The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2011, 10:52 AM   #1
irongun324

Positive Camber from ball joint replacement?

So a month or so ago, had an alignment done, before I realized my ball joints were shot. Last weekend I replaced the ball joints with Moog parts, and after reassembly, i have some obvious positive camber on both wheels.

Is this normal? Did the alignment shop compensate for bad ball joints and now it's over done?
Dad's: 68 C10 Stepside (work truck condition, runs though)
59 Apache Fleetside (rusted pile of metal - hopefully soon to be father/son project when he cleans out his garage!)

Can see all three of these here
irongun324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #2
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: Positive Camber from ball joint replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irongun324 View Post
Is this normal? Did the alignment shop compensate for bad ball joints and now it's over done?
It is possible, but usually they inspect for worn parts before making any adjustments. They make their money from those parts.

Wait, I just realized that this is the 4x4 forum...Duh.

Something is funny here... assuming that you are refering to the 88 burb in your signature. That would be a straight axle truck, so there really isn't much that most alignment shops can do to it anyway.
Other than "toe", there is nothing that is actually an "adjustment". Caster and camber are essentially "built-in", they can be adjusted, but it is generally to compensate for damage....not part of routine maintenence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.

Last edited by LONGHAIR; 08-20-2011 at 02:55 PM.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Longhair is on the money. First why would an alignment shop proceed with an alignment if worn parts are on the truck? Settings would change as soon as you rolled it off the rack. I don't understand why shops do that. That being said camber is not an adjustable setting on a solid axle truck. You can tweak caster with a wedge between the housing and the spring, but camber itself is dictated by positioning of the inner "C" of the axle upper and lower ball joints. Seeing as how it's hard to put a ball joint in wrong to effect camber, the housing itself might be tweaked. Now that you've got ball joints in it, I'd see if the shop would put it back on the rack and recheck it to know for sure.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:03 AM   #4
turp mcspray

When you replaced the upper ball joints, were the threaded sleeves still there? There is an off-set sleeve that they can replace it with that will allow for some camber adjustment.
My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342299
turp mcspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:47 PM   #5
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by turp mcspray View Post
When you replaced the upper ball joints, were the threaded sleeves still there? There is an off-set sleeve that they can replace it with that will allow for some camber adjustment.
I've seen those for the twin-traction beam Fords, but not for straight axle front ends?
The sleeve is actually part of the torque (installation sequence), so you couldn't just rotate it to where you wanted....The sleeve is not much bigger than the taper of the ball joint, so it couldn't be off-set by much anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:02 AM   #6
turp mcspray

I had a 72 4x4 chevy once that had one in one side. That's the only reason I know they exist. My alignment guy pointed it out to me. When I replaced the ball joints, I replaced it with the regular threaded sleeve.
My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342299
turp mcspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:39 AM   #7
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turp mcspray View Post
I had a 72 4x4 chevy once that had one in one side. That's the only reason I know they exist. My alignment guy pointed it out to me. When I replaced the ball joints, I replaced it with the regular threaded sleeve.
Yep, Turp is right. BUT, they are generally only used to compensate for damage elsewhere, likely to the housing. A truck shouldn't "need" them. They come in different degrees. Otherwise known as camber/caster bushings...
Attached Images

"It takes a smart man to know when he's stupid." -- Barney Rubble

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=430367
TheWhiteElephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:59 PM   #8
irongun324

Yes, both uppers from Moog has these sleeves, and that crossed my mind as being a potential culprit too.

Either way, I took it back to the shop, they fixed the toe alignment, and the camber doesn't seem as bad now (both sides were inches out on toe supposedly, dont see how that's possible unless they did a horrible job last time).

It still seems noticeable to me, but according to the shop they are within spec, or not far enough out to cause a problem. But as you've all said, it cant e adjusted readily anyway.

I tried to place those sleeves approximately where the old ones were, as there aren't placement instructions with the package.
Dad's: 68 C10 Stepside (work truck condition, runs though)
59 Apache Fleetside (rusted pile of metal - hopefully soon to be father/son project when he cleans out his garage!)

Can see all three of these here
irongun324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:02 PM   #9
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irongun324 View Post
Yes, both uppers from Moog has these sleeves, and that crossed my mind as being a potential culprit too.

Either way, I took it back to the shop, they fixed the toe alignment, and the camber doesn't seem as bad now (both sides were inches out on toe supposedly, dont see how that's possible unless they did a horrible job last time).

It still seems noticeable to me, but according to the shop they are within spec, or not far enough out to cause a problem. But as you've all said, it cant e adjusted readily anyway.

I tried to place those sleeves approximately where the old ones were, as there aren't placement instructions with the package.
The Moogs I got had about 4 small sheets of instructions on them. Someone probably took the ones in your box. I followed the instructions on the '73 assembly manual I have, but the Chilton's and Haynes manuals have them also.

"It takes a smart man to know when he's stupid." -- Barney Rubble

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=430367
TheWhiteElephant is offline   Reply With Quote