The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2019, 11:06 AM   #1
fdbdw

Help identifying pinging/rattling

I have a pinging/rattle coming from my left bank exhaust about mid way down the exhaust pipe. Timing is good, A/F ratio numbers are good. Checked plugs and wires, all good. Happens at idle and low rpm but not all the time. It is the same exhaust side that has an O2 sensor, not sure if that is creating the sound some how. I’m at a loss, any experience, thoughts or ideas would be appreciated
fdbdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 02:14 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Help identifying pinging/rattling

Do you have an H- or X-pipe? If so, you could try blocking that side of the exhaust and see if the noise goes away. It could be a loose baffle in the muffler.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:22 PM   #3
Sparky dave

If it’s deffo not detonation. Have you a bolt loose in there or something
Sparky dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:57 PM   #4
fdbdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Do you have an H- or X-pipe? If so, you could try blocking that side of the exhaust and see if the noise goes away. It could be a loose baffle in the muffler.
Straight pipes, new mufflers, definitely coming from the left bank. Crawled under there again today can’t find anything loose or dangling that would make any noise. I’m baffled
Old 05-05-2019, 08:10 PM   #5
geezer#99

I put a set of headers on once and had the muffler shop weld the collectors to my pipes. After welding he used a cut off wheel to remove the excess pipe inside the collector. A small half round piece of the pipe somehow fell down inside where he couldn’t get to it. Bolted it up and figured I’d never know the difference. That little piece was floating around near the muffler. Sometimes it rattled, sometimes it didn’t. Just like yours. Ended up pulling the muffler off and finding it right there. Used some long needle nose pliers to snag it.

It’s those little things that drive you nuts! LOL!!
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 11:14 PM   #6
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

FWIW, I've seen brand new cars with broken baffles in the muffler. I'm not saying I'm right, it's just something to check. After seeing geezer#99's post, it occurs to me that you could use a mallet and tap the pipe and muffler to see if you can duplicate the rattling noise. I found a case where a car had the oil light flash when doing hard braking. Turned out that the oil pickup screen had fallen off the pump. I hit the pan with a rubber hammer, and could hear the screen plop back down onto the pan. That's one rare failure, right there!

Simi Valley, CA
Old 06-04-2019, 06:58 PM   #7
fdbdw

Still chasing this issue, new plugs, wires , even bought a new distributor thinking it may be
The issue. Check me out on this, I was thinking possibly predetonation, kept backing the timing off, ended up at ridicules ATDC numbers. Then decided to go the other way and it seemed to get better. Any chance I was to far retarded and that would cause a pinging sound in the exhaust? I feel like I have a good knowledge base on timing and tuning but this is driving me crazy.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:17 PM   #8
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Sufficiently retarded timing can have the fuel still combusting when it leave the cylinder. Without reading all the way through what was written previously, have you verified that the timing mark on the harmonic balancer is indeed indicating TDC when #1 cylinder is at TDC?

Simi Valley, CA
Old 06-05-2019, 07:12 AM   #9
clay68c10

Yes that is possible. I was running a very conservative timing table on the caddy at first, worried about pinging the stock hi compression pistons. I was getting the same noise, with the occasional exhaust backfire when my VE tables were too rich (usually in PE mode). I advanced the timing a few degrees and got my fueling right, no more noise. Engines definitely sound weird without enough advance.
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:41 AM   #10
fdbdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Sufficiently retarded timing can have the fuel still combusting when it leave the cylinder. Without reading all the way through what was written previously, have you verified that the timing mark on the harmonic balancer is indeed indicating TDC when #1 cylinder is at TDC?
I did verify TDC, but I’m going to re-check it along with everything else.