The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2017, 12:31 AM   #1
88lowrider

Re: HELP, Broke down Again !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 S_Trucker View Post
That first pic you posted is the 88-90 style.

The next pic you posted is the 91-98(00) style.

They interchange, but you have to replace the entire motor. The plug is even the same.

A few threads down on the 88-98 board page is this:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=492998
This is Great !!!. Can't thank you enough.
My thing is still, How do I search for for something like the thread link you just gave me ? (cut me some slack, I am older than dirt ;-)
88lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:44 AM   #2
billnorman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88lowrider View Post
This is Great !!!. Can't thank you enough.
My thing is still, How do I search for for something like the thread link you just gave me ? (cut me some slack, I am older than dirt ;-)
This is DIRT speaking. Many of the 1988+ trucks had defective windshield wiper circuit boards that were recalled and fixed free by GM. I wouldn't be shocked if someone swapped an older motor assembly to replace a failed one.
billnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:54 AM   #3
88lowrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnorman View Post
This is DIRT speaking. Many of the 1988+ trucks had defective windshield wiper circuit boards that were recalled and fixed free by GM. I wouldn't be shocked if someone swapped an older motor assembly to replace a failed one.
I was looking at the costs to replace those circuit boards and it seems that the older ones like that fit the wiper motor in mine, are quite expensive in comparison to the newer style wiper motor.

I was told by a friend (owns a toyota) that if there is a recall and its not a class action law suit, that they still honer those recalls.
So, I might just go to a bone yard and get my the later model wiper motor from a California truck (less rain down south so the concept would be, less use on the wiper motor) and then go to a dealership and see if they will give me a new controller board for it.
A Not OEM board for the newer stile is less than 25 bucks so maybe the stealerships will use a Delco replacement board. No harm in trying :-)

I am the second owner on my truck and it came from a company called Overhead Door out of Portland. The truck had 65K on it and it was used by one of the owners to transfer small parts between Portland Oregon and Bend Oregon so most was highway miles.
When it came into my friends Chevrolet Dealership (Suburban Auto Group, home of the famed Trunk Monkey commercials) it was just in and Full of service records. The truck looked new other than scratches in the pickup bed. First thing I did was drop her.

Sorry for the blathering on but I think my next step is to get a used one from a bone yard.

Oh, speaking of bone yards, this is the wrong place to post this but I grew up in my Dads wrecking yard and I have all the old Hollendar Interchange books from the 50's and 60's and offering to look up things for folks.
More blathering :-)

Any idea on the interchange, what all years fit the 1988 GMC ?
88lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote