The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-03-2019, 02:38 PM   #1
Billy Blazer

Dana 60 questions

Hello! I recently picked up a 1972 C-20 that has a pinion seal leak along with both axle seals leaking. I started on the hub seals and brake wheel cylinders that are leaking (down the rabbit hole). Anyway when I took the hub off the spindle I noticed that it was missing the thrust washer was missing (according to the 1972 chevy truck chassis service manual 10 to 30). I spent the last few days searching the web trying to find one with no luck, so I decided to check the Dana/Spicer web site and ran across their publication X510-8 DSD, After searching through it I came across a Model 60 rear axle exploded view which doesn't show a thrust washer. Bottom line... Do I need one? Thanks for your help.
Billy Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:49 PM   #2
PepperTreeGarage

Re: Dana 60 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Blazer View Post
Hello! I recently picked up a 1972 C-20 that has a pinion seal leak along with both axle seals leaking. I started on the hub seals and brake wheel cylinders that are leaking (down the rabbit hole). Anyway when I took the hub off the spindle I noticed that it was missing the thrust washer was missing (according to the 1972 chevy truck chassis service manual 10 to 30). I spent the last few days searching the web trying to find one with no luck, so I decided to check the Dana/Spicer web site and ran across their publication X510-8 DSD, After searching through it I came across a Model 60 rear axle exploded view which doesn't show a thrust washer. Bottom line... Do I need one? Thanks for your help.
No "Hub Thrust Washer" on my '72 C20. Just follow the Dana/Spicer view and directions for hub nut torque and end play. That's what I did.
Attached Images

PepperTreeGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:44 PM   #3
Billy Blazer

Thank you!!! That has been bothering me. Now I can put it back together.That sure is a nice Dana you have there.
Billy Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:53 AM   #4
PepperTreeGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Blazer View Post
Thank you!!! That has been bothering me. Now I can put it back together.That sure is a nice Dana you have there.
Thanks. If you're having any problems finding parts through your local auto parts, Torque King is a great resource.....https://torqueking.com/
They answer their phone too. At least every time I called.
Also, Specifications 5, Section 4, Rear Suspension of your Service Manual has the wheel bearing adjustment specs. for the DANA 60 hubs.
Attached Images

PepperTreeGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:30 AM   #5
BCOWANWHEELS

tighten hubs down TIGHT then back nuts off until it spins fairly easy. use permatex ultra black silicone for axle seal. fill hubs with lube of your choice b4 axle install , do 1 side at a time, jack it up on 1 side a little to get hubs filled enough.
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote