two set up who can argue the C4 is not a better set up. Also keep in mind Nate did not just transfer the geometry info from the Vett over to these trucks and sell it as is. He took the time and knowledge he has learned over the years and improved the spec's to work much better in these trucks. I know people are saying how can he build better then GM with all their money they put into things. Well he doesn't, he takes into consideration the roll center, weight, motor placement and tons of other stuff I don't understand to make it work great for us.
Sorry Man crush over

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:08 PM   #114
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
I had already ordered a Regular DM for my 70 2 wd Blazer then decided to go with the C4 because once I got Strong arms, disk brakes, drop spindles all to change out the drum brake 6 lug set up it would be cheaper to go C4. Even if in the end the price ends up the same for the two set up who can argue the C4 is not a better set up..... Kevin.
LFD Inc.
This was my logic as well. By the time you buy new arms & a brake upgrade, the C4-DM could cost the same or less. It will definitely shave weight & work as well or better.

The main downside is the cost of the ShockWaves (and custom R&P if you're one of those kind of customers ).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 10-24-2008, 02:11 PM   #115
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
This was my logic as well...
Why is it every time someone starts thinking it costs me money?...

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:22 PM   #116
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoloco View Post
Tell me about it..... you're preachin to the choir brother! You know it's bad when you have 3 trucks . . . .... and a DM for each of them .
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 10-24-2008, 10:44 PM   #117
babyblueoval

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoloco View Post
Hey Chris,
You can hop on over to Little Rock and help me put mine on that way you'll know for sure if you like it first.

'71 Blazer-Porterbuilt Dropmember C4/LS1/6L80E
'57 VW beetle - Oct. 2006 Hot VW's pg. 87 - 350hp intercooled, turbocharged, EFI 2.3liter and 5spd in the works
'87 BMW 325i - daily driver
babyblueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:23 PM   #118
Wild83C10

So what sway bar will the the C4 DP require?
Also how much does the engine shift with this DP? Does it depend on how much of a drop you want? Thanks

turbo=
Old 12-10-2008, 12:54 AM   #119
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Any pics of the rear set up installed ????

Killer
Spray-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:04 AM   #120
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

There is a thread by Nate titled Back-half Corvette C4 or something similar, and a white 65-66 truck with C4 members front and rear with powdered centerline smoothies- I forget his username- both in the suspension forum.

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote