The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2017, 01:18 PM   #1
BigRedMonster73

Starting Without a Key

Hey guys, I'm new to this site and I'm loving everything I've seen so far. Some great advice on here. A lot of background here. Anyway, I have a '73 Chevy K20 I dragged out of the woods like 2 years ago after I decided I wanted a project. It's 350/TH350/NP205/14blt FF. It has 330K miles and has seen a lot of abuse, my grandpa bought this brand new in '72 so I'm looking to eventually do something with it, after all, it's been sitting for a couple years since I did anything with it. My dad parked it in '92 and it was sitting in the back of the woods until '15 when I got the tractor and finally decided to do something with it. So we did not have a key for it after 23 years, and I bought a new lock cylinder set for 50 bucks with matching keys. So I rip the column apart and I get nowhere. The switch would not budge. It's gotten to the point where I stuck a screw into the lock cylinder and got a slide hammer on itand still nothing. So then I spray PB Blaster on the area and let it sit. Some got into the lock cylinder, and the next day a key worked and turned it. Keep in mind this is a year after I take it out of the woods, I only get to mess with it a couple times a year. Fresh battery, try to crank, nothing, not even a click. So I take the starter out and it's fine after I test it. If I could get the lock cylinder out I would just stick a screwdriver in it and push the rod. I could just make a bump switch to get power to the starter, I don't want to mess with the switch. I'm not sure what's actually preventing the starter from getting power since the lock cylinder is mechanical, but if anyone has a solution for the column or a suggestion for how I go about a bump switch, it would be greatly appreciated.
BigRedMonster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:36 PM   #2
geezer#99

Re: Starting Without a Key

Find the neutral safety switch and bypass it. Likely on the steering column near the firewall.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 02:30 AM   #3
Gregski
Post Whore

get yourself one of these Remote Start switches and hook the leads up to the two studs on the starter, may be a bit tight to connect them, so disconnect the battery before crawling under your truck so you don't run yourself over, ha ha, then press the trigger

I do a whole blow up and write up on the anatomy of the steering column in my Restoring Rusty thread here, check it out it might help

it could also be a broken sector gear in the steering column I talk about it here Truck Won't Start No Sounds No Noises Nothing
Attached Images

Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 03:29 PM   #4
BigRedMonster73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
get yourself one of these Remote Start switches and hook the leads up to the two studs on the starter, may be a bit tight to connect them, so disconnect the battery before crawling under your truck so you don't run yourself over, ha ha, then press the trigger

I do a whole blow up and write up on the anatomy of the steering column in my Restoring Rusty thread here, check it out it might help

it could also be a broken sector gear in the steering column I talk about it here Truck Won't Start No Sounds No Noises Nothing
Thanks! I'm would order one if I hadn't just bought a 400 small block to throw into it this summer... I read every page of Rusty's build thread... I have a soft spot for GMCs too! They're overlooked by everyone because they don't have a
BigRedMonster73 is offline   Reply With Quote