The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-01-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
blime81
Laid Lo

How I mounted a York Compressor to a SBC

Ok so I see lots of folks asking about EDCs and how to mount them up. Thought I'd share how I did mine in my '72 C10.

Things I needed were:
2 groove water pump pulley
belt
plate steel
threaded rod and nuts (for tension adjusters)
(4) grade 8 bolts (mounting bracket to head and compressor to bracket)
spray paint

Tools I used:
drill press (you could use a hand drill)
vise
grinder
torch
110v welder (used flux core wire)

First I cut and fitted a heavy plate to mount to the passenger side head. I was originally going to use 1/4 plate for this and put a brace on it to keep it from from flexing in towards the crank but a buddy cut me a piece of 3/8" so no worries about it bending.

Here it is roughed out on the drill press ready for drilling.

Next I bolted it up and did the final fitting.

The plate for the York is nothing more than 1/4 plate that I cut and clamped in a vise. I heated it up and bent it 90* to make a tension adjustment then drilled the holes and connected them with a grinder to make slots. You could just make it flat and put 4 slots in the bottom instead.

Next was the hardest part. I bolted the compressor into the plate and then my bro held it on the mount off the head. We measured to the new water pump pulley and measured some more to make sure it was level and straight. The slots and tensioners allow for a bit of adj in this but you wanna get it really close. Then I tacked it in place and removed it.

Welded it up and did a bit more grinding.

Rattle can black paint job.

Then mounted it up. Measured and got a new belt (48" in my case). Here you can see the studs on the end that allow me to tension the belt.

Wiring: This was simple. Just ran a wire from the clutch to the pres switch on the tank. Then a wire from the pres switch to a toggle in the cab and finally to the fuse box. Compressor turns on when tank pressure drops and I can turn it off if I want to. It's only hot when key is on.

Plumbing: I just used little knock off K&N I had laying around for intake. I still have to mount a oil/water seperater between the tank and the compressor. The Yorks tend to spit oil so you need this to keep your valves from getting gummed up.Tank gets a one way valve where the comp goes in. This will keep air from bleeding back into the compressor. I'm also going to put a quick fitting on the tank so I can air up tires, run airtools etc. (good luck doing that for long with electric compressors)

Probably going to get this filter with the sight glass. http://www.kilbyenterprises.com/coalescing-filter.htm

Overall it was pretty simple. Spins nice and quiet, plenty of air and cheap! Total cost for me was about $50 for everything including the compressor! Hope this helps someone and good luck
'07 Sand Rail - ecotec powered
'05 2500HD - tows stuff
'67 VW Bug - gas saver
'01 Jeep TJ - rock crawler

Last edited by blime81; 08-01-2010 at 11:00 PM.
blime81 is offline   Reply With Quote