The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2020, 12:15 PM   #1
PDW HOTRODS

Custom bench seat foam

Name:  IMG_2936_zpsri26uveo.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  82.2 KBI found an old thread with a pic of someones bench seat where they used the seat frame and took out all the springs and used plywood in place of springs. I have a 53 and I have the seat frame but both seat cushions are gone. I was thinking of how to make cushions. Doe anyone know what foam to use? The stock seat had wire to hold the shape, foam would need to be stiff to hold the shame.
PDW HOTRODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 01:34 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Custom bench seat foam

It's high density foam, not that camper pad foam from Fred Meyers for sure. The good stuff is pretty spendy. At least the good boat cushion stuff is.

I'd be asking this outfit in Eugene on what they recommend. https://www.bhupholsterysupply.com/ They seem to be a main supplier for that area.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:00 PM   #3
PDW HOTRODS

Are there different stiffness of high density foam? I thought there were and you could layer it stiffer on the bottom.
PDW HOTRODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:36 PM   #4
NorCalGal

Foam density
Flexible polyurethane foam is available in a broad range of densities, ranging from as low as 0.8 pcf to as high as 6 pcf. Most foam applications utilize foam in the 0.9 to 2.5 pcf density range. Foam density is a function of the density of the virgin, or unfilled foam.
The Importance of Density The Definition o…
www.pfa.org/intouch/new_pdf/lr_IntouchV1.2.pdf
Posted via Mobile Device
NorCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 03:33 PM   #5
jweb

Here's a chart of some foams that are available and their uses. We use HR foam Q51 or Q61 in most of the aircraft seats we make.

https://www.rexpeggfabrics.com/index...am|482|157|158
1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 05:57 AM   #6
Iceman_70

I started with burlap over the springs and then some heavy jute padding

For the seat I've added 2 layer of High Resiliant polyurethane foam to get 2" in total. First layer was HR SG 55 Ultra firm foam (3cm) to spread the weight on the springs. Next a softer HR SG 52 firm (2cm) layer that was wrapped with some stocking to avoid friction with the cover

For the back I used a 2" of HR SG 50 soft layer to avoid being pushed forward.

Initially I was planning on using (cheaper) poly-ether foam, but the local store said I was better off with polyurethane in the long run. The 'SG' parameter is specifying the density or how many kg there is in a cubic meter. When you look at the numbers it seems there is little difference, but when you hold in your hands you feel that the SG 55 is much stiffer and denser then the SG50.

End result is bench with a firm seat, even for my weight
Iceman_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 05:53 PM   #7
LEEVON

Check out page 26 of my "Popeye" build thread...if you have questions ask away! If I were to do it again, I'd make the back much thinner. I'm 6-3 for reference, the height is great it's just too upright and close to the steering wheel, but still better position than the stock seat.

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...383265&page=26
Old 07-17-2020, 11:31 AM   #8
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDW HOTRODS View Post
Are there different stiffness of high density foam? I thought there were and you could layer it stiffer on the bottom.
That is how some shops do it to give you a firm seat that is softer to sit on.

I'd ask the supplier I posted the link to and maybe ask them if there was a high quality shop close to you that you could talk to to confirm you are on the right track.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 11:27 AM   #9
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
It's high density foam, not that camper pad foam from Fred Meyers for sure. The good stuff is pretty spendy. At least the good boat cushion stuff is.

I'd be asking this outfit in Eugene on what they recommend. https://www.bhupholsterysupply.com/ They seem to be a main supplier for that area.
I was going to add i used the camper pad from fred and felt really good about it until now. Works for me and cheap as well. It only has to last longer than my ancient oversize butt! Its so comfy i caught more than one pot head mechanic asleep on it during their 2 hour lunch.
Attached Images

vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 12:59 PM   #10
jweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
I was going to add i used the camper pad from fred and felt really good about it until now. Works for me and cheap as well. It only has to last longer than my ancient oversize butt! Its so comfy i caught more than one pot head mechanic asleep on it during their 2 hour lunch.
The cheap foam works fine when you put it on top of the springs. You really want the HD foam when you have eliminated the springs to give you a similar firm base.
1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:17 PM   #11
vintovka

My seat was kind of an ordeal. No broken springs but the front edges and some of the cross bars were broken. Made some new bars by copying old. and added a whole new front rail. I put heavy commercial carpet over the springs and then the foam. Then there was the issue of this combination being almost too tall for a stock cover from Classic to fit. Had to heat seat near the wood stove as was mid winter and too cold in garage.. Played hell with the hog rings and clips. Had to climb on the seat when it was upside down compress foam to get enough "meat" to attach what i consider a bare minimum, medium quality (and short cut) re pop seat cover. MY Butt is now very comfy an no complaints from other butts yet.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote