The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2018, 05:59 PM   #26
BGarza13x

Re: Redoing the Suburban headliner(how?)

There are 2 different ones from Brothers, according to the website. The foam backed cloth, that was in the previous threat:
https://www.brotherstrucks.com/67-72...tinfo/CHL72SC/
"BROTHERS now offers reproduction headliners for 1967-72 Suburbans. These foam-backed cloth headliners are manufactured to exacting specifications with the finest materials. They are sewn to align with the original 5 roof beams. Includes pre-sewn headliner, bows, clips and instructions."

But there is also a perforated vinyl set as well:
https://www.brotherstrucks.com/67-72...tinfo/CHL72SV/
"BROTHERS now offers reproduction headliners for 1967-72 Suburbans. These perforated vinyl headliners are manufactured to exacting specifications with the finest materials. They are sewn to align with the original 5 roof beams. Includes pre-sewn headliner, bows, clips and instructions."
BGarza13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:05 PM   #27
BGarza13x

I've been wondering if the perforated vinyl would be a good replacement, the foam cloth looks cheap. I'd rather take it to a local upholstery shop for cloth. I think I am leaning toward the plastic sheets, I really like the white roof. It makes it pop on the inside. Brother's doesn't even have a color sample sheet, so I wouldn't want to take a gamble on parchment vs natural beige....
BGarza13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:50 PM   #28
JoeKan

Hart Rod (or anyone) can you tell me what kind/type of insulation you used for the headliner? Do you spray with rustoleum?
JoeKan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:05 PM   #29
HO455
Post Whore

Used this style of material. Although I got it in a 5 foot wide roll. I didn't need to paint the inside of the roof. I just wiped down with a wax and grease remover prior.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Reach-Ba...FQvPZAodAI0E2w

I should add I did put some Bquiet mat up for sound insulation and the bubble foil is for heat insulation.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377

Last edited by HO455; 08-05-2018 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Last sentence added.
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:37 PM   #30
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekan View Post
hart rod (or anyone) can you tell me what kind/type of insulation you used for the headliner? Do you spray with rustoleum?
fatmat
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:52 PM   #31
JoeKan

This is the insulation I'm thinking about putting in my headliner for insulation and sound deadening. I'm wondering if the second one isn't enough to do both? Any ideas?

Noico 80 mil 36 sqft car Sound deadening mat, butyl automotive Sound Deadener, audio Noise Insulation and dampening

Noico Green 170 mil 18 sqft Сar waterproof sound insulation, heat and cool liner, Self-adhesive Closed Cell PE Foam Deadening Material (1/6'' Thick Sound Deadener)
Old 09-07-2018, 06:21 PM   #32
Bigdav160

I am not sure if those were suppose to be links but I used the Noico 80 mil 36 sqft car Sound deadening mat on my front/middle floor. It seems like a very nice product and pretty heavy. The Sub is still getting body work so no review of the performance. I used the Eastwood version on the floors of my '72 Corvette but I haven't done any long trips to tell how well it radiates heat away. The fiberglass floors would become unbearably hot in the summer on a long drive.

I haven't used the foam. No idea if it would be effective. Certainly it's not going to work at a radiant barrier.

edit: I used Reflectix under my headliner in the Sub.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:09 PM   #33
JoeKan

Thanks for the information, and yes, they were suppose to be links but don't know what happened?? I think I'm going to buy both.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:24 AM   #34
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

https://youtu.be/DKRqAsJ1N6k

https://www.lizardskin.com/car-ceramic-insulation.html

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:23 PM   #35
kingsizexl

Would anyone thats done one of the Brothers headliners be willing to take a pic of the install instruction and post? I'd love to see them before making up my mind if I want to do it or not.

Thanks.
kingsizexl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:29 AM   #36
bondo510

I am trying to have them made correctly . I just need a good pattern. That brothers one is going to look silly.
bondo510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:42 PM   #37
AnotherWs6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtoni View Post
I really, really, really want to know more about this. I checked out the thread from a few years back but it has one picture uninstalled and that's it. As with many others here, I am missing all of my bows. A headliner and some sound insulation would make my burb feel a lot more finished. Right now its a big tin can that rattles.
2010 Cadillac CTS Wagon Sport - Wife's DD and the only classy car we have.
AnotherWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:29 PM   #38
WannaBe68

The mythical headliner! I have been working on this missing piece since I picked up my Burb 2 years ago... While waiting for the interior guy to finish the headliner sections, I did put Dynamat on the ceiling metal and then a radiant barrier over that and I can say it changed the Burb completely! Then I also put another brand (like Dynamat) on the inside of all the metal panels, doors and also the floor. I also found a "nano-ceramic" film that I had put on all the windows that cuts down the UV and radiant heat coming in the the windows by up to 90%. All of this sound deadening/radiant barrier turned that old loud and hot as hell tin can into a Cadillac :-) (kind-of) Seriously - it is amazing just how much of a difference it all has made!

Here are some patterns I pulled off of this site from another thread. Good luck!
Attached Images

WannaBe68 is offline   Reply With Quote