The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2019, 10:43 AM   #451
Purcell69

Re: 57 GMC, frame swap, 4wd, 454 big block, 4 speed

Great work! That big block will love the overdrive and with the torque it makes, you really won't notice a reduction in power, just lower RPM at highway speed.

-Joe
Old 02-17-2019, 11:56 AM   #452
Old57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purcell69 View Post
Great work! That big block will love the overdrive and with the torque it makes, you really won't notice a reduction in power, just lower RPM at highway speed.

-Joe
Thanks! Yes, it has plenty of torque and definitely has no problem at cruising at 70. I'm hoping to get the axle shims changed today to see if that fixes the driveline vibration on the highway.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:17 PM   #453
Purcell69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old57 View Post
Thanks! Yes, it has plenty of torque and definitely has no problem at cruising at 70. I'm hoping to get the axle shims changed today to see if that fixes the driveline vibration on the highway.
Here's hoping! I think you are right about the vibration at speed. Getting the pinion/driveline angles right should fix it.

My new radiator arrived yesterday. I'm switching to all aluminum with a built in trans cooler rather than monkey around anymore with the Cummins trans cooler. Also, FedEx delivered some new rear tires today, so at least all four will be the same size now. I just need a nice day off to install some goodies.

I didn't give it any thought, since I'm sitting on a stock suspension, but I probably need to double check mine, since I moved the engine back 3".

-Joe
Old 02-27-2019, 01:30 PM   #454
Old57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purcell69 View Post
Here's hoping! I think you are right about the vibration at speed. Getting the pinion/driveline angles right should fix it.

My new radiator arrived yesterday. I'm switching to all aluminum with a built in trans cooler rather than monkey around anymore with the Cummins trans cooler. Also, FedEx delivered some new rear tires today, so at least all four will be the same size now. I just need a nice day off to install some goodies.

I didn't give it any thought, since I'm sitting on a stock suspension, but I probably need to double check mine, since I moved the engine back 3".

-Joe
I just saw your new parts on your thread, looking good. I got the pinion angle adjusted on mine, but I haven't had it back out to see if it fixed the vibration yet... between ice, snow, rain, and salt on the roads, it's keeping my truck shut up in the shop.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:10 PM   #455
Purcell69

Quote:
I just saw your new parts on your thread, looking good. I got the pinion angle adjusted on mine, but I haven't had it back out to see if it fixed the vibration yet... between ice, snow, rain, and salt on the roads, it's keeping my truck shut up in the shop.
I don’t blame you for waiting. I wouldn’t want my truck out in the salt and ice either. Aside from any potential rust issues down the road, there is always that “other driver” that has no business diving in winter weather.

Best to wait it out to enjoy the fruit of your labor.

-Joe
Old 03-14-2019, 10:25 AM   #456
66_c10

What did you use to mount the radiator, was this just c-channel? what did you cushion it with? I am trying to figure out what to use to mount my crossflow.
66_c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:13 PM   #457
Old57

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66_c10 View Post
What did you use to mount the radiator, was this just c-channel? what did you cushion it with? I am trying to figure out what to use to mount my crossflow.
The US Radiator cross flow I got came with a top and bottom mount. I modified and reinforced their bottom mount to strengthen it and to work with how I mounted my fans, and used thick rubber that I cut from a roll at a surplus store to cushion the bottom. I also used the thick rubber at the top sandwiched between the radiator and the top mount that came from US Radiator.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:08 PM   #458
Old57

Yesterday was finally sunny and 60 degrees, so I thought it would be a good day to get a trailer full of tree limbs hauled to the dump. I hooked up the trailer to the 57, and it was effortless with the big block. It was the coolest truck at the dump!
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2019, 08:11 PM   #459
mongocanfly
Post Whore

(Coolest truck at the dump)..... I like that....nice...how are you liking the nv?...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:45 PM   #460
joedoh

I see you visited Mt Wichita! highest point in sedgwick county, surprised the rich folks havent built houses on it yet.

truck looks amazing! especially working.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:57 PM   #461
Old57

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
(Coolest truck at the dump)..... I like that....nice...how are you liking the nv?...
The NV is great, I'm really glad I swapped it in. It shifts so much better than the SM465, and the 5th gear is a big improvement. It's nice to be able to cruise on the highway when I want to.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:06 AM   #462
Old57

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
I see you visited Mt Wichita! highest point in sedgwick county, surprised the rich folks havent built houses on it yet.

truck looks amazing! especially working.
Haha, yep! I always wonder how bad the ground contamination is around there from the old landfill, and then these multi-million dollar homes are popping up all around it. I'm sure one of these days there will be something built right on "trash mountain"

Hey, while I'm replying to you... we picked up a 98 S10 Blazer for our 15 year old. It ran and drove pretty good, then sat for about a month. We started it today to take it for a drive, and it doesn't want to shift out of 1st gear now. The fluid is good, and it all of the sudden did this after sitting a month. It has the 4.3, and 4wd. I may try to drop the pan and check the filter and valve body, but if I have to swap in a transmission, I may be on the hunt for a good used one.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:49 AM   #463
joedoh

Quote:
Haha, yep! I always wonder how bad the ground contamination is around there from the old landfill, and then these multi-million dollar homes are popping up all around it. I'm sure one of these days there will be something built right on "trash mountain"

Hey, while I'm replying to you... we picked up a 98 S10 Blazer for our 15 year old. It ran and drove pretty good, then sat for about a month. We started it today to take it for a drive, and it doesn't want to shift out of 1st gear now. The fluid is good, and it all of the sudden did this after sitting a month. It has the 4.3, and 4wd. I may try to drop the pan and check the filter and valve body, but if I have to swap in a transmission, I may be on the hunt for a good used one.
you see the evergreens they plant around the base of the mountain? word is that if there is a pocket of methane leaking from decomp the evergreen will turn brown!

I am not a big fan of "all of the sudden" problems with a trans. make sure the fluid is topped up, sounds like its low. on an s10 the cooler is much higher than the trans level so when its not warmed up the fluid level will LOOK high or even dead on, but you have to warm it up and then you can see if its low. check while running, engine at temp.

Old 03-17-2019, 01:03 AM   #464
Old57

Quote:
you see the evergreens they plant around the base of the mountain? word is that if there is a pocket of methane leaking from decomp the evergreen will turn brown!

I am not a big fan of "all of the sudden" problems with a trans. make sure the fluid is topped up, sounds like its low. on an s10 the cooler is much higher than the trans level so when its not warmed up the fluid level will LOOK high or even dead on, but you have to warm it up and then you can see if its low. check while running, engine at temp.
Yep, theres the trees and looks like some pipes or vents of some sort. I imagine that ground is really bad under that fill dirt!

I warmed it up and drove it up and down the street a bit and checked it when it was warm and in park like it should be. Cycled through all the gears on the shifter too. It's weird that it was working perfect, then does this after being parked a month. I'll see what it looks like in the pan and the valve body, but I bet I'll be sticking another transmission in it...
Old 03-17-2019, 04:19 AM   #465
joedoh

if the indicator on the dash is indicating the right gear and you didnt do something obvious like push the 4LO button on the transfer case switches (which would make it feel like first gear all week), and the valve body isnt plugged, then I bet you will be pulling the trans too.

if you have to pull it, dont swear for like a week beforehand so as to save up all the good ones you will need. those top trans bolts on a 4x4 S10, holy geeze, they are rage inducing. my advice is to either cut a flap in the firewall or get those extra long ratcheting wrenches with the flex ends. I changed an engine in a 4x4 blazer, actually removed it from a wrecked 4x4 for my 2wd, I cut the windshield posts and across the floor and leaned the firewall back to avoid the pain. not kidding! you will need a super long 1/2 extension to take the torque converter bolts out from through the core support after removing the starter.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:36 PM   #466
Old57

Quote:
if the indicator on the dash is indicating the right gear and you didnt do something obvious like push the 4LO button on the transfer case switches (which would make it feel like first gear all week), and the valve body isnt plugged, then I bet you will be pulling the trans too.

if you have to pull it, dont swear for like a week beforehand so as to save up all the good ones you will need. those top trans bolts on a 4x4 S10, holy geeze, they are rage inducing. my advice is to either cut a flap in the firewall or get those extra long ratcheting wrenches with the flex ends. I changed an engine in a 4x4 blazer, actually removed it from a wrecked 4x4 for my 2wd, I cut the windshield posts and across the floor and leaned the firewall back to avoid the pain. not kidding! you will need a super long 1/2 extension to take the torque converter bolts out from through the core support after removing the starter.
Well, the Blazer is at the transmission shop getting a rebuild. Should be done in a week or so. I'm glad to not be pulling it!

Back to the regular program... I drove the 57 a little more, and It's doing good. I had shortened the seat tracks about 2" when I was fitting everything in the interior, but now I think I'd like to move the seat back up the 2" I dropped it. It would be a more comfortable position with my foot on the gas pedal. I either need to find another set of 88-04 bench seat mounts to swap back in, or cut mine back apart and raise them up. I could easily make 2" spacers, but I wouldn't be happy with how that looked when I opened the doors.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:09 AM   #467
OutlawDrifter

Glad you're out driving it! I actually used my '49 on Sunday to get groceries, it was nice to blow the dust off!

Instagram @aceshighspeedshop
OutlawDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:15 PM   #468
Old57

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawDrifter View Post
Glad you're out driving it! I actually used my '49 on Sunday to get groceries, it was nice to blow the dust off!
Yes, and it's nice that winter seems to be letting go so we can get the trucks out and drive them!
Old 03-22-2019, 11:46 PM   #469
joedoh

seat height is soooo important

Quote:
Well, the Blazer is at the transmission shop getting a rebuild. Should be done in a week or so. I'm glad to not be pulling it!
I hope I didnt scare you, but honestly I would take a pineapple enema over changing a 4x4 4l60e in a blazer. in a truck you can at least unbolt the cab and tip it back

Old 03-24-2019, 10:32 PM   #470
Old57

Quote:
seat height is soooo important

I hope I didnt scare you, but honestly I would take a pineapple enema over changing a 4x4 4l60e in a blazer. in a truck you can at least unbolt the cab and tip it back
Yes, I shortened the seat brackets 2" when I was building the truck, but now that I'm driving it, that 2" up would put my leg and foot in a much better position. I hear ya about that transmission in the Blazer... after looking at it, I didn't want to even try taking it out
Old 03-24-2019, 10:38 PM   #471
Old57

It was another nice day, so I worked a half day, then took the truck out driving with my wife. I always thought about taking a picture of the side of this building downtown, but never have. Today, we drove by it and I pulled in to get a picture with the truck...

When this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious $#!@

(Back to the Future movie reference in case you didn't know)
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2019, 09:01 AM   #472
OutlawDrifter

Great Scott! 1.21 gigawatts?!

Instagram @aceshighspeedshop
OutlawDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:18 AM   #473
Purcell69

Quote:
Yes, I shortened the seat brackets 2" when I was building the truck, but now that I'm driving it, that 2" up would put my leg and foot in a much better position. I hear ya about that transmission in the Blazer... after looking at it, I didn't want to even try taking it out
It really is tricky finding good seats for these trucks. Sure the original bench seat worked when the average man was 5'6 and 150#. It wasn't super comfortable, but it got the job done.

Fitting a modern bucket or bench in these cabs takes a bit of worth since the cab is only so deep. I had tried putting some power buckets from a '99-'04 Silverado in mine but found they didn't go back far enough to be comfortable, even with the six-way power bases. Raising them helped a little, as did laying them back, but the seat was against the back wall of the cab and the position felt awkward. In the end, I went back to Jeep Cherokee seats, which feel much more comfortable, even without power bases on them.

In the long run, I have some Grand Cherokee buckets that are very similar to the XJ Cherokee seats I am using. I just need to add the power bases to raise and lower as needed for comfort.

It sure is good to see your truck being used and enjoyed. You've made great progress.

-Joe
Old 04-01-2019, 11:20 AM   #474
Purcell69

Quote:
It was another nice day, so I worked a half day, then took the truck out driving with my wife. I always thought about taking a picture of the side of this building downtown, but never have. Today, we drove by it and I pulled in to get a picture with the truck...

When this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious $#!@

(Back to the Future movie reference in case you didn't know)
LOL!

The Wx sure was nice last week. Now that the weekend has passed, we should have another string of nice days to do more truck stuff.

-Joe
Old 04-03-2019, 10:57 PM   #475
Old57

Yes, it is a nice change to have the good weather lately.

I posted earlier about having a drive line vibration at 60-70 mph... I rechecked my pinion angle, and ended up changing it 2 degrees. That helped some, but I still had pretty heavy vibrations on the highway. I checked my drive line again, but it was set just right so I was trying to figure out why I still had the vibration. I decided to get a new rear shaft made with a double cardon joint and a custom flange on the transfer case from High Angle Driveline. When I called and talked to them, and explained what I wanted to get, he asked why I needed to do all of that for my application. After I told him about the vibes, he asked a lot of questions about how the truck was set up, and said it was all correct and shouldn't be having this issue. Then he asked if I had new motor and transmission mounts, and I told him everything was brand new. He asked what mounts I have, and I told him they were Prothane polyurethane mounts... he said that right there was my vibration problem. I changed out the motor mounts for new USA made factory rubber mounts, and now it doesn't have the vibrations. So if anyone is chasing weird vibrations while using polyurethane mounts, try changing them to rubber mounts.